Flashing DM500HD with dreamup - what you should be aware of

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
It is not the hard disk that is eSata, it is the enclosure. Akasa make some nice eSata enclosures. Most do not come with a power supply, they take their power from a USB socket (which the Dm500HD does not have), so you have to buy a seperate power supply (5V centre positive typically). The mini USB connector is NOT a USB master socket, it is a client socket, so it cannot support flash or hard drives. If you really want a USB drive, look at the DreamElite site, they show you how to modify your DM500HD to have a USB master socket (it invalidates your waranty obviously). eSata is much quicker than USB, so you are better off with an eSata drive in any event.

powel000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Paraclipse 2.40m solid dish,
Jonsa 1.80m dish,
3.40m mesh dish,
dreambox7020SI,
relook400S,
HUMAX, dream 500hd
90CM DISH,
My Location
AMMAN-JORDAN
Thank you shumifan50 for your detailed response. Would you say its ok to run the dream 500hd as is. without any external hard disk

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
If you don't add a hard disk, or at least map a drive to a NAS or PC then you lose quite a lot of functionality: Recording, pause TV, EPG to mention a few. If you map a drive to another device, remember the functionality is only available when the other device is switched on. So in my opinion you should really install a hard disk. They can be picked up for cheap for a 250GB drive (around £45 last time I looked).
It is possible to run without a hard disk, but you will not have space to store EPG information, so the best you will have is current program and next program for a channel. Naturally recoridng will not be possible, neither will pause live TV as it uses the hard disk. You will be able to watch TV etc.

laziotunisia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
azbox hd
ibm x61
My Location
tunisia
hello
can i flash my DM500 hd with dreamup even no green led working ?
i tryed many times with usb and lan in same time
dream with no green led seem to be dead

laziotunisia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
azbox hd
ibm x61
My Location
tunisia
laziotunisia said:
hello
can i flash my DM500 hd with dreamup even no green led working ?
i tryed many times with usb and lan in same time
dream with no green led seem to be dead
hi
anyone with no green led had dreamup connected ?

zardari7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
copenhagen
i flashed mine via network, i just guessed the IP, i mean the last XX.

like my router has ip 10.0.0.1:2033 so i tried 10.0.0.1 then 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3

on 10.0.0.8 it worked :D

best and easy way to guess the IP!

unsalg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have DM500HD and Toshiba Notebook
My Location
Turkey
Dear Shumifan50
Thank you very much for this very usefull explanation.Because I wanted to flash my dm500hd using the network which I did many times.This time I could not connect.Why I don't know.And I used your advice and flashed very well.
I have eSATA hard disk attaced to my 500hd. At tis point can I ask 2 questions which I would appreciate if you answer.
1- Since 500hd does not have USB how do I use multiboot (I have dreamElite 1.3 installed).Can I use hard disk.
2- I mapped my hard disk to media/hdd and set up my hardisk but I can not be initialized .What do I do to solve the problem.
Thank You Very Much again
unsalg

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
@unsalg:
I would very strongly recoomend AGAINST using multiboot as it can make the box unstable. Pick an image and stick with it. At this point I think DreamElite is the best image.
You can use multiboot on hard disk, but it will mean your disk will be running most of the time as the software will need too load bits of code and data from the disk.
a. Is your hard disk visible under devices?
b. When you say cannot be initialised - do you mean it will not format?

unsalg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have DM500HD and Toshiba Notebook
My Location
Turkey
Thank You shumifian50
I can see hard disk under menu system harddisk.I press hard disk 3 lines appears.
1-hard disk set up:I press it says 10 min. green lbutton OK.
2-İnitialize:I press my kard disk Maxtor 1tb. appears and red button below says initialize.I press after sometime it says''Unable to initialize Hard disk Error: Mkfs failed
Can you explain what this is.
unsalg

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
:unsalg: You do realise hat formatting a 1TB hard disk is going to take a long time and you should not interrupt it. Give it 1 hour or so or until it comes back with a message all by itself.

filip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500HD
My Location
london
shumifan50 said:
What happens when you:
First of all have you got a new COM port in the "serial Port" drop down? I think it will be COM15. If you dont the drivers are not working.

1. switch the box off.
2. Plugin LAN cable AND USB connect to PC.
3. Start dreamup on PC.
4. Tick the 'use network' box in dreamup
5. Set your PC ip address in top left (where it says "local IP(PC)")
6. Set an IP for your dreambox in "Remote IP(box)".
7. Select the COM port which is your newly installed UART bridge COM port (I guess it will be COM15.
8. Click "Connect"
9. It should tell you to switch the DM500HD on.
10. Switch on the DM500HD and it should download the "flash loader"
11. When it finishes, click on "Flash", select the image you want to download.
12. It should now download the image to the dreambox and start flashing it. Wait for it to finish. Do not switch the dreambox off while it is doing it. It takes a couple of minutes.
13. Switch the box off and then on. It should now boot the new image.

Step 12 took 2 hours and then I stopped it. Now I don't have any image on DM. What should I do now?
Help!

filip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500HD
My Location
london
filip said:
Step 12 took 2 hours and then I stopped it. Now I don't have any image on DM. What should I do now?
Help!

No, sorry I do have old enigma on it. It just doing checksum on step 12 indefinitely (I tried 5 different images so far.)
What should I do?

filip

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500HD
My Location
london
filip said:
No, sorry I do have old enigma on it. It just doing checksum on step 12 indefinitely (I tried 5 different images so far.)
What should I do?

Sorted! You need to disable AV & Firewall on your computer!