Listen Up Virgin Media start to phase out TiVo software.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
Virgin Media have now started the process of switching away from TiVo software to Horizon software. I suspect that their right to use TiVo will expire either in either October 2021 or October after in 2022. They last signed an agreement in October 2017. Whilst it could have been a 4 year contract, I suspect it will have been for 5 as it would be difficult to complete this in less than a year.

All new customers now receive the Horizon software on a V360 box and some exsting customers have changed over (by invitation only).

In my opinion the new software has many more disadvantages than advantages and this, along with the seriously deteriorating customer service from Virgin Media, means that after over 20 years I will be moving back to satellite with Sky Q!

The downsides:

- There are less apps than the V6, including no All4 or My5.

- You cannot record radio or select radio with a channel number.

- Upon changing the box or software on your existing box, you lose all your recordings.

- You lose all your series links. Any new Series Links created have to be done on each and every channel that you think the programme will be broadcast on; you cannot set it to check every channel as you can currently.

- There is no Wishlist function.

- Those with more than one V6 box can keep them, but new customers are limited to one box with a HDD and, therefore, 1TB of recording capacity.

- If you delete a programme because you've changed your mind or have watched it, it will record it again!

- You cannot recover deleted programmes.

-The TV channel will no longer store 90 minutes in the background while you watch a recorded program (although if you pause a live channel it will store up to 3 hours, but this 3 hours will be lost as soon as you watch a recorded program).

-The TV channel list only shows icons of channels, you can no longer change this to text, making channels hard to identify.

- The search function is no longer universal.

- You will no longer be able to use the QuickView facility.

- It's supposed to be free, but some are reporting that they have been charged a one off fee of £15.50

The upsides:

- A free box for multi room as standard (but this usually won't have a HDD) and requires a coax connection.

- Profiles could be useful for multi occupancy homes.

- Voice control could be useful for some disabled or visually impaired customers.

The Virgin Media customer forum has people asking to go back to the V6, but Virgin Media are either ignoring their attempts to contact them or promising call backs that never materialise. This isn't unique to these customers, it's now the norm for Letters and emails to be ignored, live chat is now a useless bot and people report holding on the phone for up to an hour and a half before being cut off or staff putting the phone down on them!

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
To add to the growing list of downsides:

- The V360 doesn't allow an 'always on' eco function, meaning that it will switch itself off after a certain time whether you like it or not.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
To add to the growing list of downsides:

- The V360 doesn't allow an 'always on' eco function, meaning that it will switch itself off after a certain time whether you like it or not.
My Tivo does that already,
Also I have to turn off & On the power when trying to watch Prime to get the sound back :eek:

I do not need this box just a phone line & Internet,
But VM said that will cost me more without the Tivo box :confused

So I will be looking for just a phone line with the internet in the new year.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes, you lose the triple play discount. Usually (but not always) it's also cheaper to take a landline with BB. You might be able to benefit from the free weekend calls to landlines & virgin mobile numbers. The trouble with the latter is that, with number porting, it's difficult to tell which are Virgin Mobile numbers!

You can currently change the V6 to disable the eco setting:

If you want to change when your Virgin TV V6 box goes into standby, you can do so. To change your default setting:

1. Press Home on your remote
  2. Select Help & Settings
  3. Select Settings
  4. Select Devices
  5. Select Power Saving Settings
The power saving settings you can choose are:

• Always On - Your Virgin TV V6 box won't power down, no matter how long you haven't used it. If you want to turn it off, press the On/Standby button on your remote
  • Connected Low Power - Your Virgin TV V6 box will power down if you don't use it for 4 hours - you'll still be able to watch your recordings in another room, use the Virgin TV app as normal, and Suggestions will still record
  • Eco Low Power – Your Virgin TV V6 box will completely power down if you don't use it for 4 hours - if you still want to watch your recordings in another room, use the Virgin TV app as normal, and Suggestions to record when your box is powered down, you can select Connected Low Power mode instead