signal quality

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
I mentioned this in another thread. I just installed a 96cm andrews/channel master with andrews feedhorn and 0.3db inverto lnb pointed on thor. I have spent about two hours moving the dish up and down side to side aswell as twisting the lnb to get the best signal, But all i can get is 78% quality on canal nordic, most of the digi tv channels are 69% to 72% which this mornin have dropped to 66/67% even though its a sunny morning here. And there is one strong transponder on digi tv thats 82%. These figures are from my technomate 1000d which i used to install th dish. I cant understand as with an 88cm triax in my mothers house i get the same figures. I thought with my channel master dish a bit bigger and a andrews feedhorn i would get a bit more. What im worried about is when it rains the lowest quality channels will freeze.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I doubt they'll freeze - seems to be a decent set of figures.

Strange thing, Quality and Strength Metering: Affected by length and type of cable and the inter-action with the LNB, as well as varying in the way it is implemented in different Receivers.

Even though in this particular case you are comparing the same Receiver on different Dishes, I think that the comparison is not necessarily a valid one and you'd be better advised to treat them as totally different systems.

ie Just get used to the relative readings on your new system and determine empirically what the lock level and rain margin is.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
66/67% is on the brink of picture breakup on the TM1000 super. This is a figure I have noticed many many times on lots of different satellites, dishes, LNBs and systems.

Bbigfoot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400irc
80cm Dish
Invacom 0.3 LNB
ToH 3.3 5.7.

P4 Xp home
3.2 pro.
My Location
Tyne Wear
Hi jpsr,

The best setting for your LNB on (0.8w) is,
turn (Turn = Scew) the bottom of the Lnb 3% off
Vertical to your left as you look at the dish.

I turned a S+y zone 1 dish (45cm) to (1w & 0.8w)
pulled in a Sig Quality on Film HD of 60%, turned
the S+y Lnb from its 15% to the left of Vertical
to just off Vertical, that uped the Film HD Sig to 92%.

BF...

jpsr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 channel master, cm polar mount, 12 inch actuator, Andrews feedhorn, Inverto lnb, Superjack positioner, Dreambox dm 500s, Protek 9600ip, 1m channel master with black ultra & 1m gibertini with technomate twin output lnb on astra 1/2, TM 5200 & 1000
My Location
Mullingar, Ireland
ye i have the lnb turned to the left as you said. Its heavy rain here this morning and the weekest channels which were at 69% have dropped to 66% with no picture freeze. id say below 63% and ill have breakups.There is only one channel with breakups and thats mtv adria which is weird cause it was at 70% and the other channels on the same transponder are perfect, but overall im happy was worried id have a problem with the rain.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good stuff - enjoy your viewing! :)