Where can I get big dishes from?

satyorkieboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I'm looking to set it up. I want to know the cost of a 3.8m dish
My Location
Leeds
Hi there, I'm a newbie here. I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm looking for a website/websites that sell big dishes.

Ideally I want a 3.8m or 2.4m.

I don't want something too cheap either so a good quality dish please as I need to put together a series of quote, and you would actually help if you make more expensive!!

I'm based in Leeds and the 3.8m was recommended for the showtime package.

Thanks

satyorkieboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leeds
Hi there, I'm a newbie here. I was wondering if anyone can help?

I'm looking for a website/websites that sell big dishes.

Ideally I want a 3.8m or 2.4m.

I don't want something too cheap either so a good quality dish please as I need to put together a series of quote, and you would actually help if you make more expensive!!

I'm based in Leeds and the 3.8m was recommended for the showtime package.

Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum satyorkieboy

Well there is nothing wrong with having an ambition, but the reality is that there are laws in England governing the size of dishes allowed. 1.0 mtr is the maximum you can have in the UK without planning permission so I think you should first look at that aspect before spending lots of money, and believe me you will need lots as well for such big dishes in this country. I personally would be contacting V M to see if they want to sell off their redundant head end dishes, of which there are loads lying around doing nothing.

There are links on the forum but you need to be aware there are good dishes and bad ones.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum satyorkieboy

Well there is nothing wrong with having an ambition, but the reality is that there are laws in England governing the size of dishes allowed. 1.0 mtr is the maximum you can have in the UK without planning permission so I think you should first look at that aspect before spending lots of money, and believe me you will need lots as well for such big dishes in this country. I personally would be contacting V M to see if they want to sell off their redundant head end dishes, of which there are loads lying around doing nothing.

There are links on the forum but you need to be aware there are good dishes and bad ones.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
From relatively cheap ones, there's bulgarian manufacturer, forgot it's name, but you can easilly find it via google. I remember their 2.4meter dish was around 700 euros... I have seen several of their dishes in action, working quite fine.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
From relatively cheap ones, there's bulgarian manufacturer, forgot it's name, but you can easilly find it via google. I remember their 2.4meter dish was around 700 euros... I have seen several of their dishes in action, working quite fine.

satyorkieboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leeds
No you all misunderstand me. I don't actually want to buy a dish this big. I just want a quote for one.

Bizarre I know, but a ball point figure would be really helpful and don't try and save money - I want an expensive quote!

I realise about planning permission and again, if anyone could advise on the chances of anything over 2.4m being refused that would be most helpful, I want obstacles here guys.

Thanks

satyorkieboy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leeds
No you all misunderstand me. I don't actually want to buy a dish this big. I just want a quote for one.

Bizarre I know, but a ball point figure would be really helpful and don't try and save money - I want an expensive quote!

I realise about planning permission and again, if anyone could advise on the chances of anything over 2.4m being refused that would be most helpful, I want obstacles here guys.

Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
satyorkieboy said:

Thanks

You have already had one in the post before yours and a recommendation, at the end of the day this is a hobbyists forum so you are unlikely to get many more responses. People are unlikely to have information on what they have never considered buying

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
satyorkieboy said:

Thanks

You have already had one in the post before yours and a recommendation, at the end of the day this is a hobbyists forum so you are unlikely to get many more responses. People are unlikely to have information on what they have never considered buying

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish, Pace MSS500 (analog) 19e
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
Jaeger 1224 mid restored. Fibo 1.2m.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Have you approached companies such as ASC Signal or GDSatcom (Vertex, Prodelin)? They'll get a local agent to contact you.

As said before regarding the UK regulations, you are limited to a 1m dish without the need for planning permission. If you want a bigger dish in your planning permission to the council you will have to submit a technical justification. You have to justify and have some very good reason why you need to receive foreign satellites and why you don't want a UK Sky package which you would be abe to receive with a 60cm dish. And if the broadcast you are after is only intended for foreign reception, your luck is down for a start.
You will have to state whther or not this is for commercial purposes and if you have the relevant permission to do so.
You will of course provide evidence that this is not going to be a public eyesore, and the you have spoken to your neighbours and they are happy to see this out of their bedroom window.

You will have to provide evidence of where you plan to site this dish and you have the land owners permission, and that you will install the foundations to the manufacturers specification, and that the dish is not going blow away in the wind.

You will also have to prove that the dish will not be transmitting and therefore expose the public to non-ionizing radiation.

And you have to think a bit more about what dish you want. If you don't want a tracking antenna, you could go for a two-part bolt-together VSAT dish which could probably be put up with without cranes etc - but don't quote me on that.

If you want a tracking antenna then you re looking at a petallised metal dish. This type of dish will need a crane or telehandler to lift it in place, and then that means you need contractors and then your contractor will have to comply with other H&S regulations such a providing a method statement and public liability insurance, risk to the public, building site regs... etc.

I'm not sure of your intentions but if you are not serious about an installation, not many professional insallers are going to waste their time just for a quote.

