Upside down offset dish

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy
So, this thread is becoming more and more interesting! OK, differences between prime focus and offset dishes are clearer to me now. I'm seriously evaluating complete system by SSS including Raven 2.4m and its inclined orbit polarmount. Not sure what is maximum arc range, and I must solve feed motorisation issue. The solution linked by s-band seems interesting, but I'm not able to build one mechanically, and I need something that I can control with 24 volt out from the RC2000a. I will decide during the next few weeks and I surely update this thread after my final decision will be taken. Thank you to all forum members for your very great advices.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

So now SMC is back on the cards.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 2.4m motorised offset dish, Viking Ku-band 2-ports motorised feed, 2 SMW LNBs, RC2000A, Dreambox DM920.
My Location
Milan, Italy

So now SMC is back on the cards.

I think so. Reading and reading and reading you learn, and maybe change ideas and projects.
What about this feed for that Raven 2.4m offset dish?
But I suspect that it can not be controlled by RC2000a... What do you think? Anyone knows this device? Thanks.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
OK, basically I just took my decision: Raven dish with its own Polar Mount by SSS.
But I'm little bit stuck between 2.4m:
...and 1.8m:
Both systems seem similar, obviously 2.4m dish has a larger and havier Polar Mount.
Probably 1.8m is enough for most application in Europe, but I want to get feeds too, and as you know many feeds are often weaker than common signals, so 2.4m could be very important.
Do you know the exact weight of both dishes? I suspect there are big differences in weight and wind load. I really do not know how can be the weight of a 2.4m SMC dish. If it was aliminium made.... well, probably it would be around 30 or 40 kg, but no idea about SMC. I must install the dish on the roof with a pole mounted in the concrete. What do you think? Thanks.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
OK, basically I just took my decision: Raven dish with its own Polar Mount by SSS.
But I'm little bit stuck between 2.4m:
...and 1.8m:
Both systems seem similar, obviously 2.4m dish has a larger and havier Polar Mount.
Probably 1.8m is enough for most application in Europe, but I want to get feeds too, and as you know many feeds are often weaker than common signals, so 2.4m could be very important.
Do you know the exact weight of both dishes? I suspect there are big differences in weight and wind load. I really do not know how can be the weight of a 2.4m SMC dish. If it was aliminium made.... well, probably it would be around 30 or 40 kg, but no idea about SMC. I must install the dish on the roof with a pole mounted in the concrete. What do you think ?
You have not 'took your decision' then.

80kgs - Channel Master / Andrews 1.8m Dish With Azel Mount

Almost double for the 2.4 including bolts but not the mounting or polar accessories.

Shipping weight will be at the liberty of the supplier and how much packing material they choose to put around the parts.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...What do you think? Thanks.

Go for the 2.4m setup, you know you want to.

If you get the 1.8m setup you will always be thinking that the 2.4m would be locking the signals that the 1.8m dish cannot lock.
C-Band would also be better with the 2.4m where a 1.8m might struggle for signal locks on some feed satellites.

The other option with the Raven dish is that you can fit the rotating LNB feed assembly where LNB's for different bands can be rotated by a motor to be always at the central point, no side attached LNB's needed.

If it's big it must be good.
Go for the 2.4m setup, you know you want to.

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Has SSS advised you of how much sales tax, import duty and handling charges you will be liable to pay when importing the system into Italy?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
Yes Channel Hopper, I must take my final decision, but basically I'm restricted to these two dishes. Thank you for your data, but please could you explain better? I know that Polar mount weight is around 40kg or so (it is not a problem), but what about dish weight WITHOUT any mount? This is important for me because I must take the dish up on the roof during installation. So, as I said, in my experience a 2.4m aluminium dish weight is around 40kg (maybe a little bit less), if SMC is heavier I must understand if it is possible for me to take up! This is my doubt. Well, Moonbase...... yes you are right. I want it! It would be very difficult to accept any "no lock" situation due to a small dish when I could install a larger one.... it is so simple! But, again, I must understand if I would able to take it up on the roof because it is a big 1-piece dish (oh I do not want any petalised one!).
Ozumo: no problem to import to Italy. I just bought other devices last Spring after brexit. Cancelling all taxes by the dealer is enough, we pay them to the custom as soon as the shipment arrives at the first hub in the country. So no problem. Thanks.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
But, again, I must understand if I would able to take it up on the roof because it is a big 1-piece dish (oh I do not want any petalised one!)
The Channel Master 2.4m is a two piece dish.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Don't underestimate the size of the 2.4m. It is HUGE. As Ozumo said, it's a 2 piece dish and is easier to transport and maneuver than a 1.8m.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
Ohh, I didn't know that, I was convinced that it is 1 piece, so the weight would not a problem.
I never used dishes made in more than 1 piece, I never wanted, prefering 1-piece antennas.
So, what about installation? Have you any advice for a proper combination of the two parts? Thanks.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Installation, including assembling of the two pieces, is mentioned in good detail in that link Channel Hopper posted in post 25...

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
Yes, just downloaded that manual, very interesting.
So Channel Hopper, now I'm really taking my final decision! And I must to thank all of you.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes, just downloaded that manual, very interesting.
So Channel Hopper, now I'm really taking my final decision! And I must to thank all of you.

If you buy the 1.8m dish you will always be thinking about how much better the 2.4m would have been.
There is no decision, you know you are going to buy the 2.4m dish.

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
Moonbase, that dish is not so good because it is big.... the main reason for choosing is the other you mentioned! If I would not lock such particular signal I do not want to think "ohh... I could purchase the bigger dish". So, this is my decision: 2.4m. Full stop.
I hope to post some picture during next Autumn.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Moonbase, that dish is not so good because it is big....

It is being big that makes the 2.4m dish good, a small 1.8m dish is not so good as a big 2.4m dish.

Big will lock more signals than small.

You have made a good choice, the 2.4m dish will perform very nice when it is installed.

italy2006

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
starsat
My Location
iran
does this way increase signal of channels?

7mdish

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Milan, Italy
What it means? Bigger dish, stronger signal. It is so simple!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
does this way increase signal of channels?

If you mean does mounting an offset dish upside down increase signal, the answer is no.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Well... there's potentially less ground noise but I don't think it would be anything tangible.