new tivusat box and no italian channels...

marineville

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tivusat imported from italy with activated smartcard
My Location
uk
hi all. would appreciate some advice for a well-meaning novice. have a neighbour who is italian and bemoaned the scrambled channels so i got her family to send her a new i-can set top box with tivusat card which i instructed them on how to register over in italy. they said they set it up but when i swap from her old humax to the i-can, the installation can only find 30-odd arabic channels.

does this mean that the register didn't happen or is there a setting on the box that i'm not tweaking?

her family in italy don't seem to be the spiciest meatball in the ragu so i'm not sure whether they did what i asked. but if i tap in the card details into the registration website and it HAS been registered, will it acknowledge it?

any help appreciated...

tmarineville

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Not sure what the problem is, but what I can say is that when I installed a dish and Tivusat box it did indeed find all the Italian channels, but they were not watchable without the card being registered.
I assume that the dish is pointed to Hotbird?

Also check which transponders Tivusat uses and make sure that their old receiver gets them ok.

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
see if you can take your box to your neighbor's house and see if it works.
also you may have to rescan the box as well.
check the setups and see if the following is correct.
satellite hotbird
lnb l.o 9.750/10.600 ( anything else is incorrect)
lnb power on 22 khz actice
crossover 11.7 ghz
also that only one box is on this line as well.
if you have 2 boxes running the same line there will be a conflict
ralph

marineville

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
seriously didn't expect to get replies so soon! thanks...

can't take it to a neighbour as it needs a dish. anyway, she already has italian tv (for several years) through a humax box so the dish is already aligned and set correctly, just some scrambled channels with the humax.

but, when i swap them around and use the new box with the card, that's when i only get the arabic channels when i scan/install. logic tells me that it's sort of working but that something is incorrectly set.

my only thought is that the card hasn't been activated (but i've no idea what one would be able to see with an unactivated card) or some settings are wrong... i'll check the set-top setups as suggested, ralph, thanks for the info.

any other informed advice really welcome as this is making me feel stupid and inadequate and she's now looking at me like i've broken it!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Does the Humax get these channels on 13E Hotbird?

_http://www.flysat.com/tv-it.php

pipino

Back from the dead
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2X Channel Master 1.20 , 1X Channel Master1.80 ,1X Channel Master 2.40, Motorized Gibertini OP150 , Motorized Fibo MF90 ,, 70cm eliptical raven ..hirschmann fibre glass 1.20m
My Location
Comunidad Valenciana..ESPAÑA
smells old gen LNB to me ..how old is the install??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
pipino said:
smells old gen LNB to me ..how old is the install??
May well be, easy to check in the old Humax satellite setup menu.

marineville

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
all good ideas. will endeavour to check somethings out without turning it into my life's work.

the humax box gets all the italian channels (and all the hundreds of others too). it's the fact that too many of the italian channels scramble some of their output that prompted the new putchase.

as i said, the new box only seems to pick up one arabic satellite, which bunches up about 29 arabic channels. nothing else on the searches...

if the old lnb works with the signal for the humax fine and dandy...

appreicate all the input so far... i hope to crack open a virtual bottle of bubbly once i make this thing work!

(in advance) cheers!

i-CANhelpYou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite support geek :)
My Location
Milano
Hi

0) They can check here _http://www.tivu.tv/sat/servizi/verifica-la-tua-smartcard.aspx?tx=128&txp=194 if the smartcard is active
1) Is the box the only box connected? If not, try to connect only the ICAN
2) Is the antenna system a single feed one or dualfeed (hotbird/astra). In the second case they need to configure the tone burst / diseqc or unicable depending on the system they have
3) Is the LNB of Hotbird connected to the right LNB port, usually 1. If not, some of our decoders allows you to configure the antenna option to have hotbird on LnB2 and astra on LNB1
4) try to search manually the channels _http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html For RAI: freq 10992 Vertical symbol rate 27500 FEC 2/3
5) try with the diagnostic menu’ to see the quality of the signal

Moderation Note

Please do not post live links to sites outside the forum

marineville

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
neighbour was too embarrassed to ask for my help again but it's still the same problem. she can get all the italian channels (but with occasional scrambled programmes) but when i do a straight swap of her humax for the ican and do auto scan for channels all i get is 19 arabic channels.

her card has been activated (i checked from previous advice) and i even took up someone else's suggestion and replaced the lnb... nothing.

after half an hour, i give up and refit her old humax becuase it's almost perfect...

the dish is still pointing to where it has been for the last 12 years so it's a constant.

so, what's wrong with the ican and why is it only picking up (presumably) the one signal/transponder/satellite/whtever it is?

the ican finds the same 19 channels whether the card is in or not, whether i use the top or bottom slot which suggests to me that the card is doing nothing... it's as if the ican just can't see anything other than the (presumably) fta arabic channels. surely it should be able to find german, cypriot, polish and all kinds even if the card was activated, no?

i need someone clever to help me!

best

marineville

i-CANhelpYou said:
Hi

0) They can check here _http://www.tivu.tv/sat/servizi/verifica-la-tua-smartcard.aspx?tx=128&txp=194 if the smartcard is active
1) Is the box the only box connected? If not, try to connect only the ICAN
2) Is the antenna system a single feed one or dualfeed (hotbird/astra). In the second case they need to configure the tone burst / diseqc or unicable depending on the system they have
3) Is the LNB of Hotbird connected to the right LNB port, usually 1. If not, some of our decoders allows you to configure the antenna option to have hotbird on LnB2 and astra on LNB1
4) try to search manually the channels _http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html For RAI: freq 10992 Vertical symbol rate 27500 FEC 2/3
5) try with the diagnostic menu’ to see the quality of the signal

Moderation Note

Please do not post live links to sites outside the forum

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello,
how old is the dish and lnb???
it sounds like the lnb is stuck in one polerization.
here is some tips.
see if the lnb is universal.
see how old the lnb is.
look in the box menu and check the following:
lnb power on
lnb universal ( scr is the wrong setting and will not work)
lo freq 9.750/10.6 ( 10.00 or 9.70/10.75 is wrong and will not work)
cross over 11.700
look at the lnb it should have the cable running under and the lnb f connoctor should be pointing down.
if it is off to one side like a sky dish it will not work.
thats because the skeu is off and the poleration will be off as well.
just some tips
ralph