Dae2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish1: Freesat direct to panasonic plasma TV
Dish2: TotalTV box currently dead
PC: Various, Windows & Linux
My Location
Berkshire
Will a Total TV card work in any other NDS box, e.g. Sky?

I've just imported a TotalTV box & card into the UK, but it seems the box is faulty and needs to go back to the shop. Since the shop is in Serbia, this may take me a while to manage.

In the meantime, I noticed that the card encryption is made by the same company used by Sky, and I wondered if any old NDS box would be able to use the (allegedly) working, activated, card I have sitting doing nothing.

If I buy a second-hand sky box, will I be able to use it? Will I have to be careful about voltages? I gather the Total TV card uses 3.3v like the newer Sky cards, but will an old box fry my card?

One day I might get an Icecrypt S4000 PVR, which has a card reader, but then I gather I'll need to tweak the software to cope with NDS cards, so that doesn't sound like a quick fix.

Right now I'm looking for any solution that doesn't involve shipping stuff to/from Serbia.

Any plausible suggestions would be appreciated.

D

deleted

I wouldnt have thought so card has to be paired to the box, otherwise we could all take our cards to each others boxes

Dae2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish1: Freesat direct to panasonic plasma TV
Dish2: TotalTV box currently dead
PC: Various, Windows & Linux
My Location
Berkshire
To be honest, I didn't realise you couldn't. Since there exists a market in second-hand sky boxes, I assumed you could stick a card in and go.

There must be a way to pair cards with new boxes, if the underlying technology is compatible. This is a perfectly legitimate card, so I can always phone the supplier. The compatibility question is the big one.

kalehrl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500+;
Echostar 770 (Strong 6155);
90cm Triax dish;
Strong DM2100 diseqc motor.
My Location
Serbia
Unfortunately, total tv card is paired to the receiver it was activated in and it can't be used in another.
You can't even use it in another total tv receiver let alone Sky UK box.
However, you can use it in a dreambox but you will have to modify the reader to 3.3V.
Another way is to use a smargo cardreader and attach it to a dreambox with USB port.