Multi Sat configuration on Dreambox DM 800

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400 Super + Dreambox DM800 HD
My Location
Woking
Hi there
I would be glad if someone could help me with the multi sat configuration for my Dreambox DM800. I followed the step by step guide but I'm geting confused on the latitude/longitude part. Since multimap is now bing maps is not showing the lat/lon as described so the results that I've got from my postcode are:

51.3179580867291 -0.578015372157097

What are the numbers that I need to input on the dreambox?

I know the dish works as I have a technomate 5400 and it works fine but I wanted an HD one so i bought the dreambox.

But now all i've got from the dreambox is Tune failed. It worked once when I selected 28.2 Astra (this was the satellite that the dish was pointing to when I was last using the technomate) but I tried to move to other satellites and all I've got is the Tune Failed message and now even the 28.2 Astra is giving me this message. It must be the lat/lon is wrong.
Those are the coordinates that I put on the box:

Configuration Mode: Advanced
Satellite: Astra/Eurobird 28.2E
LNB: LNB1
Priority:Auto
LOF: Universal LNB
Voltage Mode: Polarization
Increade Voltage: Yes
Tone Mode: Band
DISEcQ Mode: 1.2
Toneburst: None
Commited DISEqC command: None
Fast DISEcQ: No
Sequence Repeat: No
Command Order: commited, toneburst
Uncommited DISEcQ command: None
DISEcQ repeats: None
Longitude: 000.578 West
Latitude: 051.317 North
Use usals for this sat: yes

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks for the help!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Change configuration mode to simple and choose DiSEqC to 1.2. Your numbers are correct. Advanced is only generally used for when you have multiple dishes/LNBs connected to the receiver.

Try scanning some channels in as your channel list could be out of date.

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
Captain Jack said:
Change configuration mode to simple and choose DiSEqC to 1.2. Your numbers are correct. Advanced is only generally used for when you have multiple dishes/LNBs connected to the receiver.

Try scanning some channels in as your channel list could be out of date.

Hi there
Thanks for replying
If I change the configuration mode to simple I don't have the option for DISEcQ 1.2... it gives me on Mode: Single, Toneburst A/B, DISEcQ A/B (Port A Satellite Astra and Port B Hotbird - of course you can choose which ones), DISEcQ A/B/C/D (Port A, Port B, Port C and Port D) or Positioner (Longitude and Latitude)
If I connect my Technomate I'm able to change satellites without any problem but not having any lucky with this Dreambox.
Any ideas??

Thanks

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Then you need to pick positioner from the above list. What are the lat/long numbers on your TM?

You have a motorised dish, right?

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
Hi there
Yeah I do have a motorised dish. I couldnt find the lat/lon on the technomate. All I could find was on the motrised dish setup menu of the technomate DISEcq 1.2 but no information there about lat/lon
I had some sort of progress with the dreambox. I did a factory reset and start all over. The dish was already on Astra 28.2 so I did a search for channels there and of course it gave me all the channels then I asked to search on Hotbird 13.0 and gave me some services but after it finished the channels they gave me as Hotbird 13.0 was in fact for the Eurobird 9.0 (Channels like Trace Sports, Trace Urban that are not on Hotbird)
So what I'm doing at the moment is moving the satellites with the Technomate and then switching the dreambox on to watch the HD channels there!!! :-(

Captain Jack said:
Then you need to pick positioner from the above list. What are the lat/long numbers on your TM?

You have a motorised dish, right?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Technomate looks to be set up in DiSEqC 1.2 with saved positions. Set it like in my screenshot... and if the motor was set up correct in the firstplace it will work... And just because the Technomate works doesn't mean the motor is set up right for USALS.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 128

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
Huevos said:
Technomate looks to be set up in DiSEqC 1.2 with saved positions. Set it like in my screenshot... and if the motor was set up correct in the firstplace it will work... And just because the Technomate works doesn't mean the motor is set up right for USALS.

