F1 Fans

jocor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
na
My Location
birmingham
Hi everyone.

With what is happening next season (2012) with the Formula1 coverage, I am being forced to upgrade to SkySports to watch every single race.

As I don't follow any other sports, it is really difficult to justify the cost, so I wanted to ask the following questions ;

1) Would I be able to buy a satellite system and pick up free feeds from other countries ?

2) If the answer is yes, then where can I get more info about what kit I would need and where I would need to point it ?

Thanks in advance all.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can get all the races transmitted in the clear via RTL Germany on 19E. (There are adverts but you have to live with that.)

If you buy budget equipment and do all the install yourself you can do it for less than £100.

Better equipment maybe double that.

I suspect we will be making a "sticky" thread for this topic as the season winds down

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can also get RTL in HD but its encrypted and will cost more to get with the requirement for a specific type of receiver, and an ongoing yearly subscription..

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skyline DSR-4000, Grundig GRD250, Ross DVB-S 5010.
Mk3 zone 2 sky dish, 65cm Ross satellite dish, communal fed 28.2.
My Location
Cornwall
There's a little bit of info here that might be of interest _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

jocor

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
na
My Location
birmingham
Thanks, yes I have read that info on wikipedia.

I pay enough out to SKY and certainly do not want to feel forced into subscribing to sports channels that I will only watch one thing on.

What kit would you recommend for watching F1 via RTL then, I would like to be able to record it and watch it at my leisure.

Thanks again.

PS - any other recommendations.
PPS - a sticky thread on this matter would be great.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
One of the very basic kits you get in Lidl / B&Q / Aldi for 60 quid will give you the standard def channels, although the receivers are very low end and you would be expecting to fit such a box yourself (installaton would be more than the kit is worth!)..

One of our installer members would be able to put something a bit better up (the dish mounts can be poor quality on some kits) - each no doubt has their preferred receivers for fta reception, and you would know its been done properly.

srx200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skyline DSR-4000, Grundig GRD250, Ross DVB-S 5010.
Mk3 zone 2 sky dish, 65cm Ross satellite dish, communal fed 28.2.
My Location
Cornwall
I got one of those kits from homebase, £25. I also got one from Aldi at £40 for my dad. The dishes are ok for the price, but the receivers can crash while scanning transponders and can perform factory resets whenever they feel like it.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes the Aldi / Lidl / B&Q receivers are cheap n cheerful but do have their limitations.

@ jocor

The aforementioned kits will get you the channels, but you would need to install the kit yourself and the dish mountts can be poor quality & flex badly.

One of our installer members could do a better quality dish install and suggest a decent receiver - each installer probably has their own favourite fta receiver.

This way you could be guaranteed reception of 19E, and you might want 13E at the same time for a couple of other foreign language free sports channels.

If you think you might be interested post something in the "installer wanted" section and someone will contact you.