X-Box + 4 games - £49.98 bargain of the year

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Argos are selling the original X-Box for £49.98 brand new (26/11/2006).

Plus add this four game pack...

Halo 2
Fable
Project Gotham Racing 2
Forza Motorsport
(worth £79.99)

FREE!

The X-Box and 4 games for £49.98

Better be quick....

_http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5671867.htm

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
It was a pretty good deal, even considering the Xbox being superceeded a year ago. I've picked up similar bargains over the years - like two N64s each costing £9.99! Like this current deal at Argos, the sum of the parts still add up to way more indvidually. When I got those N64s the official controllers were still for sale elsewhere for £15-£20! So it was cheaper to just buy more consoles as they came with controller each.

I got my Xbox on Friday even though at £50 I really can't afford it! I also can't afford the games I ordered yesterday! ;) I'm really hooked on PGR2. Even for a rubbish driver (in games and in reality!) I'm tearing through the streets pulling off some nifty moves. Not so keen on what must be a more realistic (and to me, boring) driving game that is Forza. Although I love how realistic NYC is, even for technology that is a few years out of date Times Sq and Columbus Circle are spot-on. Brought back memories (although on foot I didn't get around that quick - and taxi wasn't much quicker!)

BTW the place I ordered games from on Saturday was pretty cheap and they had some good ones in stock. Until I receive my items I obviously can't recommend them (as I've never used them before) but from a bit of Googling they seem on the level. Only thing is they charge a lot for shipping - it's per item rather than per order (and not "free" like Play or Amazon.)

For JSR Future, Midnight Club 3:Dub, NFS Underground 2 and PGR1 I paid a grand total of £33.42 (£7.46 was shipping!) I'm hoping to offset these cost buy selling Halo 2 (I know it's meant to be great but I'm not really into it) and that Fable. Although after the widespread internet chat about this Argos deal I'd imagine some Gamestations aren't going to be paying out much for these! ;)

I almost forgot - I'll probably want to get mine modded to do the whole media center thing. Are there any shops that do this (I believe some mod chips are technically legal)?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Argos do sell off their stuff so cheap.

I picked up a Gameboy(amazing) Pocket. They had removed them from the new catalogue so they gave me it for £19.99. Then appeared back at £79.99!

Bought a Gamecube for £29.99 with two free games and a memory card. They even did the Donkey Konga bongos + the cube for 39.99!

Found the official Gamecube controllers for £9.99 when Dixon were selling their stock off.

All this was years back when you could still sell the cubes fro £80 on e*ay!

Just bought this to play as we love games! Antone have any old XBox games?

Waiting for the PlayStation 2 to drop when the new 3 arrives next year.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Yeah I bagged a cheap Gamecube deal at Argos before (it was Xmas and they had Mario Smash Football with white Gamecube for £40 or £50.) Now my sister's kids have not just a Gamecube at theirs, they have two in the same room at our Mum and Dad's! ...and they still argue over who's playing what! :)

Nothing beats the 75% off sale they had a couple of years ago. I got a couple of Digital 8 Sony camcorders for £75 each and a Hi8 for £70 (IIRC) Lots of happy people that Xmas!

FWIW if anyone is about to buy this Argos Xbox (and the store still has some!) make sure the packaging is unopened! Mine was opened and I didn't realise until I got home. Fortunately everything inside was sealed so it wasn't refurb/seconds - and I sure as hell didn't want to lug it back if it was (they're bloody heavy - and bulky!)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Mine was sealed and the games. It needs a special remote to play DVDs if anyone knows where they're selling them off...

The games are some of the best released for the Xbox.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
The games were well sealed (they were like mummies!) and the console, controller, cables and the manuals were sealed - it's just the cardboard box had been opened from the bottom. Funnily enough the security seal at the top was still sealed up! LMAO

Fortunately it was clear that only the cardboard box had been "tampered" with - so no lugging the bloody thing back. Makes a mockery of their "These items are excluded from our 16-day money back guarentee" though! LMAO

I'm keeping an eye out for other XBox bargains so if I see the remote control I'll give you the heads up. FWIW (if you don't already know about it) there's a good site for games comparison shopping: www.gamestracker.co.uk - There's another one as well I think, that includes accessories as well as games.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
DVD Movie Playback kit = £4.99 * Woolworths (plus £1.50 P&P)

It may also be available instore at £4.99 sans P&P

BTW the price of the Argos Xbox deal has nearly doubled (I think it went up yesterday!)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I have two friends that work at Argos.

Yes, I have two friends!!!

You should see the stuff they walk away with for peanuts. They also have a nice little number going with "reserving" the Christmas Rush Specials which they obviously then eBay onwards at a tidy profit... It's easy when you know when the stuff is coming in from the warehouse :cool:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Skip Channel said:
DVD Movie Playback kit = £4.99 Woolworths

Yes, just got one in Woolworths said £19.99 scanned at £5.00

Thanks Skip Channel :-worship :-worship :-worship

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I'm glad you got one, spare a thought for me though... I ordered one online and I got a cancellation email through (strangely enough before I got my 'thanks for ordering' one!)

I haven't got a motor and it's raining, a walk in to town just wasn't on the cards and I hate the bus more than words can say! ;)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Skip Channel said:
I ordered one online

Would never, ever use Woolworths online - they cancelled half my order without telling me. The next order they sent the wrong disk in the correct box then would only replace it if I paid the NEW double price. That was after the said the didn't have the game - I pointed out they were taking orders (at the new price) on their web site.

If I'd know earlier I could have got you one and sent it to you...

The shop assistant wasn't much better - we don't have any... "err - that's it up there on your right" - "no, your other right" she then gave me the '360' remote! Another assistant then had to help her! Took her ages to work out the change from a £10 note - the remote was a fiver!

Looks like Woolworths have a lot to learn.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Yeah, I should've known better. I had lots of problems with MVC/ Streetsonline before (at the time they were both owned by Woolies which inturn was owned by Kingfisher.) Lots of things ordered were cancelled and I was overcharged big time for other things. Lots of emails back and forth and in the end I gave up chasing the money they owed me as it wasn't worth the time and effort.

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
xbox makes a great media center if you mod it ;). Im gonna buy this £50 offer and just use for streaming xvid from my server :D cheers for the headsup

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
D4ftpunk said:
xbox makes a great media center if you mod it ;). Im gonna buy this £50 offer and just use for streaming xvid from my server :D cheers for the headsup

Can you give us any more information on this?

Or where to find it?

And the offer is back at Argos but you'll have to work hard to find stock!

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I wanted to put the XBMC on my Xbox but it seemed way too complicated for me (I'm sitting here next to my STB with a Dragon in it that hasn't been updated since I got it!)

Plus, I managed to pick up a DVD player that could play all the Divx/Xvids I've thrown at it - and can do so even why the files are on memory cards - all for the price of £25 at Lidl!

Not as elegant a solution as a working XBMC on my Xbox - but less of a headache! Probably not much dearer anyway!