Crimped F-Types - do they still need to be wrapped in amalgamating tape?

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 dish, TM2600 motor, T&K brackets, inverto ultra black twin lnb, vu+ duo receiver
My Location
Lancashire
hi guys

do these crimped F-Types need to be wrapped in amalgamating tape still?

i have the crimp tool attached, so thought i may as well buy some crimped f-types for it. Will be using WF100 cable.

silly question i know but just want to make sure.

Thanks

Attachments

• 3426_DAS1008.jpg
    3426_DAS1008.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 21
  • crimp tool.jpg
    crimp tool.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 19

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
F connectors without an O-ring need protection to stop water ingress. Those WITH don't need self-amalgamating tape, although doesn't hurt to still apply a little.

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 dish, TM2600 motor, T&K brackets, inverto ultra black twin lnb, vu+ duo receiver
My Location
Lancashire
satelliteman said:
F connectors without an O-ring need protection to stop water ingress. Those WITH don't need self-amalgamating tape, although doesn't hurt to still apply a little.

thanks mate :)

cs91044

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master macthed feed horn with c120 quad invacom 54 west to 45 east ; 1m Triax Multi LNB 13-16-19-28 - Technomate 5000DAPCI
My Location
North West
Couple of Tips apply vaseline to the threads when connecting to the lnb - the f connecttre will screw on easier and you will have a waterproof layer left in the threads - Secondly always apply amalgamating tape where the joint is exposed to moisture ie: if the lnb does not have a cover for example - Whereever moisture can accumalate bacteria can grow and its bacteria that eats away at things over a period of time ever wondered why nothing grows in the desert?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A good quality well tightened crimp or compression type "F" connector, even if it doesn't have an "O" ring will be pretty much weatherproof, I've disconnected lots of old screw on type "F" connectors which have had no tape weatherproofing and found that the thread has been clean metal, no sign of moisture ingress. But as Satelliteman says, a little bit of Self amalgamating tape won't hurt if your LNB does not have a pull down cover or rubber gaiters. :)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
cs91044 said:
Secondly always apply amalgamating tape where the joint is exposed to moisture ie: if the lnb does not have a cover

Not essential but no harm in doing so.

The Cabelcon connectors with an O-ring don't actually need additional sealing, as with other similar connectors.

The unique NiTin-6™ plated Cabelcon with EPDM sealing in the nut and the compression sealing to the cable makes them 100 % waterproof IPX8 (30m/8h).

When the nut is tightened the EPDM O-ring between the nut and the front part of the connector prevents water immersion from the front side. Thus the connection is completely watertight without any additional sealing.

Source: cabelcon