RGB vs CVBS on TM-5402 M3

Bamboccio

Reaction score
I just realised that my AV setting was on RGB which seems to lock the resolution (video format) to 576i; changing the setting to CVBS has instead allowed me to increased the resolution to 1028p.

I am not sure why as I am not using the AV socket but HDMI.
I wonder if anyone has noticed the same.

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The TM5402 was a decent enough (but flawed) receiver in its time but is well past its prime now (& Im saying that as someone who still has one as the daily user box)

Bamboccio

Reaction score
The TM5402 was a decent enough (but flawed) receiver in its time but is well past its prime now (& Im saying that as someone who still has one as the daily user box)
Now that I spotted this issue i am quite happy with it :cool:

Rutep

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird 13 east
My Location
Iceland
This is interesting. RGB is generally said to be of better picture quality than CVBS.

I see this receiver Technomate 5402 has the ability to record two channels at the same time.
I have had no luck in doing that on Amiko Alien 2. It is also supposed to be able to record two channels.
Maybe one should look at the manual on the former receiver. Owner´s manuals can be useful and clear - or not. Neither useful about that matter.
Here is an exceptionally good manual for another type of equipment

Last edited:

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
This is interesting. RGB is generally said to be of better picture quality than CVBS.
Yes when using SCART output RGB is far superior. When using HDMI the option, if given, is generally between RGB or YCbCr - there's usually little to no discernible difference between the two.