Advice Needed TM 5402-M4 and driving dish - Positioner box 36v

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
Is anyone using the TM5402-M4 to drive their dish via a positioner box? Currently on my 1.2m CM i use an Octagon SF8008 which is connected to a V-BOX - works well. Im wondering what i could use without buying another Enigma2 (which i prefer over closed source ST:cool: to drive the 1.8m.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Any DiSEqC 1.2 compatible receiver will do. One that allows you to choose which position number is used for each satellite would be handy (though not vital).

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB
Is anyone using the TM5402-M4 to drive their dish via a positioner box? Currently on my 1.2m CM i use an Octagon SF8008 which is connected to a V-BOX - works well. Im wondering what i could use without buying another Enigma2 (which i prefer over closed source ST:cool: to drive the 1.8m.
Ask Barney on SU

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

manic01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5402 mk1/2/3/4 TM1500 TM Mini various TM Nano various TM600 TM F3/5 TM Twin etc etc TD110
My Location
GB
Staff Note

Could you please be more explicit, so that all Members can understand?
Ask barney115 on Satuniverse forum or satpimps, manikm909 knows him well and Barney has various setups large small medium dishes etc using diseqc, positioner etc and also a TM5402 M4

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Not sure what you’re trying to achieve but I’ve attempted something like this in the past. If you’re trying to achieve some form of system integration this DIY project from one of the board’s esteemed members @RimaNTSS might just be the way to go. There’s plenty of well qualified members here as you well know who would only be too glad to point you in the right direction on this topic Positioner for SAT antenna

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not sure what you’re trying to achieve but I’ve attempted something like this in the past. If you’re trying to achieve some form of system integration this DIY project from one of the board’s esteemed members @RimaNTSS might just be the way to go. There’s plenty of well qualified members here as you well know who would only be too glad to point you in the right direction on this topic Positioner for SAT antenna
There is also Dreambox1959's two year old thread with a very nice design and updates.

Home made diseqc positioner

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
There is also Dreambox1959's two year old thread with a very nice design and updates.

Home made diseqc positioner
There’s a few good DIY solutions out there using cheap (as in price) commercially available components. This one in particular looks very interesting and appears doable by the ordinary Joe Average without an engineering degree GitHub - AK-Homberger/Satellite-Dish-Positioner: An automatical satellite dish positioner with ESP8266 D1 Mini, compass and MPU.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
There’s a few good DIY solutions out there using cheap (as in price) commercially available components. This one in particular looks very interesting and appears doable by the ordinary Joe Average without an engineering degree GitHub - AK-Homberger/Satellite-Dish-Positioner: An automatical satellite dish positioner with ESP8266 D1 Mini, compass and MPU.

Interesting use of the compass & gyroscope. Obviously the motor/mount design is no good for a 1.8m but for motorhome/caravan/barge use it's much cheaper than the off-the-shelf systems.

It would be interesting to see how accurate & consistent a compass/gyro based dish positioning system is.

Satspot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM5402 M4
1.2m Triax dish
Technomate H to H motor
My Location
Ireland
Interesting use of the compass & gyroscope. Obviously the motor/mount design is no good for a 1.8m but for motorhome/caravan/barge use it's much cheaper than the off-the-shelf systems.

It would be interesting to see how accurate & consistent a compass/gyro based dish positioning system is.
Love the whole “thinking outside the box” DIY concept instead of throwing cash at a pre made solution and how these different hobbies can crossover nicely.