Ethernet doesn't work!

lewisjsuk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've just got my DM8000, added a 320GB HDD and additional cable and terrestrial tuners. Ran through the setup wizard, but cannot get the ethernet connection to wotk. Checked the Cat 5 cable, which is OK and the switch doesn't have any MAC filtering set.

Anybody got any ideas, or solved a similar problem? I'm beginning to suspect a faulty DM8000!

Cheers

Scott

sammmy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dream box
My Location
uk
you need to set your router to your broadband connections first.if you download nabilo image 0.10 by using web interface the image will find your connection
find your dream ip address by rebooting and pressing downarrow button will appear in you dream.put the ip in your we interface web address then flash the image

lewisjsuk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Sammy, sorry if I'm being a bit thick, or slow on the uptake, but I'm not sure I follow you when you say "you need to set your router to your broadband connections first.". I'm not trying to put another image on the box just yet, although I will, once I have got a better understanding of the box operation and the right way to reimage, as this doesn't seem as straightforward as with other boxes and I don't want to toast a £1000 box!

Anyway, perhaps I should explain the situation better:

The DM8000 is vanilla, straight out of the box with factory settings.
I have it plugged into an ethernet network switch, which in turn is connected to my broadband router.
DHCP server is enabled and working on the router and there is no MAC filtering enabled on the router.

The status/activity lights on the network switch port connected to the DM8000 do not light at all, I've also swapped the connection to another port which had a working host connnected with the lights flashing, but still nothing when I connect the DM8000. I have also swapped ethernet cables to a known working one.

With the network cabling attached I have performed a factory reset from the menu and run through the setup wizard, I select to use wired ethernet, enable the interface and use DHCP, but when the wizard completes, it reports that the network isn't working. I have run through this procedure several times with no joy and through all of this, no activity was seen on the switch port's LEDs, which to me indicates the ethernet port isn't working at the hardware level.

Are you saying to enable the ethernet, I need to press the down arrow next to the power switch during power-up, i.e. using rear mains switch, or the front power button from standby?

Thanks for your advice and assistance.

Regards,

Scott

Replay 2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream Box 8000
500 GB Samsung HDD
Sony DVD
My Location
Dubai, U.A.E.
I also sometimes get the message that the network is not working, but it works!

What happens when you try to use the web browser to control the dm8000?

To do this .. you need to know the IP of the dm8000. to find it out.. switch off from the back, hold the down arrow switch at the front while switching on from the back. keep holding till you see the ip number of the box. switch off from the back and swith on back and let it boot normaly.
Feed the ip number ( you did note down didn't you?) into your browser and if you could see the web control than all is fine.

lewisjsuk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Replay 2 said:
I also sometimes get the message that the network is not working, but it works!

What happens when you try to use the web browser to control the dm8000?

To do this .. you need to know the IP of the dm8000. to find it out.. switch off from the back, hold the down arrow switch at the front while switching on from the back. keep holding till you see the ip number of the box. switch off from the back and swith on back and let it boot normaly.
Feed the ip number ( you did note down didn't you?) into your browser and if you could see the web control than all is fine.

Thanks for the message Replay, I tried as you suggested, powered off at the rear, ethernet connected via switch to router, powered on at the rear whilst holding the down arrow button on the front panel. I held it there for about 1.5 minutes, all that was displayed besides the dreambox and DREAM multimedia logo was "dhcp..." in the lower right of the display and below that on the left "*** STOP ***".

I think my box is buggered, just did a services search after setting up the diseq switching and it didn't find any services either!

Anybody got any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far.

Cheers

Scott

sammmy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dream box
My Location
uk
i am sorry to say your holding the wrong button
if you want to see your dream 8000 ip address you must hold the down arrow.you got up and down arrows for changing Chanel .hold the down arrow when you power the dream box

lewisjsuk

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sammmy said:
i am sorry to say your holding the wrong button
if you want to see your dream 8000 ip address you must hold the down arrow.you got up and down arrows for changing Chanel .hold the down arrow when you power the dream box

Hi Sammmy,

I'm definitely holding down the down arrow button as stated in my post, just to double check, I tried the up arrow button too, neither resulted in an IP address. I have no activity LEDs on the ethernet port on the DM8000, not sure if the port actually has any, it's too dark in the back of my rack to tell, even with a torch, but if it does have them, they're certainly not lit.

Spoke to the supplier this morning and it's going back to check it out and repair as required, so thanks for all your help, I'll post the outcome once I know more.

Cheers

Scott.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
lewisjsuk, remove the switch from the equation, connect the DM8000 directly to your router and try again.

There is known issues with Diseqc control on the DM8000 at the moment. Get your network sorted and get a decent image on it before you look at scanning channels.