Wanted Wanted 90-100 prime focus dish

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You have not used a Mk2 IRTE polarmount then.

I had an IRTE polar mount on an IRTE ground stand, not sure if it was the Mk2 or not.
I was not impressed with it, cheap oilite type bush bearings and the actuator arm locating points provided poor resolution.

If you have a picture of the IRTE Mk2 polar mount and can upload it to the forum I will check if it was the same as the one I had?

That ITRE polar mount I had was vastly inferior to a Precision polar mount.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Cheap oilite bearings were favoured by Channel Master, always tap. tap.tap until there was no ability to tighten futher.

Will send pictures of an IRTE dish in the depths of Surrey, installed some 30 years ago and doing sterling service once access is approved.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cheap oilite bearings were favoured by Channel Master, always tap. tap.tap until there was no ability to tighten futher.

Will send pictures of an IRTE dish in the depths of Surrey, installed some 30 years ago and doing sterling service once access is approved.

I have attached two pictures below of an IRTE bearing and an IRTE polar mount, I am not sure if the mount is the Mk 2
There is no lubrication on the bearing.

.DSC_0022.JPGIRTE_PM_01.jpg

Attached below are a few pictures of a Precision polar mount and bearing.
The Precision bearings have grease nipples for lubrication and are superior to the IRTE bearings
That IRTE polar mount version I had was like a meccano model in comparison to the Precision.

Polar_Mount_01.jpgPolar_Mount_02.jpgPolar_Mount_03.jpgPrecision Polar Mount (Bottom Bearing).jpg

Last edited:

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I can understand why the OP has a preference for a Precision mount.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have attached two pictures below of an IRTE bearing and an IRTE polar mount, I am not sure if the mount is the Mk 2
There is no lubrication on the bearing.

.View attachment 134238View attachment 134239

Attached below are a few pictures of a Precision polar mount and bearing.
The Precision bearings have grease nipples for lubrication and are superior to the IRTE bearings
That IRTE polar mount version I had was like a meccano model in comparison to the Precision.

View attachment 134240View attachment 134241View attachment 134242View attachment 134243

Like for like Moonbase. When was that polarmount ever supplied as standard fitment on the 90/1.2/1.5m Precisions ?

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Like for like Moonbase. When was that polarmount ever supplied as standard fitment on the 90/1.2/1.5m Precisions ?

If you want to compare an IRTE polar mount to a triangular frame Precision polar mount I have attached a few pictures below of the triangular frame version that was shipped with their 1.5m dishes.
When I purchased my Precision 1.5m dish directly from Precision Antennas it was the triangular frame version that was shipped with it as standard.

The bearings shipped with the triangular frame model were the same M16 bore ASAHI bearings that were shipped with the Precision square frame model.

Precision Triangular Frame Polar Mount (1.5m dish)
Polar Mount On Stand (03).jpgPolar Mount On Stand (04).jpgPolar Mount On Stand (02).jpg

IRTE Polar Mount (1.5m dish)
IRTE_PM_01.jpg

In my opinion, there is no contest, the Precision triangular frame polar mount that was shipped with their 1.5m dish is much superior to the IRTE mount.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You appear to have been sold a pup then, the IRTE polarmount design you have imaged come with a six point circular steel plate of around 60cms diamter that in turn bolts to the reflector.

Even the dish earlier version used a double cradle that supported the reflector around the edge, the Mk1 had poor bearings (discontinued after just one production run for NEC/Ferguson), the Mk2 had no such issues.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
You appear to have been sold a pup then, the IRTE polarmount design you have imaged come with a six point circular steel plate of around 60cms diamter that in turn bolts to the reflector.

Even the dish earlier version used a double cradle that supported the reflector around the edge, the Mk1 had poor bearings (discontinued after just one production run for NEC/Ferguson), the Mk2 had no such issues.

I aint been sold a pup. I did not get an IRTE dish with the polar mount and ground stand so had no need for the circular plate.

The six point circular plate was the interface between the IRTE polar mount and the dish.
It adds nothing to the moderate build quality of the actual IRTE polar mount and certainly does not elevate the IRTE polar mount to get anywhere near to the superior build quality of the Precision triangular frame polar mount.

Both the Precision triangular frame mount and the IRTE mount pictured in replies above were supplied by the respective vendors for 1.5m dishes.

Seing as you were so kind to include in your reply that I appeared to have been sold a pup, my feedback is that you appear to be flogging a dead horse.
In my personal opinion you have little chance of convincing people that an IRTE polar mount is better than either of the Precision polar mounts I have provided details for in this topic.

