A newbie needing help (and a cuddle)

godstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM5300d , DM500, OrangeBOX , SLY
My Location
France
Hi
I'm after some advice ( and we can leave the cuddle to afterwards), I've just got my grubby hands on a dreambox (overpriced now it seems but hey thats life) and I know next to nothing about it.
A basic guide would be helpful. It only has a100mb memory so i guess I have to be selective about what I download on to it. I've never used a linux system before so I hope that you all help me . The first question is where is my dish pointing at, I've got one at Thor, one at 13°e , another at 16°e; another at 19°e and the omnipresent one at 28.2°. My Hungarian is limited so i don't need any more slavic or maygar channels just a few pointers on which channel lists to download and which servers to use.
How do you change the server lists etc?
thanks for any help

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Welcome to the world of Dreamboxing :) Now the headaches start - its going to take you weeks to get your head around it properly. DONT expect to get it all configured and have the advanced functions up and running in the next few days - it doesnt work like that with them. :D

For English channels 28E is your best bet.

When asking about servers presumably you mean card servers? Be VERY careful what you ask as any discussion of commercial pay servers whatsoever is absolutely and strictly forbidden here.

haggar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm7020Si +DM500+ TM600+ Cable receiver. 1.1 Triax, 90cm mesh Sm3500 Sat Meter,
HP DC7900 with DVB-S2 and AV to USB, 22" and 17" monitors!
My Location
London
Welcome to the forum mate,
You need at least 4 hours a day for 2 weeks, to understand your options for this small box.
Google around and see how many emu's you can use! ...
My advice, is first of all dont get confuse, forgot about all options available, start with what do u want exactly?, when you struggle post here, i am sure all members would help you

settopbox

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm 500s, and 800hd
humax 5400, antique
dell 1530 vista,
dsl internet
My Location
southern ireland
Tutorials and guides are your best bet.
your box can use a motor it would be good to utilise this as it would make life easier and you can get the most from your dreambox.

i would recommend using darkstar 2 image using a null modem cable to patch.
use dream edit to find and load a good channel list.
as for servers and c lines use google.

cuddle

godstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
Thanks to all, I realised when I started reading on the net about the functions of the box it wouldn't be easy. As for what I want it for, I'm afraid I have to be vague. Other than repeating what I said previously my Polish/czech and Hungarian is up to saturation point and I don't want to encourage anyone to illegal acts like telling me how to watch certain sats.
Where can images best be found?
Are they on this site or is a matter of going on the net until a source is found?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Correct, there are no images here, but I'm sure you will find many posts with opinions on which are preferred. A simple google will then take you to what you want.

godstar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
France
I guess I'm just finding my way around. So where do I start?
I've already got a procamd on the machine and its not giving me all I want.
Is it easy to replace & use other images ? And doubling up on another post which software to use?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It is quite true there are some images on the site however they no longer show up as they are more than 2 months old, you need to alter the parameters at the bottom of the page to say show threads from the last year then click show threads as the default is two months and these images were posted more than two months ago