Newbie Here UK user - what FTA channels are available beyond 28.2e?

elsmandino

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Linux Server (Running Openmediavault for OS and TVHeadend for PVR).
Internal TV Tuner Cards - Hauppauge HVR-2200 (Dual DVB-T) & Hauppauge Nova HDS2 (DVB-S2)
Server connected to multiple Raspberry Pis (running Librelec) via Gigabit Network.
My Location
Essex, England
This is all very encouraging stuff and I think I have a much better understanding too.

Am I correct in thinking that there are two types of CAMs - Hard and Soft and that Oscam is Soft(ware)?

Is it on this basis, then, that you don't need a CI slot, you just need a USB smart card reader and the corresponding smart card?

One other important thing - is anyone familiar enough with the Digit R1 (also known as Inverto IDL-400s and Grunding GSS.BOX) to know whether it supports motorised satellite dishes?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Am I correct in thinking that there are two types of CAMs - Hard and Soft and that Oscam is Soft(ware)?
Yes, essentially. There are two type of 'hardware' CAMs. One is CI and the other is CI+. Both look the same but the latter will only work in receivers that specifically support this. This CI+ CAM is necessary for cards, which are "paired" - i.e. can only be used in that particular CAM and nowhere else.

Is it on this basis, then, that you don't need a CI slot, you just need a USB smart card reader and the corresponding smart card?
Yes but be careful - an increasing number of cards will not work in those readers...

A

Archive7

One other important thing - is anyone familiar enough with the Digit R1 (also known as Inverto IDL-400s and Grunding GSS.BOX) to know whether it supports motorised satellite dishes?
I checked all three models and none of them mention motor support.
I think a motorized system can be very frustrating to clients who want to watch a certain channel and it suddenly disappears.

A

Archive7

I would add that there are also hardware smartcard readers that are built into the receivers and they enable decrypting the channels using the manufacturer's software. For example TNTSAT dedicated receivers or SkyItalia receivers.