Derry/Donegal
just starting out at the installations and looking for a satellite meter

northern ireland area pick up would be preferred

Jordie

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
What's your budget. For 225 GBP you can get a brand new Satcatcher Digipro IIIS which is a pretty comprehensive meter with spectrum display.

satellitesuperstore.com

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
I have a Satlook micro G2 for sale it has NIT technology which is a must!! yours for £250 and i will deliver it. like new comes with instructions.

I have the satcatcher Excel TV it had to go back. that was 600 quid. kept turning itself off and it.

Review of my meter is here. this is the + version, this is a software upgrade. i have found that i never needed the "pluss" features though and it works just fine!

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/.../158402-emitor-satlook-micro-g2-nit-demo.html

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
chavo said:
I have a Satlook micro G2 for sale it has NIT technology which is a must!! yours for £250 and i will deliver it. like new comes with instructions.

I have the satcatcher Excel TV it had to go back. that was 600 quid. kept turning itself off and it.

Review of my meter is here. this is the + version, this is a software upgrade. i have found that i never needed the "pluss" features though and it works just fine!

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/.../158402-emitor-satlook-micro-g2-nit-demo.html
NIT is just a feature, not essential. In my opinion a decent spectrum display is much more important.

Re: your meter kept turning off. Any meter can go wrong. The good thing with Satcatcher is the after-sales. Satcatcher meters have 2 years guarantee. I had a minor problem with mine after 18 months hard use and Satcatcher swapped it for a new one no questions asked. The replacement arrived 3 days after the original left Spain. If he buys a second hand meter he's not going to have any sort of guarantee. And for the price you want for the Satlook he could have a new one, guarantee and all for 20 GBP more.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
NIT is just a feature, not essential. In my opinion a decent spectrum display is much more important.

Do not believe the above quote. One day, on a particular installation, you will need NIT.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
Do not believe the above quote. One day, on a particular installation, you will need NIT.
Can you give an example?

Once you know the fingerprint of a satellite (or overlay it with a known spectrum trace) it would be difficult to make a mistake. The same can't be said for NIT though. There are so many false NIT entries that identifying satellites that way is far from conclusive. Here is an example. It's the latest satellite at 26ºE (Badr 5) and the NIT identifies it as "JMC 19.2ºW".

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Huevos said:
There are so many false NIT entries that identifying satellites that way is far from conclusive.

Yes, I've had false entries too but then again I knew where I was. Can be a handy tool if peaking on the unknown, when working.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
Can you give an example?

Once you know the fingerprint of a satellite.....

Just answered your own question.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Channel Hopper said:
Just answered your own question.

Point taken, but even if you don't recognise the spectrum image you can easily work it out from the neighbours. What I'm really getting at though is a meter is a package; every feature is an extra tool, either in satellite finding or fault finding; and no single feature is the be all and end all.

On the Satlook range what I really like is the ability to switch between 13 and 18 volts and 22kHz on and off at the touch of a button, rather than being governed by preloaded transponder data. Makes it so quick to see if everything is working in all four configurations.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
Point taken, but even if you don't recognise the spectrum image you can easily work it out from the neighbours.

Not necessarily. On a number of occasions when I have been installing in foreign lands, the familiar satellites are either non existent, or the footprint is totally different owing to the beam covering the area. Locating a satellite by spectrum only at c-band is also hit and miss as many transponder frequencies are shared among the big birds.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
IMO, if you ar a novice as the OP has stated, just starting out. i have had NIT and spectrum i found spectrum to be very confusing and NIT to be great. on a motorised rig i always found south then went for 0.8 but i often got 4w. not much of a gap between them, NIT or Sat match will tell you straight away if you are out.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Chavo, the big difference between identifcation through spectrum and identification through NIT is that NIT requires signal lock and correct info in the table. Spectrum does not.

It's a bit like this, your driving down the road and you see someone you recognise as a friend just by glancing at them. That's spectrum. NIT would mean stopping the car getting out and asking them to show ID to proove they really are the friend that you recognise them as, and not an imposter. And it would also rely on the ID produced being good.

jordie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky hd
spiderbox 9000hd with motorised dish.
My Location
Derry/Donegal
as i say im only starting out, what is nit? i got an older horizon box which seems to have all i need for now. any tips or what satellites i should have on it let me know.

thanks

lesontour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong
My Location
aust
looking for a secong hand rover that does dvb s2 any out there

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your best bet is to try ebay, although S2 meters are unlikely to be commonly available second hand.

martinuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, C120 Invacom 0.3 LNB & Feedhorn, with Tm.Vbox &Technomate 5402HD
My Location
uk-stoke-on-trent
I use digisat pro meter 45 pound on ebay does me fine

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
My st2 is up for grabs

lesontour

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong
My Location
aust
a st2 would be fine but it has to be the plus model the standard st2 doesnt do dvb-s2