satanta (the end)

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA only , sl 65 comag,80cm motorised sited
1300Ft in highest village in Wales,next door to coed llandegla.
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Having read the lead story on page one of the site, it will now be only
months before Satanta closes, the greed and inner dealings by the FA
Clubs and Murdoch will ensure satanta goes.

So much for a free bidding market.

Not that it bothers me as I will never watch pay tv(my choice), but in this recession any competition to greed will be seen off.

Banks, Politicians , Sly,FA, Premier Clubs are in another world that is protected it would seem for greed. and any competition to greed axed.

Good Bye Satanta I only wish you could take Sly with you.

Bob my opinion

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Well its better than paying 2 subscriptions for premier football.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If more people went to local matches and spectated/took part rather than sit down in front of the TV to watch only the high rollers duck and dive, this would never have happened.

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Zorba said:
Well its better than paying 2 subscriptions for premier football.

better to pay none, but then thats me.

Bob

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Channel Hopper said:
If more people went to local matches and spectated/took part rather than sit down in front of the TV to watch only the high rollers duck and dive, this would never have happened.
Yeah but its an expensive and long flight to go to Stamford Bridge every two weeks.
So,ban live football in UK and let Sky broadcast to the rest of the world legally.(and cheaply)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i don't mind paying for setanta as it shows boxing and european football but it does cost a lot if you have sky sports as well

but is it best to only have one provider and let them dictate the market and charge whatever they like, which they are doing to pubs which is why some of them are going under because of it.

football is too expensive as the clubs are just giving in and paying the players the high amounts to keep them from going elsewhere.

also is the premier league rights really worth all that money sky have paid, i don't think so

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Yeah but, over here if you want premier football you subscribe to showtime .If you also want champions league you subscribe to art sports. If you also want fa cup,internationals,formula 1 you subscribe to jsc sports. Add it all up and what do you get ?
A search for the nearest dreambox supplier.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It seems that very few people remember (or conveniently forget) what it was like in the pre-sky days, there wasn't loads of football on TV free to air. Very few matches were televised, very few matches were even filmed in their entirety and there were only a couple of games on TV per week. If you wanted to watch football regularly, you went to a football ground.

Pubs are not closing because of the price of Sky commercial subscriptions, they are closing because pub rents are too high, because the prices they have to pay for their beer are too high, because it is no longer acceptable for people to drink and drive, because there is a recession, and because people who like to smoke with their drink are no longer permitted to and now prefer to stay at home. Lots of reasons, but to pin the closures solely on the cost of Sky's commercial subscriptions is disingenuous.

Unfortunately you can't put the Genie back in the bottle, the fundamentals of how football is financed have changed and it is unlikely that they can ever return to the original bums on seats concept. TV or perhaps Internet rights income are likely to be in the driver's seat for the foreseeable future, whether we like it or not.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Pubs ... are closing because pub rents are too high, because the prices they have to pay for their beer are too high, because it is no longer acceptable for people to drink and drive, because there is a recession, and because people who like to smoke with their drink are no longer permitted to and now prefer to stay at home. Lots of reasons, but to pin the closures solely on the cost of Sky's commercial subscriptions is disingenuous.

Funnily enough, the reason I go to a pub is to drink and chat with friends about the quality of the beer / food on offer, plus the weeks events, a bit of beermat technology and anything else that comes to mind after the third pint.

Landlords should be doing their best to tempt patrons, but a 'watch Sky' chalk board outside and the inability to hear anything the bloke next to you is saying doesn't really tempt me to part with my money at their establishment, regardless of how well they can pull a pint.

paul362

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Funnily enough, the reason I go to a pub is to drink and chat with friends about the quality of the beer / food on offer, plus the weeks events, a bit of beermat technology and anything else that comes to mind after the third pint.

Landlords should be doing their best to tempt patrons, but a 'watch Sky' chalk board outside and the inability to hear anything the bloke next to you is saying doesn't really tempt me to part with my money at their establishment, regardless of how well they can pull a pint.

I have to agree with the above statement' If I go to a pub I don't want to walk into a big screen football pitch with all the noise and shouting that goes with it ! thats what keeps me from going out to a pub with the family (and of course the prices these days.):-Nooo

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
So,ban live football in UK and let Sky broadcast to the rest of the world legally.(and cheaply)

The last two words are not understood by Sly, anyone saying cheap
and works for Sly will be forced to read the Sun.

Bob

PS I put Sly so as not to give a live link.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
coloured pony said:

The last two words are not understood by Sly, anyone saying cheap
and works for Sly will be forced to read the Sun.

Bob

PS I put Sly so as not to give a live link.

You are not being very consistent are you and what is wrong with a live link to sky?

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Topper said:
You are not being very consistent are you and what is wrong with a live link to sky?

Most websites do not allow live links, e g TW/DS and this site
told me not to show live links, thats all.

Bob

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
coloured pony said:
Most websites do not allow live links, e g TW/DS and this site
told me not to show live links, thats all.

Bob

You are confusing the rules with your own interpretation of the rules. There are certain keywords such as sky or argos that automatically create a link and that is fine, indeed I understand we get a very small amount of revenue from that, but what is not fine is if you post a URL such as
_http://www.mymisunderstanding.com but without the _ infront which makes it become live, that we do not want

coloured pony

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bwlchgwyn,Wrexham County
Topper said:
You are confusing the rules with your own interpretation of the rules. There are certain keywords such as sky or argos that automatically create a link and that is fine, indeed I understand we get a very small amount of revenue from that, but what is not fine is if you post a URL such as
_http://www.mymisunderstanding.com but without the _ infront which makes it become live, that we do not want

OK understood, if News Int are paying you thats excellent

Bob

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110 ..... No fixed location
My Location
Monmouth
At the moment i am using a Top Up tv card, with a old On Digital box. and they offer me setanta freee for 6 months i was like fine. However the quality they throw out on freeview is rubbish, it looks like compressed mpeg1 !