Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Zorba said:
I think its the other way round.

Thank you, Zorba. I am not sure, again, as I read somewhere that big PF dishes see Astra 2A, 2B and 2D separately- and you have to motorise the dish for that!!! I am really not sure. We need Channel Hopper, Ralph, Robbo, Analoguesat and others to visit this thread here.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Did someone call my name ?? :D

I cant help much with big dishes - the biggest one Ive ever had to play with is just 1m. SWMBO wouldnt mind me getting a big dish but I think the neighbours would complain. They all think Im nuts anyway.

I do know that as the dish diameter increases the boresight (acceptance angle) decreases, but after that it gets a bit hazy :D

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's too late in the evening but I'll try to pull it all together.

From another post here

If a prime-focus dish and off-set dish have the same f/D ratio then, by the laws of physics, they will have the same gain. There will be a slight advantage to the off-set as the LNB and arm won't be shading the dish but otherwise they will be the same.

The thing is that they generally aren't the same. The deeper a dish is, the lower is its gain. Why would anyone not want a dish to have as much gain as possible? Well, the problem is that a shallow (high gain) dish has poorer rejection of unwanted signals from the side compared to a deep dish and sometimes it's more important to reject the interference.
The smaller the f/D ratio, the deeper the dish. O/S dishes have an f/D of about 0.6 - 0.65 while PFs tend to be about the 0.5 mark I think.

Putting it another way, O/S dishes are generally flatter than PFs so that means that O/S dishes are optimised for gain rather than signal rejection.

Hope I've got it the right way round.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Pretty sure you got it the right way round Paul.

The Focal length of a PF dish can be calculated by the equation F= (D^2)/(16xDepth), where D= diameter.

Therefore if the dish is deeper the focal length will be shorter.

The biggest dish Ive messed with is a 1.8, rather miniscule compare to a 3.7m, LOL.