Tutorial - Streaming DM7025 To Internet - Including Pictures.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Hi peeps. This is a revised version of my DM7025 streaming tutorial for the following reasons.

1. Original post lost most of its pictures - No idea why.
  2. I can't edit that post - No idea why.
  3. I know more about this subject now.
So here goes guys.

What you'll need.
1. VLC Media Player
2. A Working LAN
3. A DM7025 (This tutorial is based on using the latest Gemini2 image)
4. Some time

Firstly if you're using a router then your gonna need to forward a port to the IP address of your PC. Choose any port that makes sense. Lets use 12001 for the purposes of this tutorial. OK, have you done that ? Good, lets start.

1. Install VLC media player available here (Windows Version).
2. Ok, once installed, run it. It looks like this.

View attachment 14622

3. Click File, Open Network Stream.
4. Now also open up your enigma web interface. Simply open your web broswer and enter the IP number of your DM7025. It looks like this.

View attachment 14623

5. Find the channel you want to stream by selecting the bouquet its in. Then right click on the 'Stream Service' icon and select 'Copy ShortCut'. It looks like this.

View attachment 14624

6. OK, thats us done with the enigma web interface.
7. Back in VLC , in the Open Network page. Select the HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS option , and right click in the URL box and select paste. This should paste in the location of the stream service you just copied from the enigma web interace.
8. Also check the box for Stream/Save and Caching. Leave the default Caching value at 1200. It should all look like this.

View attachment 14625

9. Don't worry about the Customize box, that gets updated as you change things.
10. Now click Settings.
11. Check the box for MMSH, and enter your PC's IP address in the address box. This is the local lan address of the pc you are now working on. The one running VLC. Also change the port number to the one you forwared to your PC in your router setup.
12. Encapsulation Method , leave as MPEG TS.
13. In the transcoding options there's a bit to do.
14. Check the box for video codec and set to WMV1 in the drop down box, now set the options to :- Bitrate = 768 kbps, Scale = 0.5
15. Check the box for audio codec and set to mp3 in the drop down box, now set the options to :- Bitrate = 128 kbps, Channels = 2
16. At the bottom check the box for 'Select all elementary streams' and set TTL to 5. It should all look like this.

View attachment 14626

17. Click OK , then OK again. You'll find yourself back at the small front control panel of VLC, however now, you should see the stream information in the bottom status bar.
18. Now simply open windows media player, click File, Open URL, and enter the following. mms://yourip:12001 for example. mms://80.90.100.110:12001

Now you should see your stream. Wonderful...

Well, I hope this tutorial is straight forward and easy to follow. Try playing around with the stream settings to alter quality depending how quick you can upload. If you just wanna do this across your LAN then you can give it full whack and get a great picture.

Kind Regards
B16MCC

Attachments

• VLC-1.jpg
    VLC-1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • VLC-2.jpg
    VLC-2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • VLC-3.jpg
    VLC-3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,422
  • VLC-4.jpg
    VLC-4.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,402
  • VLC-5.jpg
    VLC-5.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,137

Chit Chat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
14 Feet C-Band Mesh Dish and TECHNOSAT CX - Digital Satellite Receiver.
My Location
Bangalore - INDIA
Hi B16MCC,

Thanks for for posting that tutorial. I do have a question whose answer I have been trying to search for in this forum in vain. Now, suppose I have a friend out there in the UK who needs to stream some channels from Intelsat 903 at 34.5°W on the internet. Can I receive the same here in India? What if the place that I am falls outside the footprint of the satellite from which the channels are being streamed, would I still receive them?

To make my point clearer, I would like to know whether or not it's possible for me to receive KTN (Kenya), NTV (Kenya) and KBC Channel 1 on Intelsat 903 at 34.5°W (NE zone beam) if they are streamed on the internet from the UK? Below are the links:

http://www.lyngsat.com/intel903.html

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel903_nezone.html

Kind regards,
Chit Chat.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Yes you can receive the stream. Receiving a stream has got nothing to do with your satellite equipment, it is simply sent via the internet just like anything else.

If your friend can receive the channel on his dreambox, then he simply needs to setup a stream using VLC and you can watch it on your PC using Windows Media Player.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
am i right in saying i will not need a static ip address.because as long as the strem is running it will not change. correct me if im wrong.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The example seems to be for a LAN based PC and Dreambox?

If the PC is not on the LAN but on the Internet, how do you configure port forwarding between the router to the Dreambox so that VLC can open that stream using the router IP address and your chosen port? Or is #18 your static IP address? Does it work with dyndns?

I don't have the same menu options in point #5 but does it have the LAN IP address in it?

