My Satellite Setup
Televes 80cm Dish,
Stab HH90 Motor,
Inverto Black Ultra 0.2 lnb,
VU+ Duo with BH image
My Location
Redcar
Please help.

There is an awful beeping and ticking noise coming from my LNB, it started last night and it is gradually getting louder. I have disconnected the power supply and the cable to the box, but it hasn't solved the problem. The LNB is an Inverto Black Ultra and is only a few months old.

Does anyone know what is happening, as I will be getting complaints from the neighbours if this keeps going on!!

Many thanks jb000

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Haven't got some tiny creature nesting in the LNB's plastic housing, have you :eek:

Joking (I hope) apart, there's no mechanical parts in the LNB that could prodece such noises, are you sure it's the LNB itself, or maybe it's ambient sounds being picked up by the dish and appearing to be focussed on the LNB?

jb000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Televes 80cm Dish,
Stab HH90 Motor,
VU+ Duo with BH image
My Location
Redcar
Thanks for reply.

Noise has just stopped a couple of minutes ago, but still wondering what it could have been. This has never happened before, I do have a motor on the dish and it could have been that. The ticking and beeping was still evident when all power was switched off.

Just had a look at dish out of bedroom window, there is no sign of anything nesting there and the noise was definately an electronical noise.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
If you hear the phrase "take me to your leader" from your LNB then you should start to worry

jb000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Televes 80cm Dish,
Stab HH90 Motor,
VU+ Duo with BH image
My Location
Redcar
I think it may be more of a motor fault than the LNB come to think of it. I am going to leave everything disconnected for 24 hours, then reconnect and see what happens. Will let forum know what happens.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
even if the power is off the lnb is still sending 14 or 18 v dc up the line.
if you unplug the mains from the box then there is no power 100% and the noise will stop.
i have never seen a lnb make a noise but the motor can make a noise.
but even withy that i can not see it being so loud that it could disturbe someone.
is this noise high pitched?
ralph

jb000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Televes 80cm Dish,
Stab HH90 Motor,
VU+ Duo with BH image
My Location
Redcar
ralphmagno said:
hello,
if you unplug the mains from the box then there is no power 100% and the noise will stop.
but even withy that i can not see it being so loud that it could disturbe someone.
ralph

Yes it's quite a high pitched beeping noise coming from what I thought was originally the lnb but probably in reality is the motor. It beeps for a while then statrts a dull ticking noise. I have disconnected the cable from the satellite box and switched off the mains and gradually it stopped. I am hoping that leaving it for 24 hours it could sort itself out. It has rained quite a bit lately where I live and off the top of my head it might have something to do with that. All this started last night and it was getting louder into the following afternoon.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
ralphmagno said:
hello,
ralph

Am sure that if power is 'off'' the Receiver (not Lnb) will not supply power to the Lnb. In any case it must be the motor which is the culprit. Lnb's simply don't have any mechanical moving parts

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whilst LNBs don't have moving parts they do contain cavities which (under the right conditions) amplify a noise such as arcing on the circuit board.

I would however suspect the motor initially unless there is something loose with the mounting barcketry or even a bolt holding the whole assembly to the wall.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
most satellite receivers still supply lnb power in the stand-by mode.
sky boxes and AFN boxes are just two.
one way to find out.
place your receiver in the stand-by mode and measure the coax going to the lnb.
if you find 14 or 18 v dc that solves the probleme on the power thing.
ralph

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Standby mode in almost all domestic satellite receivers (apart from Sky boxes) remove the voltage supplies to the LNB.

zorbua

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD
Dreambox 800se
Dreambox 900UHD
Clark Tech 5000 HD
Numerous other receivers (Retired)
Dish Gibertini 1.5 M
Dishes Gibertini 1.2 x2
Dish Gibertini 1 M
My Location
Malta
Precisely so!! Infact if you want to use the 'loop through' function of a Receiver you have to put that Rx in standy mode (no voltage) to be able to switch 'On' the other Rx. and pass voltage to the LNB.