I really do not get a point of your two latest posts

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Posts 2, 4 and 5 gave answers to your original question, now we are on the second page

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
no disrespect m8, but I still can not see from where do I have extra money in return for my investment, because I'm not getting even one single extra customer by restricting my signal coverage

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
no disrespect m8, but I still can not see from where do I have extra money in return for my investment, because I'm not getting even one single extra customer by restricting my signal coverage

Quite simply you don't, as that is not the object of the exercise. Also RTE is not a private company, so you cannot be an investor, it is owned by the Irish Government/taxpayer and does not have a remit to expand its market, simply to service the domestic audience and to avoid unnecessary expense, which it does by restricting its transmission footprint and avoiding the extra royalties.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
Quite simply you don't, as that is not the object of the exercise. Also RTE is not a private company, so you cannot be an investor, it is owned by the Irish Government/taxpayer and does not have a remit to expand its market, simply to service the domestic audience and to avoid unnecessary expense, which it does by restricting its transmission footprint and avoiding the extra royalties.

hi!
if you read discussion it was not about RTE anymore.... :)

thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well it's about RTE and using KA band, then widening to other broadcasters using ka band to limit off patch reception and reduction of piracy, but the reasons for potentially using KA are similar. Shareholders of these massive media companies are normally corporate, not private individuals and they are not in the least concerned about how profits are achieved, just that they are.

The Saorsat exercise will be watched closely by many large broadcasters, particularly regarding cost of roll out and effectiveness of restricting non-intended reception. Ka band will obviously reduce piracy, as if you can't receive the broadcast, then it isn't available to you by card share and could be the ideal vehicle for premium and on demand content distribution. It shouldn't be particularly difficult to manufacture a ka/ku lnb and dish pack and roll out could be carried out gradually by the large providers.

Whether it will eventually be largely adopted is unknown at the moment and pretty much pointless arguing about it, as there are too many unknowns.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
actually discussion went over to SKY UK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, as covered in my post above.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
on two pages I'm trying to explain that it is not reasonable investment for the the big broadcaster to go over to KA band, because it will be simply "burned" money

and as replies I have "only chicken and chips talk"
really sad :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You've put forward an opinion that it would be burned money and it is being refuted, can't see the problem with that.

What the hell is "chicken and chips talk"?

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
I asked quite certain question

"If I would be SKY - from where do I have extra money coming in for my investment hundreds of millions?.
Because I'm not getting even one single extra customer by restricting my coveraga area"

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
But they wouldn't be denying any potential customers in the legitimate target area.

Also, using better beam restriction techniques (whether at Ka or Ku Band) means that there is massive scope for other services covering other purposes and other geographical areas from the limited number of viable Satellite positions. It's getting crowded up there. Anything that makes better use of the available spectrum and other resources has to be seriously considered and there are more players/stakeholders than just eg BSkyB.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
sorry to be pain in the a** :)
and why just not to admit that my arguments making sense :)

me as a Rupert Murdoch would say!

I will not waste CRAZY MONEY unless I know who will pay it back ! :)
From what I see now - nobody
if some other broadcaster is out of frequencies they can go over to KA band or any other band.... but I feel myself quite comfortable when using KU band

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sticking doggedly to an unshakeable personal opinion that, somewhat ironically, seems to have a very narrow focus isn't an argument.

In any event, it isn't just down to "some other Broadcaster" - the issue has much wider connotations and implications than that.

some888

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
relook mutant 200s
My Location
england
Rupert Murdoch would say!
"you will not have a single penny from me" :)

anyway I believe I proved my point.... I will not argue about it any more

A nonymous

Reaction score
"If I would be SKY - from where do I have extra money coming in for my investment hundreds of millions?.
Because I'm not getting even one single extra customer by restricting my coveraga area"

Advertising i would say :D

Lets see some of the big companies that advertise with Sky

Virgin Media - Cable TV, Broadband,Telephone and Mobile phone in the UK.

UPC - Cable TV, Broadband & Telephone in the Republic of Ireland.

3 Mobile - Mobile phone operator in UK & Ireland.

British Telecom (BT) Television, Telephone & Broadband provider in the UK

Talk Talk - Television, Telephone & Broadband provider in the UK

UK Freeview - Television provider in the UK

Can you see where i am going with this????? Like 99% of the advertisers advertise things that are only available in the UK & the Republic of Ireland

Sky make a huge amount of money from subscribers in the UK & Ireland from adverting products that are mostly only available in the UK, thus making your argument pretty pointless :D

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
As the OP has indicated elsewhere that he no longer wishes to contribute, Thread Closed.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
'I will not waste CRAZY MONEY unless I know who will pay it back !'

Murdoch has always looked at risks, most, if not all of them go through a set of calculations at board level, and only those that will turn a profit - directly or indirectly - are approved .

Status
Not open for further replies.