Hi
Thanks for replying
I did the setup as for your screenshot but still doesnt work
I guess your right there - the technomate must be setup with saved positions. To setup the motor with USALS is something that I could/should do or better call someone to sort it out?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
To set up a USALS motor just follow the guide on the forum. Is the motor USALS compatible? What motor is it? Does it move when you select a different satellite on the Dreambox?

goose68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm800hd, 1.0m motorised dish. AMD Phenom 11x4 965, radeon4890, 2 x 1TB, 1 x750GB.
My Location
Northish Scotland
Hi mate,

You are inputting your long and lat wrong, it should be like this on a dreambox, 005.780 West, 051.317 North. I have my dm800's set up like this and they work fine with Usals. This is the guide i use for setting up my tuner, so if you follow this it will work fine.

Here's the USALS procedure that I used.
First make sure the dish is correctly aligned on a satellite, eg Astra 28.2E

Press Menu
Set Up
goto
Service Searching

3476-2jpeg.jpg

Tuner Configuration

3477-3jpeg.jpg

Choose Tuner ALPS BSBE2 (DVB-S2) - Press OK

3478-5jpeg.jpg

Now for my configuration***8230;***8230;..

3479-6jpeg.jpg

Configuration Mode: Advanced
Satellite : Astra 2A/2B/2D/Eurobird 1 (28.2e)
Change LNB to LNB 1
Priority : Auto
LOF: Universal LNB
Voltage Mode: Polarization
Increased voltage: yes
Tone Mode: band
DiSEqC Mode: 1.2
Toneburst: None
Committed DiSEqC: None
Fast DiSEqC : no
Sequence repeat : no
Command order : committed toneburst
Uncomitted DiSEqC command : None
DiSEqC repeats : none

Longitude: Set this to the correct Longitude for your area.
To find the correct longitude settings for your area go to the following website
_hxxp://www.multimap.com
In the "Find a Map" box at the top left of the page, enter your post code.
Select your country in the drop down box below it and click on the "Find" button.
This will display a map on the screen and below the map at the bottom right you
will see your Latitude information, example below for Postcode district:NE39 1
Lat:54:55:09N (54.91913)
Lon:1:44:55W (-1.74859)
So in this example in the Dreambox menu you'd set
Longitude: 001.748
West
Latitude : 54:550
North
Use USALS for this Sat: Yes
PRESS OK TO SAVE
Once this is set up on one satellite its easy to sort the rest.
Go back into reception settings
Highlight satellite and choose the satellite you want
The example here shows Hellas on 39.0E

3480-7jpeg.jpg

Now select LNB and right to LNB 1

3481-8jpeg.jpg

This will fill in the configuration with your previously set configuration
PRESS OK TO SAVE
then scroll back up to satellite
scroll left or right to another satellite
goto lnb scroll right this will automatically set that satellite up
keep repeating this on all satellites needed.

Many thanks to Westkill for this guide.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
goose68 said:
You are inputting your long and lat wrong, it should be like this on a dreambox, 005.780 West, 051.317 North.
Those settings would put him somewhere out in the Irish Sea, but he's in Woking. The settings I posted above are correct.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
If you have to put in wrong coordinates to track the arc correctly, that means that your dish isn't set up correctly.

goose68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm800hd, 1.0m motorised dish. AMD Phenom 11x4 965, radeon4890, 2 x 1TB, 1 x750GB.
My Location
Northish Scotland
Captain Jack said:
If you have to put in wrong coordinates to track the arc correctly, that means that your dish isn't set up correctly.

I was not telling him to put in the wrong cordinates, i think he has been inputing them the wrong way.

