'Behind the Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football' by Jonathan Wilson

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
ISBN - 978-0752879451

If you like your football, reading a bit of travel writing, and have nowt to do this Christmas, I don't think you can go far wrong with this examination of the past, present, and future of football in the Eastern Bloc.

Jonathan Wilson writes in such an accessible, warm, and humorous fashion that even the casual football follower will be engaged in this read. The stories and histories of players, teams, leagues, and even the countries to which he travels are revealed to us in way which successfully avoids the trap of being bogged down in statistical overviews.

Wilson writes about the human in the game; great players, great matches, great scandals, and great recollections from those who were there, including a certain Mr Slavan Bilic of Croatia.

As a lifelong fan of football in the region, Wilson is able to present the reader with an insight into not just the football, but the culture in which it is situated, and with his own extensive knowledge and network of fixers he gives a balanced view throughout.

Anyone for sunflower seeds?

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
Yes, it's an excellent read. I would also recommend like minded readers to try any of Charlie Connelly's football books which are great. A nice blend of fact and good humour.