Have Sky but cant receive Freesat - Please Help!

Tinochelli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Panasonic Viera wi Builtin Freesat & Sky+
My Location
Grampian
Hi all,

I have decided to utilise the built in Freesat on my Panasonic Viera TV but I am having some initial problems. I have done the following to setup my Freesat.

1. I have disconnected my Sky+ co-ax cabling and connected 1 of the cables to the back of my TV.
2. Set the TV to scan frequencies for all Freesat channels but nothing came up.
3. My Sky+ does work when connected so the dish is pointed and as far as I understand Freesat and Sky are on the same satellite.

Has anyone had similar issues setting up Freesat on the Panasonic Viera?

Many Thanks in Advance!

Tino

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Hello

Welcome to the forum Tinochelli
It could be a number of things, firstly the central core may not be protruding out enough from the F connector to meet with the barrel of the TV connection, certainly worth checking. Next check that there is not a short circuit with a fine sliver of braid from the outer cable to the inner. Have you repeated the procedure for both cables? Are the TV satellite settings correct if you think so what are they set at?
Do you know what size dish you have as up in the Grampians it should be zone 2?

Tinochelli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Grampian
Topper,

Thanks for the suggestions. The termination should be ok as my Sky+ setup works fine but I will double check the core and the termination anyway.

I will go through my TV settings and post them on here tomorrow and I am unsure of the dish size but it is one of the oval Sky dishes and was installed about 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Rec45

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motor/Fortec/Octagon
My Location
51.6N / 0.4E
Hi

Once you check there are no cable connection issues, you could try other satellite scan from the menu. Choose auto scan . As satellite you will choose astra2 /eurobird option and choose free tv. Scan may take up to 10-15 mins. If it works, full scan would yield over 330 tv and over 80 radio free channels. It will or should auto store and go out of the menu to take you back to last channel you were viewing. These scan contain all freesat and also other free channels in these two satellites. There are repetions due to regional channels. Fun to organize them ;)

Then try freesat scan again. If still no success , check whether your system auto update is turned on . If not make a manual update. Panasonic updated its freesat softwares On Nov 2010 due to BBCi issue On Nov 2010 . good luck

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Another thing to try is disconnect the Sky+ box altogether and see if the Panasonic shows a signal, it is unfortunate, but Panasonic TVs do not appear to work with all Sky multi output LNBs, nor in fact non-Sky LNBs, you may ulitmately require an LNB swap out to get it to work.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
A slightly mis-aligned dish to the West could also give similar symptoms but still allow the digibox to operate. The Pana will be searching for Eurobird to start it's auto setup. As mentioned, try a satellite scan from the menu as a test.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
When you were unscrewing the lead from the back of the $ly box it's possible that you unscrewed the F plug a little bit from the cable. This could give the shortened centre wire that Topper suggested, it also could give a bad connection on the outer braid.

Tinochelli

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Grampian
Issue resolved....suspected culprit located....1 year old puppy chewed part of the cable & I never noticed!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Keep up the good work

Cheers,
Tino

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Tinochelli said:
Issue resolved....suspected culprit located....1 year old puppy chewed part of the cable & I never noticed!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Keep up the good work

Cheers,
Tino

Now that was unexpected! :D :-righton

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location