Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FORTEC PASSION with TECHNOMATE HH 2600 and 90cm dish with
ICECRYPT LNB.
DELL DIMENSION 4600
My Location
ESSEX COAST
Hi, can someone please advise.
I am considering purchasing a second sat receiver.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a linux receiver?

Regards Qwest

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
You get to load a lot of software, mainly plug ins, to play with, then scream when it freezes and you need to do a factory default:)

It all depends what you want to use it for, some have so many features that it's hard to classify all linux based receivers as being the same.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Linux boxes are infinitely customisable.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
They are a PITA. Some things that should be very easy to do are not, menus can be illogically laid out on a bad image and undesirable outcomes can sometimes occur if you change something that the software hadn't allowed for, but should do. For FTA use, I've not found any advantages, apart from perhaps the web interface.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Oh and consider what you want to do with them - if you are into feed hunting dont buy a Vu+ Duo as the software is useless on them for this purpose - and from what I understand on most of the other Enigma 2 boxes as well)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
QWEST said:
What are the advantages/disadvantages of a linux receiver?
That's a bit like trying to compare the advantages/disadvantages of an abacus against those of the modern computer.

First, when most people say Linux they are most likely referring to Enigma or Enigma 2. If you go for anything else you are probably looking at zero, or almost zero support, and maybe even firmware that is proprietary.

Also you have to remember Linux is just software; you still need to look for a receiver that suits your hardware requirements (SD/HD, single/twin tuner, blind scan, etc).

Robbo said:
Some things that should be very easy to do are not, menus can be illogically laid out on a bad image and undesirable outcomes can sometimes occur if you change something that the software hadn't allowed for
There are examples of bad software everywhere throughout the world of modern devices (PCs, mobile phones, etc), including plenty of non-Linux generic satellite receivers. At least if you buy a Linux receiver and you are not happy with the software you can change it.

Robbo said:
For FTA use, I've not found any advantages, apart from perhaps the web interface.
Well first and foremost, the Linux receivers are the only non-Sky and non-Freesat receivers that can access the Sky and Freesat 7-day over-the-air EPGs, as well as other over-the-air EPGs from other satellites, and the vast online databases of EPG information.

Also, they are the only receivers I've come across so far that are fully capable of controlling a complex aerial system.

Lastly, if you are a fiddler, or deleter, you can mess anything up, as you can with any computer, but it is not true these receivers are difficult to operate; my 6-year-old does just fine driving it.

QWEST

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FORTEC PASSION with TECHNOMATE HH 2600 and 90cm dish with
ICECRYPT LNB.
DELL DIMENSION 4600
My Location
ESSEX COAST
Many thanks for your reply, but do I understand that at least one advantage is that you don't need to buy a cam for the purpose of de-scrambling, but would you still need to buy a programmer.
Secondly, do linux receivers give a better epg coverage ie not just astra 19.2 which is the case with my fortec passion.

Regards Qwest

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
QWEST said:
Many thanks for your reply,
I am looking for an hd receiver with two or three tuners (all fta) with an epg that works on most sats (not just astra 19.2).
Also with cam programming (to receive unscrambled channels) do I understand that I won't need to buy a cam for these receivers but will a programmer still be needed.
Can you at all recommend a decent linux enigma receiver?

Regards Qwest
You just load a softcam and the receiver will read your subscription viewing card.

EPG: you config the EPG to download whichever satellites or packages you want, as long as that data exists.

For twin tuner receivers check out the Vu+ Duo and the Clarke-Tech ET9000.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Huevos said:
You just load a softcam and the receiver will read your subscription viewing card.

EPG: you config the EPG to download whichever satellites or packages you want, as long as that data exists.

For twin tuner receivers check out the Vu+ Duo and the Clarke-Tech ET9000.

Be aware there are problems with some cards - eg some members have reported Sky Italia cards have been permanently disabled in some boxes in the last few months.

And that many channels dont even send now and next let alone full epg data. Things are particularly good with the German channels on 19E.

General observations:

Are Linux boxes satisfying to own - on the whole yes, (although I really detest my Vu+ Duo and will be replacing it at some point.)

Are they tricky to get to grips with. - yes & no. You can take one out of the box and have it up and running on the free channels like any other receiver in an hour or so. However when you start playing with the advanced features you will be learning new tricks for MONTHS!

