Reports predict bright future for mobile TV

Satdude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
Ireland
Reports predict bright future for mobile TV

Mobile television has been given a fillip by the publication of two reports that promise a glowing future for the burgeoning medium. According to a study by technology publisher Informa Telecoms & Media, mobile TV will experience significant growth over the next five years, after phone owners have experimented with viewing over their handsets during the FIFA World Cup.

Informa predicts that £161m of revenue will stem from football fans making use of television services on their mobiles during the tournament. And the company's new report also forecasts that around 210m mobile owners will be accessing streamed and broadcast TV services by 2011, with the Asia-Pacific region accounting for around 45% of subscribers, followed by Europe with about 33%. Take-up will initially be steady, and then be followed by rapid growth.

Meanwhile, the UK's Portio Research has discovered that a significant number of Europeans are interested in the concept of mobile television, with around 50% of handset users prepared to pay an average of €10 (about £7) for "all you can eat TV"—sustained viewing at home, as opposed to "snacking" while on the move.

And 60% of people surveyed for the research company's new report, New Mobile Services—Europe 2006, expressed a willingness to use and pay for video calling (though only 6% had so far made use of the format).

However, 65% of respondents expressed zero tolerance for mobile advertising, which they regarded as intrusive—especially when featured during paid-for content—and likened to spam e-mail.

The latest reports from Informa and Portio follow a forecast earlier this year from internet research firm eMarketer that worldwide users of paid or sponsored mobile broadcast video services will exceed the 100m mark by the end of 2009.

Regards Satdude. :D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Satdude said:
Informa predicts that £161m of revenue will stem from football fans making use of television services on their mobiles during the tournament.

Problem with football on a mobile - the picture's that small you can't see the ball :-doh!