Digital Terrestrial Channels in Israel

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Digital Terrestrial Channels in Israel are supposed to launch in July 2009. They will include Channels IBA 1, Channel 2, Channel 10, Channel 33 and the Knesset (Parliament) channel. They will all be transmitted FTA (not encrypted).
Viewers will need to buy a special receiver so that it would interface with the widely used analogue TV sets, with an estimated cost of ~400 NIS (~ $100) and the possibility to offer it at reduced cost to low or zero income viewers.
I am interested in receiving now the test transmissions and am wondering if anybody in Israel has any success in receiving them and which receiver they are using.
I read somewhere that UHF channel 49 will be used and that the Norwegian system has been adapted.
How does the Freeview receiver in the UK compares to this spec and what does the Norwegian system means.
Thanks for any replies, as this is all new to me.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hi HB

I have no specific info re Israel, I do however mention that I had a freecom usb stick for 2 1/2 years until it died and now use BlazeDTV HDTV sticks and have two of them. Channel 49 is not used very often in the UK, however both will scan all possible frequencies but do take some time to do that. You can do blind scan or specifiy a particular range and bandwidth. If you are looking at a freeview stb I can only extol the virtues of a Sagem PVR 6200T UK and a Warfdale DVDR24HD160F the latter does tend to freeze every so often but has some better features than the user friendly menu of the Sagem. Of course I would have thought you would be better off with the usb stick to start with as IIRC in Israel they do not seem to use scart very much.

forgot the link here

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Topper said:
Hi HB

I have no specific info re Israel, I do however mention that I had a freecom usb stick for 2 1/2 years until it died and now use BlazeDTV HDTV sticks and have two of them. Channel 49 is not used very often in the UK, however both will scan all possible frequencies but do take some time to do do. You can do blind scan or specifiy a particular range and bandwidth. If you are looking at a freeview stb I can only extol the virtues of a Sagem PVR 6200T UK and a Warfdale DVDR24HD160F the latter does tend to freeze every so often but has some better features than the user friendly menu of the Sagem. Of course I would have thought you would be better off with the usb stick to start with as IIRC in Israel they do not seem to use scart very much.

Thanks Topper for the info.
I expect the market to be flooded with DTT receivers over the next coming months.
I would like to do some tests.
I prefer a standard STB (not US:cool: without recording function, as I would like to help an elderly neighbor who doesn't have a dish pointed at Amos, and if the DTT tests prove to be good, then I can give it to him so that he can enjoy the channels at minimum cost now instead of waiting till July.
Can you please give me a link to a simple DTT receiver manual that is used in the UK. Do UK receivers comply with the Norweigian standard?
Thanks again for your help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
HB13DISH said:
Can you please give me a link to a simple DTT receiver manual that is used in the UK. Do UK receivers comply with the Norweigian standard?
Thanks again for your help.

According to this site the Norwegian system use SFN a single frequency network which our UK system is not, personally have never heard of it therefore do not know how that operates. A pdf for a UK freeview PVR is here

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks again Topper. :)
There is another website
_http://www.nordig.org with the specifications.

yehuda-k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet. I am about to start
My Location
israel
HB13DISH said:
Digital Terrestrial Channels in Israel are supposed to launch in July 2009.

It will start later. look _http://www.rashut2.org.il/about_auctions.asp?catId=43 and find out that it might be delayed by a year (estimated).

yehuda

yehuda-k

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet. I am about to start
My Location
israel
HB13DISH said:
Digital Terrestrial Channels in Israel are supposed to launch

this site sell a _http://www.arcade.co.il/shop/product_info.php?products_id=67" which claimed to receive Israeli channels 1,2,10.

yehuda

shavit

Reaction score
Website
www.satil.com
My Satellite Setup
Topfield , 1.2 & 1.8 meter dishes, AMOS+NILESAT+HotBird+Astra1
My Location
ISRAEL
Full details are available at
_http://www.godigital.co.il/