WhatsApp battery hungry ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Under duress I have had to start using WhatsApp in the past few days. The mobile would normally retain its charge for almost three days but with this app running I’m finding the battery depletes fully within 20 hours or so ( usually during the night) which sort of defeats the object of being constantly aware of the work schedule using the instant messaging.

Is there a way of switching off certain parts of the app to prolong the phones life or just something else to lump ?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well a lot depends on version of Android, ( I use 7) however, there is the potential to reduce contacts syncs completely unless you are expecting lots of friends signing up. You go to accounts choose whatsapp select then switch off constacts sync, I am surprised though that there is such a drop off in battery life with whatsapp.
edit
You can check that if you go to settings apps whatsapp and scroll down to battery usage

Last edited:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
something sounds a miss here, I run the basic WhatsApp and I dont find any where near that kind of increased battery drain. What phone you using?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
something sounds a miss here, I run the basic WhatsApp and I dont find any where near that kind of increased battery drain. What phone you using?

index.jpg

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Galaxy A3

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Last edited:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
That dosent sound right, unless you have auto update on for Google Play apps as WhatsApp has a built in expire date so you need to update to the newer build every bloody week.

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Greenify/custom kernel if your phone is rooted (which it should be) to put those naughty apps to sleep

Are you on Oreo? because it is power hungry battery drain is an issue

Galaxy A3 has a forum on XDA: https://forum.xda-developers.com/samsung-a-series

Delete the link if not allowed

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
That link comes up with an adblocker warning, doesn't load at all.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I'm curently exploring the possibility that where I have been for the past two days is not in the best area for signal and the drain might be the A3 increasing power to compensate.

I've also read that each time a message comes in, the display might wake up, drawing more current, but the phone is in a sleeve that makes checking difficult after the event.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
That link comes up with an adblocker warning, doesn't load at all.
Works ok for me even with adverts and an ad blocker, it was slow loading though

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
I'm curently exploring the possibility that where I have been for the past two days is not in the best area for signal and the drain might be the A3 increasing power to compensate.

I've also read that each time a message comes in, the display might wake up, drawing more current, but the phone is in a sleeve that makes checking difficult after the event.

All phones will increase their broadcast power when signal is weak/unobtainable so that may well be a part of it definitely.