Mini Boxes - Error Code MR104 (lost connection to main box)

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

Two Sky Mini boxes are regularly losing connection to the main Sky Q box and generating an error code MR104 message on screen, picture attached.

The mini boxes are all connected to the main box by WiFi and the main box is connected to the BT Home Hub by WiFi.
I think the main box is connected to the BT Home Hub router on the routers 2.4GHz WiFi output?

There is also a white (booster?) box installed that I think is used for WiFi connectivity on the 5GHz band.
I think this is taking a 5GHz WiFi signal from the main box and sending it to the mini boxes.

Can I completely do away with WiFi and have all the mini boxes and the main box hard wired to the BT Home Hub router using BT mini connector powerline adaptors?
When the Sky Q system was installed the engineer swerved away from any attempt at discussing the powerline option and insisted that the WiFi setup was preferred.

It looks like the same two mini boxes are losing connection over WiFi and if possible I would prefer to get everything moved over to hard wired.
Is this an option, or have Sky put some guff in place to cause bugs if using a BT router and BT powerline adapters rather than a sky router?

SKY Q Mini Box.jpg

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
From a recent post on the Sky forum:

"You need to start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router . Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit."

Code:
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Changing-Mini-Boxes-to-Wired/td-p/4068182

Powerline adaptors should be fine provided the condition of the wiring allows enough bandwidth. No issues using a BT router either.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
From a recent post on the Sky forum:

"You need to start with main Q box and first carry out a Network reset with the Ethernet connected.
Network Reset found in Q box Home - Settings - Setup - Network.
Highlight Status and then select Reset on the right hand side. Select connect wired to non Sky Router . Do not carry out any WPS and just wait for the box to connect. It may take a couple of minutes. If it does not connect there is an issue with the Ethernet connection.
As soon as it connects go into the Q box hidden menu and turn off WiFi.

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings.
With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select.
Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

Repeat the network reset on any minis in the Mini Home menu with the Ethernet connected. Again do not do any WPS and just wait for it to connect.
Once it is connected go into the mini hidden menu (same procedure as above) and turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit."

Code:
https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Changing-Mini-Boxes-to-Wired/td-p/4068182

Powerline adaptors should be fine provided the condition of the wiring allows enough bandwidth. No issues using a BT router either.

@ozumo

Thank you, I will give it a go.