Channel Master/Laminas 1.8m project

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, very easy. I am lucky in that there's limited visibility of the dish from outside my property. Unless you're a sheep or a cow grazing in the neighbouring field.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Excellent new. No doubt you'll keep us "posted" as the installation goes along.

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Looks like my planning application should be approved over the next 2 weeks or so... comments from the council::D

Congrats 'CJ'..........looking forward to pics and scans......can imagine how u feel...... respect-048.gif

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Obviously nothing official and I hope there are no restrictions of any kind...We'll see

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
So you've got 3 years to get it up? The clock is ticking...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yeah, probably won't start doing this for a few months yet - far too many other priorities. The house flood was worse than we thought, having had to remove asbestos flooring under the tiles on top of those, just to dry them out. Then there are plenty of issues with the conservatory, which are pointless fixing, so we are starting from scratch there.

It's all taking too long, too much time and too much money.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Yeah, probably won't start doing this for a few months yet - far too many other priorities. The house flood was worse than we thought, having had to remove asbestos flooring under the tiles on top of those, just to dry them out. Then there are plenty of issues with the conservatory, which are pointless fixing, so we are starting from scratch there.

It's all taking too long, too much time and too much money.

Great news Alex:), you will have an understanding why I did not put mine up straight away now, Priorities :).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Great news Alex:), you will have an understanding now why I did not put mine up straight away now, Priorities :).
Just as well you're not on a dead line. ;)

I've got my 1.2m CM to put up sometime at the new place but not sure when I'll get a chance yet.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
The more I am thinking about this, the more I am inclined to get the Laminas. I really, really want the 1224 to drive the dish but even with the Jumbo version of the motor, which I have, I am a bit scared of the weight of the whole thing, especially if I am to get the LNB rotator as well as the inclination mechnism. While I have a polar mount suitable for the dish, I really hate them because of non-linear pulse counts across the arc and the fact that getting a decent Venture actuator costs only slightly less than the Laminas!

The Laminas is lighter, suitable for the 1224 (the Jumbo version will have no issues driving that at all) and far more multi-LNB bracket friendly.

Decisions, decisions...

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
You still have the same size dish and the wind factor will be the same, I would not even consider putting a dish of this size on that motor without doing what ive done/something similar, I am not just saying this because I might be selling the 1224, but its £150 plus postage if I decide to sell it and I will give you the first refusal.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Yes, the wind loading is the same but the initial weight will be very different. The Jumbo motor from scopus that I have is very well reinforced and proper heavy duty outside but inside it's still the same old 1224 motor.

Take a look at this photo - it just looks so much tidier than a polar mount...

gallery_46812_3_212982.jpg

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
There is only little screw holding it to the body at the end of the day, my personal choice would not be to use it, if a strong wind gets hold of it it would rip it in two, but the choice is yours, you could attach a safety line to the dish for piece of mind :).

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
You seemed happy with your 1224 on the CM, though?

It will definitely have safety lines somewhere but then it'll be at ground level anyway, so only stray badgers and hedgehogs are danger.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
You seemed happy with your 1224 on the CM, though?

Yes 100% but its not going to drive a 1.8 for ever without maintenance, if you have a close look what ive done with it its like a mount as well as a 1224 and its impossible for it to take to the air without taking the pole and everything else with it, I also have 6 quality actuators 2 of them will drive the 2.4 with ease and maybe last 14/20 years with just greasing them once a year.