I can't test it because my router doesn't support using a WAN IP address from within my LAN. I tried it last year at work but couldn't get the Dreambox to stream as VLC tried to open a LAN IP address even when I used a WAN IP address.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Mongoose, strictly speaking you're right, but I wouldn't rely on that fact. I guess thats down to your router really, if that stays up 24/7 then your IP will remain the same.

mhku, lets try and clear up a few points....

1. Yes, the example is for a PC and Dreambox on the same router LAN.
2. I would have to do some research into streaming from a PC thats outside the dreambox LAN.
3. Point 18 is your WAN IP address as assigned by your ISP.
4. Yes you could replace this with a dyndns address, I do it all the time.
5. I see you're using a DM7020 so your web interface is very different, and yes this link contains the IP address of the Dreambox.
6. I'm a little confused about your comments regarding testing. Anyone can test their own stream by using Point 18 in the tutorial.

I'm happy to research and advise on this subject as much as you like. Always happy to help...

Regards
MCC.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Your title says "streaming to the internet" so I assumed you meant streaming from your Dreambox to a PC on the internet (not on your LAN)?

Opening a stream on a LAN PC is easy but I can't test my stream from within my LAN using a WAN IP address as my router gets confused :)

e.g. if my static IP address is 82.83.156.71 and port 31339 is forwarded to my Dreambox, I can't open 82.83.156.71:31339 from within my LAN. I meant to try yesterday when I in the office but forgot.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
I think we're getting a little confused here mate. The dreambox and PC are on the same lan, but both are also connected to the internet through the same router. The PC takes the stream from the LAN and puts it up onto the internet.

It can then be received by many PC's at the same time anywhere in the world.

Let me try and explain with the use of a simple diagram.

Attachments

• Streaming.JPG
    Streaming.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 529

Chit Chat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
14 Feet C-Band Mesh Dish and TECHNOSAT CX - Digital Satellite Receiver.
My Location
Bangalore - INDIA
B16MCC said:
I think we're getting a little confused here mate. The dreambox and PC are on the same lan, but both are also connected to the internet through the same router. The PC takes the stream from the LAN and puts it up onto the internet.

It can then be received by many PC's at the same time anywhere in the world.

Let me try and explain with the use of a simple diagram.

B16MCC, thanks for that diagram. I think it drives home your point. Now let's try it out practically :). Check out post #2 and tell me what to do in order to receive the stream here in Bangalore - India. With a 20Mbit cable, I presume your upload speed is also 20Mbit?

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
No mate. my upload is 1.5mbit but my streams perform very well at this speed.
With regard to post #2 , if the stream is setup in the UK , you simply access it using the IP address and port number in Media Player. As described in the last part of the tutorial.

matawi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird,
My Location
saudi arabia
i gotta try this with my DM-500S and i will let you know if it works.. thortically .. It should.. thanks mates

hungary2006

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX 7025+
My Location
Suomi
Hello,

Is it possible to stream two different channels from DB 7025+ simultaneous? B4 I can watch 2 diferent channles on my DB but not any more. I don't know what happens to it.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Yes it is. I can stream 4 from my DM8000.

grolandsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX
My Location
uk
Hi,

I am new to dreambox world.

i would like to stream some footy for my friends. i have dreambox 500s , i got dyndns ip address. i am also using enigma and cccam for cardsharing.

can you please show me the easiest way to stream?

also i would like to record some of the programs, is there a way to do it.

thanks

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
The easiest way to stream is to use this tutorial. Read it 3 times, then if you have any troubles then just ask .

sitja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital, dreambox 500s using cccam 2.0.9 with gemini 4.2 image
My Location
ireland
hi guys b16mcc how do you access the vlc player using enigma1?? i see your tutorial here but cant copy shortcut like you have done in images??

madmanuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
uk
pli-Jade-dm500-20090627-6494
yo lads i was told this image is good for streaming movies from pc to tv i have put the image on put don't know how to setint up for streaming,thanks lads.

student

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+ 500GB, 85cm transparent dish on motor, 50Mbit line, Czech Link
My Location
East coast UK
Hi B16MCC, i know this is old thread, but i am still using my 7025. I have been trying all afternoon to get this streaming working with no luck.
I have read it several times, and checked my settings multiple times. I get to point 18, press OK twice, and get the stream information at the bottom of the window for about 8-10 seconds, them it stops. When i try to access the mms on my other PC it tells me its nothing there.
I am not sure where i am making mistake or whether i have set up my router wrong.
Any help with this would be greatly appriciated, many thanks student

Just to add, i have made the stream to play localy at the same time. And yes, it does crash after only very few seconds, any tips how to fix that? Thanks

toonage

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox d500 on usals
My Location
newcastle upon tyne
This guide works a treat. Previously used other software to set up but VLC would close down after a few minutes. This is easy and would like to say thankyou very much for the tutorial