blobbyknobby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
fortec star 4400
dreambox 500 s
My Location
Ireland
need a bit of help. A relative was given what looks like a clone DM500S. Im an electrical engineer by trade. The box upgraded its software when hooked to the internet. This has now somehow bricked the unit... Ive made a null modem cable and tried flashing with dreamup (various versions) the software asks to turn unit on, it says it recognises the dm500 then hangs there, other versions say initiating flash update, but hang also. What can I do without resorting to building a jtag cable?

How can I resurrect this box!!

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
Use an older version of Dreamup, use the next version down from the one you have now, if that doesn't work, try the next one down from that, and the next one down from that

Thats how I got it to work with my clone

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
i had this problem once where no matter which dreamup i used,
the box was being acknowledged but it would just hang....

are you just using the null modem cable?

from what i can remember i used the null modem cable and an ethernet cable ,
i connected both null modem cable to com port and ethernet cable to the router at the same time,
i made sure i ticked 'Use Network' on dreamup and then had a go and it worked,
i kept the dreamup version that worked at the time on one of my backup hard drives,
the version that worked for me is 'DreamUP_1_3_3_4',
to be honest it was so long ago that i did this,
but from the top of my head im sure i did the above...

blobbyknobby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
fortec star 4400
dreambox 500 s
My Location
Ireland
The box is powering on showing a green lite.. Thats it... connecting a ethernet cable doesnt register a ip in my router.
Wheres best to download software like dreamup, as the only place i can find require you to register then limit what you can download!!

Many thanks so far...

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD SE, Dreambox 500S, Skybox F5S, 90cm Solid Dish, Tm2600 Motor, Inverto Black Ultra LNB! :)
My Location
Lost...
The box is powering on showing a green lite.. Thats it... connecting a ethernet cable doesnt register a ip in my router.
Wheres best to download software like dreamup, as the only place i can find require you to register then limit what you can download!!

Many thanks so far...

as long as you have power going to the box when you use dreamup to flash the box,
at the same time as the null modem cable is connected from the box to the pc com port,
make sure you also connect an ethernet cable from your box to the router,
tick 'use network' and then try to flash as normal.
from the top of my head thats what worked for me,
when my STB was hanging when i was trying to flash it

blobbyknobby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
fortec star 4400
dreambox 500 s
My Location
Ireland
As ive stated above... hooking up a ethernet cable produces no ip in the table.. this indicates the dreambox isnt asking for a dhcp lease.. so when i tick use network it ask for address which i cannot give...

saj1985

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lost...
As ive stated above... hooking up a ethernet cable produces no ip in the table.. this indicates the dreambox isnt asking for a dhcp lease.. so when i tick use network it ask for address which i cannot give...

then im not too sure mate........good luck

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
I use version 1.2.2,0. Always been successful for me.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I have zero direct experience with this, but I remember reading somewhere that a USB/serial convertor won't do the job - it has to be a "real" serial port on the PC.