Core 2 Quad Q9550
4GB OCZ
500GB Samsung SATA
Windows 7 Ultimate
No sat receiver at the moment
My Location
Cork
Hello,

It’s been a very long time since I last visited this forum. I found it very helpful back in the old day, so I thought I’ll ask here again.

I am considering to buy a satellite digital receiver once again, but it’s been over 5 years since I last looked at the topic, so I am a little out of touch with the recent developments. Can anybody recommend me a digital receiver that will work with multiple encryption systems? I mean one that is reasonably future-proof, has reasonably well established support and costs under £200? Back in my day the Dreambox was the top of the art must-have if you were looking to use its capabilities for educational purposes, if you know what I mean. Is there anything new now worth looking at?

BTW, I am not interested in any CAM modules. I used to own a Matrix Reloaded CAM and I was very disappointed when almost nothing worked while my mate next door was enjoing his Dreambox 7000 magic.

dcselec

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dark Box Super Hd
Dream Box 800 (clone)
Diablo cAM CAS 3 Prog
90cm dish DiSEqc 1.2 Motor
My Location
manchester
Hi
there is very little for free these days some channels
on thor 1w are open with a soft cam dreambox is not a
magic tool read up on card sharing thats the way forward
but you need to read the posts on this site as this may
cost as well

Dave

madaload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Core 2 Quad Q9550
4GB OCZ
500GB Samsung SATA
Windows 7 Ultimate
My Location
Cork
Thanks Dave! I've looked it up and I can't say I'm impressed. Paid servers and prosecution aren't what I'm looking for. I live in a pretty remote place, so sharing the cost of a subscription with others is not an option for me.
I've just looked at some upload forums and found softcams with decent amount of updated keys. I don't really need SKY or Premiere or any of that stuff. I'd be quite happy with Discovery or Nat Geo in English or German. I've also heard there are providers that broadcast HBO in multiple languages including English, which can be viewed by means of equipment for educational and research purposes.

I just need some advice on what type of equipment to buy. Like the brand and type that would fit the description from my post at the top of this page. And if the receiver has LAN capability, I may even try out card sharing over the Internet at some point.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
To be honest, with the way things are, a Dreambox is still probably your best bet. Though there are other Linux machines as well, like the Azbox, Cuberevo,Triple Dragon,TM600 etc etc. With the appropriated add-ons these receivers will accept most paid subscriber cards too.

Having said that, I still love my TM6800, its really good and easy to use for FTA channels, the Linux machines are a bit of a PITA to get the hang of.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
madaload said:
I'd be quite happy with Discovery or Nat Geo in English or German. I've also heard there are providers that broadcast HBO in multiple languages including English, which can be viewed by means of equipment for educational and research purposes.

These are available on DigiTV 0.8W at this time, but shouldn't be for long.

robbiemcd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 6800 +diablo - im motorised dish
My Location
belfast
SPIDERBOX a++++++

THIS BOX WILL DEFFO BE WORTH THE MONEY - AVAILIBLE IN UNDER 2 WEKS

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You cannot possibly rate a box that hasnt even been released yet as a+++++ !!

The specs look good but it could be buggy as hell on release :D

Its being plugged by the mad Albanian and we all know his record on accuracy with regards to some satellite topics that benefit the shop allied to his forum ;)

madaload

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Core 2 Quad Q9550
4GB OCZ
500GB Samsung SATA
Windows 7 Ultimate
My Location
Cork
satelliteman said:
These are available on DigiTV 0.8W at this time, but shouldn't be for long.

Would you explain that, please? Why shouldn't it be for long? I mean if there is nothing I find interesting to watch, then I won't be buying a box. I'd appreciate any info that could help me decide.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Digi TV are upgrading their encryption and are expected to go secure again early in 2010