Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive seen similar on the local doctors surgeries around the Scottish Borders, so very likely a site to site comms link.

Currently on holiday in southern Poland - lots of dishes to be seen round here - 13E/19E dual lnbs is a common one on 80cm or 1m dishes - theres one on the roof not 20 feet from where Im sitting on the hotel balcony :D

Canal+, Cyfrowy & N branded dishes seem to be very common - one 60cm "sky dish" oval with N branding caught my attention this afternoon

BM300

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, 7020, 800HD
HD-USB
8 Dishes
My Location
UAE
Topper said:
Another bit of mystery and intrigue, on a long weekend in Paris for a relative's wedding and was up the Eiffel Tower yesterday and on one leg pointing towards the middle of the structure was this baby

It looks like a microwave dish, used in communications

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Our wandering yesterday afternoon and discovered the Tour Of Poland bike race was finishing in Zakopane - the amount of comms and tv equipment on show from TVP1 was astonishing. Numerous cameras (including an impressive boom effort over the finish line), lorries, miles of cabling 4 uplink stations, at least 3 big "diamondvision" type tv screens.

Lots of photos taken, so I'll put some up when I get home. :)

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
A couple of shots taken a few weeks ago of a satellite dish on the Silja Line ferries between Stockholm and Helsinki. It picks up channels from 1°W and is piped to various TVs around the ship including the cabins, with the mainstream channels from Finland (YLE, MTV3, Nelonen, etc) and Sweden (SVT, TV3, TV4, etc), plus a few international channels from Canal Digital like the Canal+ movie and sports channels, Cartoon Network and BBC World News.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Topper said:
And from our apartment in Paris there was the smallest prime focus dish I have ever seen, cannot have been more than 60cm

There's something similar on the back of the LloydsTSB building in Nelson, always thought about going in there and asking what it's for and if it's disused, too late now though, it's 100-odd miles away from me... O-Ha

Picture obtained via google streetview...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
There's something similar on the back of the LloydsTSB building in Nelson, always thought about going in there and asking what it's for and if it's disused, too late now though, it's 100-odd miles away from me... O-Ha

Picture obtained via google streetview...

That is an 80 or 90 cm I would say but the one in Paris was tiny by comparison as can be seem from the vent at the side of it

ESAIS

Reaction score
Website
www.l18esais.com
My Satellite Setup
Just Sky TV at home now But have Installed Sat Dishes in 80+ different Countries from 35cm to 16m
My Location
Southern England
Topper, the dish on top of the C&A Building in Paris is a either a 3.7 or 4.5m PML that would of been made in Stratford on avon until Andrew brought them out in about 2000.
The Square dish in Blackpool, is a TMW internet link from about 1998 to 2004 before ASDL I think Tele2 they had several large towns around uk that they had a Central Omni and the guys would point these square dishes at.

2CVbloke,
The Lloyds TSB network was installed in about 1993/4, it was a one way video confrencing type of system, encrypted with a SA decoader, where the CEO and other top people would talk to all the branches, a VCR would capture the broadcast, and then staff could play it back during banking times. the last I heard it wasnt being used after 98. I installed many of these, then had the job of going to many of the problem ones, Low signal issues etc for about 6 months, late 93.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ESAIS said:
Topper, the dish on top of the C&A Building in Paris is a either a 3.7 or 4.5m PML that would of been made in Stratford on avon until Andrew brought them out in about 2000.

Ok thanks but I cannot understand why they would need one so big

ESAIS said:
The Square dish in Blackpool, is a TMW internet link from about 1998 to 2004 before ASDL I think Tele2 they had several large towns around uk that they had a Central Omni and the guys would point these square dishes at.

