Terminology and how to?

aktaion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM 1500 CI+
My Location
Scotland
Dear friends,

I am so totally clueless about satellites but I have a keen interest to learn. I am using a Technomate TM 1500 Super CI+ and works well. Leaving in Scotland and receiving Hotbird (13 East) and some ASTRA channels. Mainly interested on Greek programmes although I enjoy the many other available free channels (i.e. news channels, sport etc.)

Anyhow, as I am trying to educated myself have a few questions for anyone who perhaps could help me.

1. What is BISS? This is part of the System information menu and looks like you insert numeric and letter codes on different lines.

2. One of the facilities on the receiver box is to download latest software from the manufacturer's site. Why is this and what would actually give me? My PC does not have a null cable to download on the receiver.

3. I have seen on some web sites lists of "keys". What are these and how do you insert them in the receiver box?

Thanks a lot in anticipation of your help.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
In no particular order to the questions:

(a) Sometimes it is beneficial to upgrade a receiver's official software either for added functionality or greater ease of use; in light of answers to follow, it is sometimes better to leave well alone.

(b) In place or on top of official software that came with receiver at manufacture or original sale, it sometimes happen that people load unofficial software also called 'patch' (made by third parties) into the receiver which sometimes allows the owner to watch encrypted channels not subscribed to. This type of official software often needs to work with the right 'keys' for the particular encryption and these keys need to be loaded into the receiver either manually by remote control or by software transfer.

(c) BISS is a particular type of encryption system.

NB if your receiver has the BISS menu, the likelihood is that it has a patch of some date in it.

aktaion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM 1500 CI+
My Location
Scotland
Thanks bigtee,
I appreciate the details you gave me. Any info I can get is valuable to start understanding more how satellites work.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Please DO NOT ask the same questions over and over again in different parts of the forum!. We have now removed the other copies of your question.

One question - ONE thread please :)

aktaion

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM 1500 CI+
My Location
Scotland
Sorry guys,

Apologies for re-posting the same message. I know now,