Blank screen - explanation?

Stephen W

Reaction score
My Location
Norfolk
I had Sky HD installed about 8 days ago, having bought myself a Toshiba 32" TV (Model 32AV505D) the week before. Following the successful installation all went well until suddenly in the middle of the Formula 1 GP on Sunday the screen suddenly went blank. I immediately changed to another input (one that connects my Skybox to DVD and the TV by RF) where the picture was fine. I then changed back to the HDMI and all was back to normal. Incidentally the digibox had not gone into standby or anything - it appeared to be AOK throughout. The same thing happened a little later that day and also once yesterday.

My friendly Sky engineer visited today and moved the HDMI cable from the TV's input 1 to 2 and also changed the setting from 1080i to 720p on the Pictures Setting menu. Whether this will do the trick remains to be seen.

The only possible explanation for these occurrences he could offer (having spoken to the engineers in Sky) was there might be a software problem with my TV. Time will tell but, in the meantime, any other thoughts would be welcomed.

I do know there are some incompatabilities between certain TVs and the HD digibox but this particular model of TV appears not to be one of those that are affected.

streetlighter

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin V+HD XL Technomate 6800 Astra+Hotbird FTA on 60 cm dish
My Location
Cheshire
I too have had this problem with my TV thats a Philips the blank screen and the sound going in he background.
Im thinking certain TVs are incompatable and Sky should state this when a HD box is ordered.
They should also offer a list of recommended TVs for use with Sky HD and offer a discount for subscribers on those sets.

bobdisk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AB IPbox 9000HD & Humax Foxsat+ HD, and about to upgrade dish, dont know what for yet!
My Location
Near Heathrow, UK
You dont seriously think they will offer any discounts :-humbug ???!!!