Well I would question that as firstly the installation looks quite recent and secondly, any aerial and bracket assembly on a chimney in Blackpool would have rotted to a pile of bits in that timescale with the abrasive sea salt and sand carried in the wind.
I did wonder if it had been installed or commandeered by an alarm/security company to provide a link back to central control instead of using PSTN or ISDN

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Here's one from my recent trip to Tunisia. My... they have some proper dish mature content over there. Pretty much every house has a satellite dish. And not little ones, but large prime focus ones, generally motorised. In fact, I had to look hard for a building that DIDN'T have a dish.

There were three on our hotel. The largest one (3m+) seemed to receive 28E cluster. CBBC/BBC3 was shown in our room but the picture broke up frequently and was unwatchable in the evenings, despite a clear sky. A smaller one (2m?) was used for Hot Bird and the smallest (1m) seemed to point at 7W for MBC stuff. (I seem to have lost the pictures from my laptop - will get these from my girlfriend's).

Actually since coming back, I find myself watching MBC channels on a semi-regular basis from 26E as it seems to have a decent selection of shows/movies.

ESAIS

Reaction score
Website
www.l18esais.com
My Satellite Setup
Just Sky TV at home now But have Installed Sat Dishes in 80+ different Countries from 35cm to 16m
My Location
Southern England
Why so big, Depending, the PML dishes are Transmit as well as receive. as it has motors on it it might track as well.

the Sq dish I did say I think meaning I wasnt sure but they look the same. if it were It would be slower than broadband, a lot of the old mobil towers still use the old system for packet data services, it used to be called Vodafone Pacnet but I dont know if they still use the pre digital stuff as they did back in 94 to 98.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ESAIS said:
the Sq dish I did say I think meaning I wasnt sure but they look the same. if it were It would be slower than broadband, a lot of the old mobil towers still use the old system for packet data services, it used to be called Vodafone Pacnet but I dont know if they still use the pre digital stuff as they did back in 94 to 98.

We used Vodaphone Paknet services from 1996 to 2009 to authorise credit cards but they used small radio pads linked via an odd TNC connector to a radio aerial approx 1mtr in length , indeed I still have one I think lurking somewhere in the garage.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive been in Poland for my summer break, and Ive got quite a few pics to put up. For starters here are the uplink trucks for the Tour Of Poland bike race - stage 5 finish in Zakopane

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Analoguesat said:
Ive been in Poland .... Zakopane

What a lovely place, wouldn't you agree? In winter is even better.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Not exactly satellite but, I think, could be used for SAT reception as well after some demilitarization.
Edit: Taken by handy, so quality could be better.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Some more from the Zakopane region of Poland

Left to right:

Zakopane tv transmitter

dishes on an apartment block

cameras at the Tour of Poland finish line

action man!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
This is an interesting one - the two lower dishes will be pointing at 13E. But look at the top one - my best guess is its a wimax wifi dish pointing at a local transmitter.

It definitely wasnt pointing at the local tv transmitter though - I checked its direction carefully (and nearly got run over doing so!)

This wasnt the only dish we saw like this - there were quite a few around there angled right over like this one.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Bloody dish tourists :D

Maybe the top one has been blown away by the wind?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
Was traveling another day away from capital. I think those antennas hanging as "decoration". Do not know size of big ones, but think it could be 2,5-3m. I have friend in that city, so asked him to explore to whom they are belonging and how much he wants. Would be interesting to get one.:-righton than I could try to get Astra1N UK beam.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Analoguesat said:
This is an interesting one - the two lower dishes will be pointing at 13E. But look at the top one - my best guess is its a wimax wifi dish pointing at a local transmitter.

It definitely wasnt pointing at the local tv transmitter though - I checked its direction carefully (and nearly got run over doing so!)

This wasnt the only dish we saw like this - there were quite a few around there angled right over like this one.

In spain we subbed to a dreadful wimax broadband and phone service and the dish we had looked like a cross between a squarial and a microwave point to point dish, maybe half the size of a squarial, same shape though

Maybe looking at a bird right on the horrizon line to the west maybe? I cant see it though to be honest just because of it size

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:

The LNB should give a clue, but the resolution isn't good enough on the site photo.