Advice Needed Using signal distribution system ?

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Fracarro Penta Digit 68cm Dish at 28e, unbranded 60cm dish at 9e/13e/19e, EMP Centauri S8/1PCP-W2 switch emulating diseqc motor
My Location
Nantes, France
I live in a small dul-de-sac in France, which have houses and apartments.
On the apartments there are sat dishes at 19e and 13e, plus antennas for tv and radio.

I've already set up a dish system on my house and have a separate cable coming in to the STB.
On my 28e, I've set up a twin lnb. I want to use the second lnb signal for a separate STB.
I want to use the existing infrastructure of the cabling in the house.

Three rooms in my house have multi wall sockets with Radio, TV, and Satellite.

In the garage, I have one of these switches http://www.tonna.com/docbrowse.php?c=365030
From what I can gather, there is one input and three outputs.
Having said that, when disconnecting certain outputs, I still seem to get signals when I don't think I should. It seems that the intuitive logic of this switch is not intuitive ! From having a play, I get the impression that the three outputs are actually three inputs, and the one input is actually an output, that is then split across the wall sockets in the house.

Initially I had the idea that I would just disconnect the output cables going to one of the rooms, and connect the lnb directly to it. However, this didn't work. So I suspect there may be interference between some interconnection between the other wall sockets.

I then disconnected what appeared to be the source, and replaced it with that of my LNB. Still no luck.

Ideally, I just want to bypass the switch, and connect directly to the cables going to one of the rooms. But this doesn't seem to work !

Any ideas?

A

archive10

In the garage, I have one of these switches http://www.tonna.com/docbrowse.php?c=365030
That is not a switch, my friend. That is a splitter. Input is duplicated on all outputs, all the time.
Your house is cabled for antenna (or cable TV). Those types of signals can be split (i.e. replicate across the outputs of the splitter).
Sat signals can't. Simplistically stated, you need a dedicated cable from each Sat receiver to each LNB output.
So, you can in principle run one output from LNB through cabling all the way to second STB.
But you can only connect one receiver to the LNB output at the time.
And if you want to use the exisiting cabling also for antenna signals, you need a combiner to join the sat-range signals (> 1GHz) with antenna-range stuff. (< 1Ghz)

Can you be a little more specific about what your use-case is?

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
That is not a switch, my friend. That is a splitter. Input is duplicated on all outputs, all the time.
Your house is cabled for antenna (or cable TV). Those types of signals can be split (i.e. replicate across the outputs of the splitter).
Sat signals can't. Simplistically stated, you need a dedicated cable from each Sat receiver to each LNB output.
So, you can in principle run one output from LNB through cabling all the way to second STB.
But you can only connect one receiver to the LNB output at the time.
And if you want to use the exisiting cabling also for antenna signals, you need a combiner to join the sat-range signals (> 1GHz) with antenna-range stuff. (< 1Ghz)

Can you be a little more specific about what your use-case is?
Not strictly true - the house may well have been cabled for satellite a few years ago. Some years back one of the French digital satellite platforms (I can't remember which) broadcast all their channels from one satellite in one frequency band and on one polarisation hence there would be no conflict of controlling signals to the lnb from multiple receivers. In those days it was a fairly common practice to fit a single output lnb with one downlead and run splitters from it to required rooms. This may well be a legacy system of cabling and hardware from those days. A single receiver would probably still work on such a system to a single lnb.

bobbywise

Reaction score
Website
www.robertwisbey.net
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat HDR, Fracarro Penta Digit 68cm Dish at 28e, unbranded 60cm dish at 9e/13e/19e, EMP Centauri S8/1PCP-W2 switch emulating diseqc motor
My Location
Nantes, France
Thanks everyone.
The house is 11 years old. I'm not sure what they done in the development, but the limited frequencies I do get from 13e and 19e dishes on the apartments don't match the frequencies on king of sat. They can be received in each room. It's why I never used the dishes in the development -- they were focused around CanalSat, and so not many other non-CanalSat channels like German Eurosport

The bogus thing is I though I could just disconnect one of the cables from the splitter, and correct it directly to the cable from the lnb. This would be like just extending the cable using the existing infrastructure. But it doesn't see the signal. I even totally disconnected the splitter from all cables-- no luck. I'll probably end up just using my sling box in the other room with the client on the Western Digital media player.

The extra cable I may pass over to my neighbour so he can have English TV. He expressed interest in this a while back :-)

A

archive10

The bogus thing is I though I could just disconnect one of the cables from the splitter, and correct it directly to the cable from the lnb. This would be like just extending the cable using the existing infrastructure. But it doesn't see the signal. I even totally disconnected the splitter from all cables-- no luck. I'll probably end up just using my sling box in the other room with the client on the Western Digital media player.

The extra cable I may pass over to my neighbour so he can have English TV. He expressed interest in this a while back :)
can you show a pic of your wall plate? you should be able to connect lnb directly, but if dave is right, therre may be a dc block somewhere to allow multple stb to connect up on single lnb.