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I aint been sold a pup. I did not get an IRTE dish with the polar mount and ground stand so had no need for the circular plate.

The six point circular plate was the interface between the IRTE polar mount and the dish.
It adds nothing to the moderate build quality of the actual IRTE polar mount and certainly does not elevate the IRTE polar mount to get anywhere near to the superior build quality of the Precision triangular frame polar mount.

Both the Precision triangular frame mount and the IRTE mount pictured in replies above were supplied by the respective vendors for 1.5m dishes.

Seing as you were so kind to include in your reply that I appeared to have been sold a pup, my feedback is that you appear to be flogging a dead horse.
In my personal opinion you have little chance of convincing people that an IRTE polar mount is better than either of the Precision polar mounts I have provided details for in this topic.
QED

The thread commenced with a request for a small prime focus dish of 90-1m, sidelined with the 1.2 Precision curveball.
It came with a 2" fitment zinc galvanised polarmount (and later anodised - though these might have been aftermarkets) . Both had the exposed oilite style bearing which was a replaceable part, suffereing from premature wear owing to exposure to the elements along with size/finish of the matching pin on the mating assembly.

Whilst I don't have pricing nor a catalogue to hand, the approximate shipping weight of the 90 and 1.2 Precision dishes offer a clue, EPR09KuP - 15kgs / EPR12KuP - 25kgs.

IRTE supplied the pictured polarmount with all their dish designs up to 1.8m (including 1.5 with extender panels) , though an optional small pole design became available much later, recommended solely for the 90cm in sheltered locations.

I am willing to stand corrected if paperwork exists confirming the 90 and 1.2m Precision reflectors came standard with the mount you have for sale, otherwise the 'horses for courses' pigeonhole should now be the correct nomenclature.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I am willing to stand corrected if paperwork exists confirming the 90 and 1.2m Precision reflectors came standard with the mount you have for sale, otherwise the 'horses for courses' pigeonhole should now be the correct nomenclature.

Have you forgotten the 1.5m dish size that you included as one of the sizes eligible for comparison in post 45 of this topic?

As I stated earlier, I was supplied the Precision triangular frame polar mount as standard with a Precision 1.5m dish I purchased direct from Precision.
If you wish me to upload the original invoice from my purchase I will happily do so.

No matter which way you try to spin it there is no way the IRTE meccano mount comes remotely close to the build quality of a Precision triangular frame polar mount.
Both the IRTE meccano mount and the Precision triangular frame polar mount were supplied by the respective manufactures with 1.5m dishes, it is a valid comparison for a dish size introduced to the discussion by yourself.

In addition, as stated by yourself, IRTE supplied the same meccano polar mount with their 1.8m dishes.
The triangular frame polar mount was supplied by Precision with their 1.8m dishes so on the basis of a like for like comparison the IRTE meccano mount loses out yet again.

To return the topic to it's original subject I have dug out from down the side of the shed a Precision 1.2m dish, it looks to be in good shape.
I will clean it up and offer it for sale on the forum

Last edited:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It was Pipedream that initially mentioned a 1.5 Precision as part of his inventory, I have no idea what mounting system he is selling alongside it.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

If you check post 45 of this topic it was you that referred to the 1.5m dish size as one to be covered by a like for like comparison

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It would have been impolite to dismiss Pipedream's post as irrelevent because of detail on a single reflector diameter that falls outside the o/p's requirement.

My question was - When was that polarmount ever supplied as standard fitment on the 90/1.2/1.5m Precisions ?

A simple yes, or no would have sufficed as an inclusive, or perhaps 'only the largest reflector' , backed up either with shipping weight (mine is an approximate) or copy of a Precision order/delivery docket of the time. Neither has materialised.

I will photograph what I know I have here that might be of interest for Chris James, though it will be the 2" pole and oilite bearing polarmount system , standard Precision inventory for the product asked for since the smallest reflector was not factory fitted with a backing ring for use with the triangular mount.

Unless somebody knows different of course.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A simple yes, or no would have sufficed as an inclusive, or perhaps 'only the largest reflector' , backed up either with shipping weight (mine is an approximate) or copy of a Precision order/delivery docket of the time. Neither has materialised....

Well, I just happen to have a copy of the original invoice for my purchase of the Precision 1.5m dish and the triangular frame polar mount.
If you examine the picture of the invoice attached below you will see the polar mount listed with part number 96633.

Also, I just happen to have that same polar mount still in perfect condition with the part number of 96633 present on the pole cap section of the mount.
As you may know, Precision used to mark their galvanised equipment with the relevant part number.

