Top Tip What a clever way of getting maximum pricing for old tat.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Don't even spell the manufacturer's name correctly.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
CRT monitors for vintage computers are becoming pretty rare, so of course the price is just going to go up, I'd love to have a proper RGB monitor to go with my Amiga 600, but I've been priced out of the market by these sorts of listings...

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Forgive me for being slightly naive in this, but (apart from the 16:9 ratio screen) a modern TV still has in the main a VGA input, so there is a set of RGB pins available for connection to your Amiga, as long as you can make up a lead.

I'm sure I have a couple of DB23 to VGA adapters in a box, so the serial lead should be all that is required for a flatscreen monitor, or modern flatscreen TV.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
It's about having the proper experience, that and Amiga to VGA is more convoluted than just adaptors due to them using a different clock frequency that modern VGA inputs cannot handle, plus computers designed to work with CRTs look "wrong" on modern LCD monitors & TVs, that's why people want the original monitors... :)

There is also the RGB to SCART cables for the Amiga, but again, on a modern LCD screen it still isn't quite "right"...

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
CRT monitors for vintage computers are becoming pretty rare, so of course the price is just going to go up, I'd love to have a proper RGB monitor to go with my Amiga 600, but I've been priced out of the market by these sorts of listings...
I have a 19" monitor by Aydin Controls that I won in a contest in PC Magazine in the early 90s. I believe that at the time it was about a grand to buy.

It was put into its storage box when I was made redundant in 1995 and had been serviced by the distributor shortly before that. It's monstrously heavy and I could just about lift it by myself twenty years ago. Not sure about it now!

I keep thinking that I must put it up for sale one day.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

It's about having the proper experience, that and Amiga to VGA is more convoluted than just adaptors due to them using a different clock frequency that modern VGA inputs cannot handle, plus computers designed to work with CRTs look "wrong" on modern LCD monitors & TVs, that's why people want the original monitors... :)

There is also the RGB to SCART cables for the Amiga, but again, on a modern LCD screen it still isn't quite "right"...

I would not have considered connecting via SCART as a ‘get around’.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I would not have considered connecting via SCART as a ‘get around’.

Well SCART has RGB inputs which can accept the Amiga's oddball output, though it has the disadvantage of being limited to PAL or NTSC resolutions, unlike the RGB monitors made for them (and other contemporary computers), the only drawback is finding the DB23F connectors as they're NLA, though some use cut-down DB25F connectors to do the job of making up cables...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
With a bit of luck it might even work!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
With a bit of luck it might even work!

Even if it was dead, that wouldn't stop some brave souls from buying it & opening the back for poking around the tingly voltages to make it work... :lol:

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, CRT TVs are expensive these days. I'd love to get my hands on a small Sony CRT for my analogue corner but they start at £80 and up. Larger ones don't have the same appeal.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I wouldn't mind a Sony Trinitron TV to go with my Amiga if I couldn't get an RGB monitor for it, as mentioned using SCART wired for RGB, it'd be a lot more appealing visually speaking than with an LCD... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well it ain't an RGB monitor for my Amiga 600, but it is a reasonably nice 17" CRT SVGA monitor for my Olivetti PC, and all for a whopping £5 from a local 2nd hand furniture shop... :lol:

CRTOlivetti.jpg

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It will be interesting to see how much this goes for

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No bids, an opening price of 99p AND open to offers. I'll give 50p and I want it delivered for that price!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No bids, an opening price of 99p AND open to offers. I'll give 50p and I want it delivered for that price!

Ask for a pound of flesh to go with it, the EU can't touch you for imperial measures post Brexit

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
You will enjoy it down in Pembroke and whilst you are collecting it there are some good walks down in Pembrokeshire.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
That Sony's a nice looking monitor, but, too far away for collection, was arm-stretching enough walking home with my £5 "Proview" monitor, and that was pretty much just round the corner!!! :lol:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Oh my, that Trinitron monitor sold for 99p, I feel sorry for the seller, they must have been aching to see the silly prices on their listing!!! :-rofl2