Advice Needed Which satellite did the cable companies use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
I'm pretty sure that it was back in the analogue days that I read that a certain sstellite was used to distribute the cable channels like Wire TV, L!ve TV etc. Can anyone remember which satellite it was, what happened to it and what encryption was used? Was this ever hacked?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
When I carried out work for United Artists , the only uplinking (in England) was via Intelsat 601

steeviebops

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
A basic 28.2 Freesat config, but have had a long history of satellite TV dating back to the analogue 19.2 days. Using a HP ZBook 15 G5 laptop (Core i7-8850H, 32GB RAM, Quadro video card)
My Location
Drogheda, Ireland
Before Astra, Intelsat 511 (later 601) at 27.5° west was the main spot for cable feeds. ECS 1 (Eutelsat) at 13° east was also used for the likes of Sky Channel and Super Channel.

Most channels were in the clear, in fact Lifestyle and Premiere used to transmit warnings at closedown to state that direct reception was illegal without buying a licence. Sky Channel used a sync suppression scrambling system (reportedly Oak Orion) in their early years but reports seem to suggest that it was gone by 1987.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Many thanks, Intelsat 601 rings a bell. Is this satellite still in use or has it now been retired?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I haven't looked at all.

For anyone interested, Wiki says it was retired in October 2011, seven years after it's expected lifespan.

Status
Not open for further replies.