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Channel Master fixed 26e, 1m dish, SG-100 motor, Inverto Black Ultra. Pace MSP 200, Humax F1 VACI
My Location
Midlands, UK
Have you approached companies such as ASC Signal or GDSatcom (Vertex, Prodelin)? They'll get a local agent to contact you.

As said before regarding the UK regulations, you are limited to a 1m dish without the need for planning permission. If you want a bigger dish in your planning permission to the council you will have to submit a technical justification. You have to justify and have some very good reason why you need to receive foreign satellites and why you don't want a UK Sky package which you would be abe to receive with a 60cm dish. And if the broadcast you are after is only intended for foreign reception, your luck is down for a start.
You will have to state whther or not this is for commercial purposes and if you have the relevant permission to do so.
You will of course provide evidence that this is not going to be a public eyesore, and the you have spoken to your neighbours and they are happy to see this out of their bedroom window.

You will have to provide evidence of where you plan to site this dish and you have the land owners permission, and that you will install the foundations to the manufacturers specification, and that the dish is not going blow away in the wind.

You will also have to prove that the dish will not be transmitting and therefore expose the public to non-ionizing radiation.

And you have to think a bit more about what dish you want. If you don't want a tracking antenna, you could go for a two-part bolt-together VSAT dish which could probably be put up with without cranes etc - but don't quote me on that.

If you want a tracking antenna then you re looking at a petallised metal dish. This type of dish will need a crane or telehandler to lift it in place, and then that means you need contractors and then your contractor will have to comply with other H&S regulations such a providing a method statement and public liability insurance, risk to the public, building site regs... etc.

I'm not sure of your intentions but if you are not serious about an installation, not many professional insallers are going to waste their time just for a quote.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Republic of Georgia
"why you don't want a UK Sky package " - It's really interesting, such questions can be asked in Democratic country? I mean, you have some censorship on foreign programing or any other limits in choosing what you want to watch?

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Republic of Georgia
"why you don't want a UK Sky package " - It's really interesting, such questions can be asked in Democratic country? I mean, you have some censorship on foreign programing or any other limits in choosing what you want to watch?

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK

Don't take this out of context. You're submitting planning permission to a local council in the UK, and you will have to satisfy the planning permission officer that what you need is a 3.8m dish to receive... Arab movie channels that are being broadcast to the Middle East for example.
Now if you can receive the same typical movies from Astra 28.2 on a 60cm dish which is going to look less unsightly etc, your going to have to justify why that is not sufficient for your requirement.

All this will go before a planning committee consisting of local people, and it will depend on what their opinions are. This is not a usual request for them; like a barn extension.

I've been through all this before, I got an agent to write up the planning consent form and plans etc, and wording it such a way to get it 'smelling of roses' and such other BS, does help your succesfull planning consent.

futumsch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands, UK

Don't take this out of context. You're submitting planning permission to a local council in the UK, and you will have to satisfy the planning permission officer that what you need is a 3.8m dish to receive... Arab movie channels that are being broadcast to the Middle East for example.
Now if you can receive the same typical movies from Astra 28.2 on a 60cm dish which is going to look less unsightly etc, your going to have to justify why that is not sufficient for your requirement.

All this will go before a planning committee consisting of local people, and it will depend on what their opinions are. This is not a usual request for them; like a barn extension.

I've been through all this before, I got an agent to write up the planning consent form and plans etc, and wording it such a way to get it 'smelling of roses' and such other BS, does help your succesfull planning consent.

BoSSpak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orbitron MicroMesh 3.6m dish with chaparral polarotor,SMW X-LINE TYPE E LNB.Nokia Dbox1, DM500s.Drake ESR 2000XT + Echostar LT8700
My Location
East of England
late reply..

but the case of planning application does not always apply. It depends on each local council. I have a 3.6m satellite dish and i live in a urban area. I have never applied for any planning permission nor have i had the council knocking on my door in the last 13 odd years. My satellite dish is very visible from the street ;)

IMHO If you got a$$hole neighbours then you have a problem!!! otherwise the council don't give a toss.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If it is of any help, the last 3.7m I sold in the UK went for about 3k including transport from the US, customs clearance and delivery. This was a fixed az/el mount version complete with king post and dual Ku-band feedhorn.

You will of course find bargains around, but probably have to arrange dismantling and transport costs.

For example

eBay 250558473518

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
BombedOne said:

and who told you UK is a democratic country???yes it use to be but not anymore !!! since the cameras are everywhere even inside our toilets,UK became a real open air prison,,but those questions are mainly to see if you want to get some copy righted stuff not legaly allowed in UK like sports events

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Did they have the Triax TDA110 in mind when they wrote the new regulations in the UK because i have never seen so many Triaxes as in the Uk when i was over recently.

My suggestion would be to see if any hotel still have any large dish left on their roofs, here we still have some 3 and 4 meter dishes on the hotels and they are too lazy to remove them and often you can get them free if you take it down, no one uses these dishes anymore as the signals are so strong in Ku-band these days for the stuff you want to watch.

Be prepared a good quality 3 meter SMC dish weights about 150-200kgs, and going above that the weight increase fast.