DONT expect to take one out of the box and have it running all your pay channels the first night. That could take a few weeks to get your head around!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
many channels dont even send now and next let alone full epg data.
Yes, obviously if there is no now-&-next transmitted the receiver can receive it. What I was getting at in post #6 was that Linux boxes can receive the Sky and Freesat EPGs, which are there instead of, not as well as, DVB EPGs.

A nonymous

Reaction score
although I really detest my Vu+ Duo and will be replacing it at some point

I honestly think that will be a mistake as there is no way you have had time to explore what the box is capable of or had time to explore other images. The thought of going back to my DM7020 is not something i want to think about now that i'm used to e2 images. There are plenty of e2 images available not just for the Vu+ but also other linux receivers.

I've tried 5 images on my DM800HD today alone and still keep going back to Newenigma2 :D.

If you keep looking you will find an image that you will like for the Vu+. The Vu+ is a better spec than anything that Dream has for the same price. Its a well built box and has plentry of support, i honestly think it would be a mistake selling it. Although i'll quite happily swap it with you for 10 cans of Banks's bitter :-righton

I know your a fan of Enigma 1, but as far as i am aware there aren't that many boxes available now that will do HD under Enigma1 other than the IPBOX HD 55, 99 & 9000. You can get an IPBox 99HD for under £200 :D

Nano

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If there wasnt 2 trays of Banks's in the cupboard stored for Christmas I might be tempted :-rofl2 :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
Alright then, you've twisted my arm,

10 Cans of Banks's bitter, 10 Cans of Banks's Mild and 10 Cans of Banks's Barley Gold (Better than Special brew lol)

Thats my final offer :confused

Attachments

• Banks's Barley gold.jpg
    Banks's Barley gold.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 67

A nonymous

Reaction score
OK i'll chuck in a bag of scratchings and a tub of Grey peas and bacon aswell, Final offer :-lmao

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
@Analoguesat

When I sold my old DM7000 and bought the DM800HD when it first came out, I thought i'd made a big mistake.

Everything seemed very different, and at first it seemed that nothing worked the way it should.

After messing with several images, I found that nabilosat (which then changed to blackhole) images worked perfectly for me and suddenly everything fell into place and just worked :)

I have since moved onto the vu+ duo, and again at first I tried some of the "popular images" which at the time everyone was raving about (and 1 in particular everyone still does rave about), but I couldn't get on with them.

I also couldn't get used to the vu+ remote, the buttons all felt like they were in the wrong places, and I kept doing things that I didn't want to do, but after a week or so, I got used to it (it was only after using the duo for a week or so, that I went back to use the dm800 and found the buttons on the remote for that were in the wrong places ;) lol)

So I put the blackhole image onto my duo, and once again i've not looked back, everything feels right and works spot on for me.

So as said above, just take some time and try the various images out there, you will find 1 that will suit you and your find it just works then :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
cokeaddict said:
@Analoguesat

you will find 1 that will suit you and your find it just works then :D

And if I dont - I have a hard decision. Sledgehammer or pickaxe???? :-rofl2

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
Analoguesat said:
And if I dont - I have a hard decision. Sledgehammer or pickaxe???? :-rofl2

If it gets that bad, i'll swap both for your duo lol :D

popol

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cokeaddict said:
@Analoguesat

When I sold my old DM7000 and bought the DM800HD when it first came out, I thought i'd made a big mistake.

Everything seemed very different, and at first it seemed that nothing worked the way it should.

After messing with several images, I found that nabilosat (which then changed to blackhole) images worked perfectly for me and suddenly everything fell into place and just worked :)

I have since moved onto the vu+ duo, and again at first I tried some of the "popular images" which at the time everyone was raving about (and 1 in particular everyone still does rave about), but I couldn't get on with them.

I also couldn't get used to the vu+ remote, the buttons all felt like they were in the wrong places, and I kept doing things that I didn't want to do, but after a week or so, I got used to it (it was only after using the duo for a week or so, that I went back to use the dm800 and found the buttons on the remote for that were in the wrong places ;) lol)

So I put the blackhole image onto my duo, and once again i've not looked back, everything feels right and works spot on for me.

So as said above, just take some time and try the various images out there, you will find 1 that will suit you and your find it just works then :D

I agree entirely with that too. My Vu Duo has been stable with the BH image.