Advice Needed Which receiver should I buy?

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
98cm motorised technomate. 50e to 34.5w
My Location
Europe
I’m currently using a cheap Edision that I originally bought because it had a DVB-C tuner as well. When I was living in the Netherlands I wanted to have UK and Dutch channels on one receiver, but unfortunately the receiver constantly stuttered on the cable channels and the CI module was painstakingly slow to decrypt the channels. You get what you pay for!

Since I no longer need a DVB-C turner, this box has lost its necessity (and even then it barely worked), I’m wanting to upgrade, but I’m finding it hard to find good/comprehensive reviews of the stuff at the higher end of the market.

I was hoping to get some advice. Maybe people could recommend receivers on the basis of the things I liked and disliked about my current one? I’m guessing some of the features I set out are going to be available at software rather than hardware level? I think that’s why I’m finding it a bit hard to narrow down on the basis of features. One thing I'm not clear on is if I use an image on a receiver that say, mimics Freesat channel numbers and interface, does that stop me from customising it further easily? I do value flexibility over user-friendliness to a certain extent.

Things I like:

Even though it’s a cheap box with no HDD, a USB stick gave a very good recording capability. I don’t record often, but I really appreciate being able to pause and rewind live TV. Even on a cheap box with USB recording, it is good at pausing/rewinding even high quality HD.

The Edision is quite easy to use. The interface is mostly intuitive and it doesn’t take too long to reorder channels. That said, I’d appreciate being able to control things using a computer since at times I felt like I was going to get RSI trying to use the remote to order hundreds of channels!

Things I dislike:
The Edision is quite slow at changing channels. Not enough to be annoying, but if I could zap around faster that would be great. It handled changing Diseqc surprisingly well, it didn’t take much longer at all to change channels between sats than it did channels on the same transponder!

The Edision’s CAM slot didn’t seem to be that great. It’s likely I’ll subscribe to at least one package because we’re a multilingual family, so two CAM or card slots would be appreciated.

EPG is very slow to load on the Edision and only appears when selecting a transponder. I’d like to have a receiver that is able to pull EPG from an external resource if that’s possible.

Being a cheaper box the Edision didn’t really offer extra features. There are some channels I watch that steam (legally) online. If there is a box that easily incorporates streaming channels into a list rather than hiding it behind several menus, that is a major bonus.

I’d appreciate any advice you have. Thanks for reading!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
You'll probably need CI+ CAM slots, and an internal HDD or USB 3.0 for an external drive to avoid clunky fast forward & rewind. I don't do streaming so can't comment on that. I've seen receivers with an 'internet EPG' option but again can't comment on their effectiveness or how slick their operation is.

With regards to customisation etc it's going to be an Enigma receiver, which can have a steep learning curve. I doubt a a Freesat type skin would limit you to an exact Freesat imitation, else you may as well just have an actual Freesat receiver. Again I've never used an Enigma receiver so sorry I can't be much help :)

S

Sleepingwiththefish

One thing I'm not clear on is if I use an image on a receiver that say, mimics Freesat channel numbers and interface, does that stop me from customizing it further easily?
Can't say anything about this, never used any 'Freesat type skin' for E2 interface.

Any Enigma2 receiver can do all things you mention and much more - internal HDD (highly recommended), streaming, continuous background timeshift, multiple tuners and multiple recordings at same time, internet EPG, auto timers, CAMs and software emulators for subscribed cards, streaming channels from box to LAN(/internet) - and all that stuff you can normally do in the background using the power of Linux tools, even a box with a slow CPU can still do most of these things, but obviously will feel very slow.
I recommend latest Vu+ 4K models with OpenATV image, have setup many of these for other people for, never had a problem, they normally have very powerful hardware, but not cheap!

I'd say the biggest problem for you is probably getting used to E2 interface. Having some background Linux knowledge helps a lot for setting things up fast.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
I was looking at the Vu+ 4K. As you said, not cheap! But I can maybe treat myself.

It'll be something to play with at the very least.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
The Octagon SF8008 is a great receiver. I do not believe anything beats it for the money. I have never found anything special about VU+ but may but thinking the more you spend the better it is. With technology constantly improving you would be forever buying a new receiver. Settle for the best of the lower price range.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
It looks like the SF8008 doesn't come with CAM slots? Most of the reviews I'm seeing are related to the online features of the Octagon which I'm less interested in

S

Sleepingwiththefish

SF8008 4K is certainly good for that price, but some limitations

- External WIFI antenas look so stupid and I bet they do not perform any better than STBs with internal ones.
- Only one sat tuner will restrict things, depends on setup, multiple recordings only on same TP and sat
- external HDD is not ideal even if it has an USB 3 port, I have seen problems that USB 3 port can't deal with power consumption (they output less than 900mA) and HD misbehaves, external powered drive can resolve this, also setting up recording to another ( NFS/SMB ) host, but again, not ideal.
- no card reader

That said, it is much better than most non Linux boxes at same price range.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
It looks like the SF8008 doesn't come with CAM slots? Most of the reviews I'm seeing are related to the online features of the Octagon which I'm less interested in

You are about ten years out of date, very few manufacturers want to cover costs for the physical modifications, or licensing costs of fitting PCMCIA interfaces since the end user certainly doesn't.

astra19

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
That surprises me. I know they’re not common at all in the UK but CAMs quite standard in a lot of countries.