Twin receiver setup.

kennyv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 strong srt 7404 receivers, standard sky universal lnb, on a round 600 dish
My Location
croydon
Hi and thanks for being out there and letting me join the site. I have very basic knowledge of setting up dish lnb and receivers, for myself and family over the years, I expect ive done 10. All fairly straight forward installations, on sky system or freesat, in england on my house in France. I have an in-law that does translation, and likes to keep up with french and german channels, and he asked me if he could have 2 receivers in different parts of the house. I said yes, he had a sky quad j4l with only 1 port being used, so i installed a new twin cable from dish to conservatory, and installed 2 Strong srt 7404 receivers, one in conservatory and one to replace old unit in lounge, both which have tnt card readers built in and used. Both receivers are showing 98 to 99 strength and quality. and appear to work independently very well. However he says that trying to record sometimes one locks up says its recording and does not and actually locks. Now I, to a degree understand the switching situation and that one receiver may be calling the tune. Could anyone advice me if a change of LNB maybe to a Quattro , with independent ports is the answer, to stop the clashing. I did maybe naively replace the Sky LNB for a visableware vk4l universal LNB, but to no avail. Thanks for bearing with me on a long opening input.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Faulty receivers, (unless you have not upgraded the software to the latest )send them back.

You can confirm this by disconnecting one from the electricity and trying another recording or three.

kennyv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
croydon
Faulty receivers, (unless you have not upgraded the software to the latest )send them back.

You can confirm this by disconnecting one from the electricity and trying another recording or three.
wow thanks for the prompt response. As you have not criticised or knocked or condemned the visableware vk4l universal LNB. Does that mean the LNB should be able to cope with the two receivers, running at the same time, in what ever mode they want. And would you happen to know if the 4 ports are totally independent or paired in some way. I do appreciate these really are questions for the manufacturer to answer, but if you did have the answers I would be very grateful.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
HAve you already tried what I suggested ?

The only time an LNB might struggle is if the two receivers are being connected across two different mains phase supplies, though they are designed to cope with this.

What size dish do you have on the property ?

kennyv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
croydon
HAve you already tried what I suggested ?

The only time an LNB might struggle is if the two receivers are being connected across two different mains phase supplies, though they are designed to cope with this.

What size dish do you have on the property ?
Haven't had chance to check the software version, you were too quick for me, and i have to go round to their house to check. I have emailed Strong this evening to ask the latest version. will check over the weekend. The dish is a 600 I believe. and it would have to be a single phase supply. Although in france I do have a 3-phase mains. with only 15amp max on each. (just out of interest) Thank you again for your help