Terrestrial modulator

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Make a recording of the video on the satellite receiver, then open in VLC and see what the audio codec is, I suspect it's PCM stereo. I presume the setting on the modulator is for the input side and not the output, if there's no AAC bitstream on the input cable then there'll be silence - this is just guessing, uploading the manual would help us to understand what's going on. What device/video are you inputting to the modulator?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
Maybe I understand now.... do you mean to make a recording of the complete TS stream in the hdd inside the box? If so, tomorrow I will try.
Not sure that AAC audio option is for the input stream. The input come from its HDMI IN port, and HDMI streams a PCM, non-compressed audio.
I tried to connect my AppleTV and another satellite receiver to the modulator input port obtaining the same result. No output sound when switching from MPEG to AAC.
The user manual is a little paper providing no information about this topic, but the modulator is the Technomate, the only one they produce, and as I said in my previous posts I'm very happy with it.
I never tested AAC sound before, today I wanted to try and I discovered this issue. It is not a problem because I continue to use the modulator with MPEG audio, but I would like to understand the problem.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Yes record the DVB-T channel like you would a satellite channel. HDMI can carry various formats of audio. The most compatible is PCM which is probably the default on the devices you are inputting. You may be able to set the audio output to bitstream/BS within the menus of the device so it sends the raw undecoded stream, however if there's no AAC stream available to send you will get silence anyway.

Does the manual or box have a specifications list or table?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
I would like to change video rate of the RF signal from 30Hz to 25Hz but it seems not possible.
Maybe by such firmware update? Anyone knows if something would be available? Thanks.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
I assumed input frame rate = output frame rate :confused

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
No, just tested now with my AppleTV 4K. Input frequency is 50Hz (progressive), but output frequency is 30Hz, not 25Hz like I thought.
No settings available in the menu. Only video and audio bitrates (and audio format) can be modified. This is the reason for which I think that such firmware update would be needed (if any). Thanks.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
That's disappointing, even if 25hz was output I'd be annoyed. What happens if you input 1080i50 or 1080p50?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
AppleTV 4K is now set to 1080p50, and output is 1080p30. Not sure what happens setting input at 1080i50, I can try.
As I said in my previous posts, the modulator quality is very good, and I did not expect that a video rate conversion is involved. I discovered it last week analyzing a recording made from a receiver connected to the modulator. I thought that some setting was wrong, but checking the modulator menu I noted that no video rate settings are available. Bad luck.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
You could ask Technomate. Wether they'll have a solution or even reply I do not know.

I thought I'd asked other members on here, who have 1080 HDMI modulators, what the output was was when 50hz was input and the reply was 50hz however I can't seem to find it. If that's correct I'd downgrade to a 1080 HDMI modulator.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
Just tried to contact Technomate but it seems impossible.
As soon as I attempt to send my form, i receive this message:
Error: No form submission.
And I must only go back to the previous page.
I suspect that I will stay stuck with 30Hz, but as I mentioned this modulator is good anyway.