dm800HD Receiver
DM500s Receiver
also
Gemini 90 Dish
Stab HH120 Motor
Smart Titanium LNB
My Location
Surrey/Hampshire
Hello, Im putting together a motorised system. I think I know what im doing with most of the components but I would like some advice on my choice of dish.

With regards performance how does the 90 cm Gemini compare with the 100cm Gibertini or any other 90 or 100 cm dish? Is the shape of the Gemini an advantage or disadvantage in real world use?

Ideally Id like to keep the dish as small as possible (Ive only got a small house!) so Id prefer the 85 cm Gibertini over the 100 cm but at the same time Id obviously like to pull in as much as I can.

Any thoughts, good or bad would be very much appreciated.

EDW

Reaction score
Dishes over 90cm need planning permission. The man at the council said this includes dishes in the garden/patio but I don't believe him.

If, like me, you live in a conservation area, or listed building any dish even Sky minis attached to the fabric of the property require planning permission.

Consider a Raven 90cm which can take 5 Lnb's (they claim) or a Chanell Master 90cm with motor. Chanell Masters are quite hard to get these days.
I think the maker went bust.

Shop around. Don't use cheap brackets, you will regret it when the first time a big storm hits.

howc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 Alloy Dish
Moteck SG2100 motor
dm800HD Receiver
DM500s Receiver
also
Gemini 90 Dish
Stab HH120 Motor
Smart Titanium LNB
My Location
Surrey/Hampshire
Planning is a good point, whilst I dont live in a conservation area, I do have neighbours close on either side of me and Im not sure I can be doing with them trotting off to the planners complaining about the size of my dish.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The 90cm Gemini dish is a good performer, the horizontally eliptical design apparently improves vertical separation between satellite clusters.

90cm is the maximum allowed dish size without planning in most areas, if you are concerned about the appearance to the neighbours, you could always consider mounting the dish on the back of the house, but looking over the roof.

howc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 Alloy Dish
Moteck SG2100 motor
dm800HD Receiver
DM500s Receiver
also
Gemini 90 Dish
Stab HH120 Motor
Smart Titanium LNB
My Location
Surrey/Hampshire
Thanks for the help. As a sort of update I have been advised by one stockist of the Gemini that they do not recommend it for a motorised system because of its weight. I cant find any information about its weight but is this really going to be an issue or should I look at getting an aluminium dish instead? ( as they recommend). I see that the Raven website states that there is a 90+ dish which has aluminium reflectors. I havent found anyone who stocks it though. There also seems to be a distink lack of 90cm aluminium dishes out there can anyone recommend one?

whitby

Reaction score
The Gibertini 85 cm is a good performer,and you wont have the hassel of plannig permission.Also the Televes 80cm is quite good.Try Hisat for the Gibertini range.
Decisions,decisions.
Have fun..................:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are concerned about the weight, the HIRSCHMANN PERFECT 90cm Offset Dish is aluminium and very well made, but we are talking of three times the price.

If the dish is not in an exposed position, then a 90cm Raven should be fine on a heavy duty DiseqC motor.

howc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 Alloy Dish
Moteck SG2100 motor
dm800HD Receiver
DM500s Receiver
also
Gemini 90 Dish
Stab HH120 Motor
Smart Titanium LNB
My Location
Surrey/Hampshire
Hi All

Just an update to say thanks for the advice. After considering your comments (and not being able to find anywhere to buy an 88 cm Funke or 85 cm Gibertini), Ive decided to go with the Gemini 90. Just got to wait for it to arrive. :D

Thanks again.