Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
ITV is to cut 40 regional newsroom jobs after announcing plans to merge two separate local news programmes in the south of England in a major restructure of its regional output. Meridian West and most of Central South - two of ITV's smallest news regions - will be brought together to form the new region of Thames Valley.

A full service of new programmes will be launched to cover the region, but the merging of the twoprogrammes will lead to the loss of up to 40 jobs across editorial and production.

Full story -

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,1791328,00.html

(free registration reqd)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Hmm, doesn't seem like good news to me (excuse the pun, not intended!)

Right now, Meridian West (or as we call it: Meridian North / Meridian Thames Valley) has a news service that is far better than the BBC's. It ain't great, it's local news after all (!) but it's far more local than BBC's South Today and staffed by people made of more flexible cardboard. :D

OFCOM already let ITV PLC move the studios from Newbury (which is one of the towns covered by the service) to someplace, IIRC between Southampton and Portsmouth (which isn't part of the editorial area.)

IIRC, when Meridian first got their licence they were supposed to be opening a studio (for links) in each of the large towns they covered. Not a chance of that now!