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
Ok thanks for helping guys but I tried fo rthe last 2 weeks to sort that out and I officially give up and it will go on ebay
I tried all the forums, read everything about the dreambox, update firmware, bouquets, etc but still cant make this box to work properly.
Tried using USALS, no USALS with no lucky
What happens is that the Technomate moves the dish fine to the right position then if I turn on the dreambox I'm able to watch the FTA channels there (i.e. Astra) but If I ask the dreambox to move to another satellite (i.e. Hotbird) it can't find it (it moves the dish) and if I ask the dreambox to move back to Astra it can't find that back.
The dish is too high and I don't have a ladder to check the maker of the motorised dish of if is USALS compatible.
I tried to contact guys here on the forum that do installation to try to come here and sort it out but they are far away from Woking. One of the guys gave me the name of a company in Woking that do installation but they told me that "Dreamboxes are well known as being poor performers with motorised dishes; I’m sorry but it is not something I choose to get involved with.
The potential for recalls is far higher than other equipment, and of course, all recalls should be completed free of charge."
So there you go not even if you pay people want to have a look!!!
Thanks for the help I appreciate
Cheers

goose68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northish Scotland
I wouldn't give up yet, for a start the sat.xml could only be for 28.2, that could be why you can,t get anything else, or it could be the tuner is just not setup right yet. I don't use the simple setting on mine i use advanced, and when you set it up for one sat, you then have to go back in and do it for every sat you want to recieve, so are you doing that? or have you only set the tuner for the one sat.

Go to the tuner config menu, and post a screen shot of your tuner setting's so i could see what you have, to get a screen grab all you do is open a browser on your pc and type box ip/grab as in 192.168.2.33/grab Don't give up mate.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I've never had problems with Dreamboxes driving motors (except maybe DM500). Take goose68's advice. Also try a local installer (Channel Hopper springs to mind) to come around and help you out.

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
screenshot5.jpg

Hi
Those are the configurations that I entered on the Dreambox
First pic is showing BBC2 working on Astra 28.2 (satellite moved with Technomate)
Pic 2 and 3 is the configuration entered for Astra 28.2
Pic 4 and 5 is the configuration for Hortbird 13.0
Those are the only satellites that I configured the other ones I left as "not configured"
So I'm watching BBC2 and then I try a FTA channel on Hotbird on the screen shows a satellite moving but after a whilte it displays "Tune Failed" and if I ask to go back to BBC2 it again shows a satellite moving and "Tune Failed" so I need to go back to the Technomate move the satellite back.
dont think the motor is setup for USALS I think I need to do a manual scam if theres such a thing and setup a position for each satellite - I guess thats what has been done with the technomate
Is there a way to scam manually satellites and save the position? I know the dish is pointed to Astra 28.2 right now if I start moving the dish east/west untill it gets to the next satellite and so on and save the position for each satellite that i want to watch - mainly hotbird and astra not really bothered with the other ones.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 108
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 108
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 112
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 108

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
First thing to do is go into the Technomate setup and retrieve the DiSEqC 1.2 position numbers. Then it is just a case of entering these into the Dreambox and the motor then will go to exactly the same place the Technomate sends it.

andrelondon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Woking
Hi
On the technomate menu does not show the actual position numbers

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
andrelondon said:
Hi
On the technomate menu does not show the actual position numbers
Not sure on a Technomate, Robbo should know, but normally an satellite in DiSEqC 1.2 is given a number (normally between 1 and 60). The other way you can do it is brute force. On the Dreambox turn off USALS. Once turned off you will have the option to enter position numbers. You will have to go through them one at a time until you see which one matches the satellite you are trying to locate. Or the other way is just start from scratch and store new positions. To store a DiSEqC 1.2 position for each satellite you need to be in advanced mode.

If you can't figure it out I'll post a guide.

Or the other way to sort it out is fudge your longitude, then USALS will work to a fashion. Move the dish to 28ºE with the Technomate and then move it to 28ºE with the Dreambox. Seeing which way it moves and by how much would give you a starting point for what false settings to enter.

BTW, all this is nothing to do with the Dreambox, it is because your motor was never set up correctly in the first place (too many Bengal Lancers out there) .

goose68

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Northish Scotland
Probably get shot down for this, but, i would flash the image on your box again, because i think something is corrupt, it would only take 5 minutes, then you could start from scratch again, and maybe throw on a uptodate channel settings, rather than scanning the sats. Iv'e never really heard of trouble with the 800 and motors, so i would not worry there.