So, there we have it, original documentary evidence that the triangular frame polar mount was shipped with their 1.5m dish.
A proven valid comparison for the 1.5m dish size that you put forward.

In terms of your previous reference to "horses for courses", it looks like the IRTE meccano mount has been left at the start and did not compete in the event.

Precision Invoice.jpg

Precision PM 96633.jpg

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
@Chris James

I have attached a picture below of the Precision 1.2m dish I had stored down the side of the shed.
The dish has had a quick clean up but it could probably do with the rear mounting ring repainting and renewing of the silicon sealant that covers the join between the ring and the dish.

I will do a bit of work on the dish in the next week or so and upload a few photos of the finished job.
In terms of parabolic shape, it is in good condition, there is a very small ding close to the centre but in reality it will have a negligible impact on dish performance.

If you are interested in the dish after I have completed a few cosmetic jobs on it I will upload some signal level figures from one or two satellites to show what it can achieve.
No worries if the 1.2m size is to large for you and you prefer something smaller. I will find a use for the dish and it deserves the chance of a refurb and being put back into service.

Precision 1.2m Dish
Precision 1.2m.jpg

Last edited:

Chris James

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Southampton
@Chris James

I have attached a picture below of the Precision 1.2m dish I had stored down the side of the shed.
The dish has had a quick clean up but it could probably do with the rear mounting ring repainting and renewing of the silicon sealant that covers the join between the ring and the dish.

I will do a bit of work on the dish in the next week or so and upload a few photos of the finished job.
In terms of parabolic shape, it is in good condition, there is a very small ding close to the centre but in reality it will have a negligible impact on dish performance.

If you are interested in the dish after I have completed a few cosmetic jobs on it I will upload some signal level figures from one or two satellites to show what it can achieve.
No worries if the 1.2m size is to large for you and you prefer something smaller. I will find a use for the dish and it deserves the chance of a refurb and being put back into service.

Precision 1.2m Dish
View attachment 134262
Hi that’s great yes I’d like this dish and mount
I wouldn’t worry about refurb I’d be happy to do it anyway
Only thing I need to know is does it have a feed and lnb not looking for anything special just something to get me started
Plus you’ll have to let me know what you want for it please

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi that’s great yes I’d like this dish and mount
I wouldn’t worry about refurb I’d be happy to do it anyway
Only thing I need to know is does it have a feed and lnb not looking for anything special just something to get me started
Plus you’ll have to let me know what you want for it please

Chris,

I have the original Precision Ku-Band feed somewhere and the original feed support arms for the dish.
The feed suppport arms are in the shed pictured above with the dish and I think the Ku-Band feed is in the loft but I will need to locate it.

The only issue that I can see is the price, I have the polar mount advertised on the forum for £350 without a ground stand or dish.
A link to the polar mount "For Sale" topic is pasted below.

If you add on the dish with feed supports arms, Ku-Band feed and an Invacom C120 flange LNB I think I would be looking at a price around £450.
Even then, you are still without a ground stand or wall mount.
My asking price for the Precision setup is high due to the polar mount, they are scarce nowadays and the one I have for sale is in very good condition.

To be honest, the asking price I would be hoping to achieve is quite a bit higher than you could pay for a brand new alternative starter system to get you going.
Some of the members on the forum are doing very well with smaller offset focus dishes on DiSEqC mounts that would cost a lot less new than the Precision setup I could supply.

My recommendation would be to consider an offset focus dish, it opens up a huge range of decent dishes and mounts at greatly reduced prices.
Second hand channel master 1.2m dishes are popping up quite regularly on eBay, Facebook and Gumtree, sometimes with a polar mount and they are a good dish.

What I propose we do is that I complete a few small refurb jobs on the dish, set it up and measure some signal levels from a few satellites.
If in the meanwhile you source a setup elsewhere all well and good and you will probably have made a decent cost saving compared to the Precision setup.

I will not sell the equipment to anyone else, you can have first refusal on it.

Chris James

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None
My Location
Southampton
So I don’t think I’m going to get a prime focus dish but I remember someone saying they had a channel master dish for sale or if anyone has one on a polar mount with jack I’d be interested

Pipedream

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.9-1.2 & 2.2 precision dishes TM5402 mk3 TM5302 & V8 Golden
My Location
Sheffield
What you are after be it Precision or Channel master I have, but I will not put them in the post. If you can collect
I will be willing to sell.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So I don’t think I’m going to get a prime focus dish.....
Has the one you secured earlier gone missing or is now a banana ?

In any case whatever courier compensation was within the shipping cost will pay for a very nice dish in a size you were asking for in the first place, just wait a few weeks