Sky Q in Latvia

wombat57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Latvia
Hello, I've been watching Sky TV reasonably successfully in Latvia for some time. Admittedly only about half the channels work, as the second Astra satellite isn't accessible from here with a normal-sized dish.

I've now been offered a Sky Q box - will this work in Latvia? The difference seems to be that Sky Q has to connect to the internet, and I don't know how to configure that to think I'm in the UK! Is there a simple way of circumventing this? Or do the programmes still work, without the extra bits that need the internet, like box sets etc (I can't get at them now so won;t miss them)

While I'm at it, would I be able to pick up all or most of the other channels if I invested in a bigger dish? (I remember I was originally told this when I set it up years ago, is it still the case?)

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance...

wombat57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Latvia
Hello, I received one very quick reply, thanks!

But I tried the number given, and it says it's not working. Are there enough numbers? Mine has eight, not five!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
All Sky Q boxes are owned by Sky and are only loaned to the customer until the subscription ends. Therefore I don't think it would be possible to use a second hand box with your current subscription as Sky wouldn't allow your card to be paired with the Q box - from what I've seen Q installations require a new card anyway.

If you had Sky Q installed at a UK address and then shipped it to Latvia it should work without being connected to the internet though there isn't much advantage over a Sky HD box unless you need to record more than two channels simultaneously.

wombat57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Latvia
Aha, thanks for that. I could get it installed in the UK then bring it here. I wondered if it was worth the hassle though (taking existing box back to the UK, then bringing the new one back and trying to install it myself, when they claim it needs a technician to do it)

I asked because the set-up video I watched made a lot of how it had to be connected to the internet. My current box (standard Sky Plus) isn't.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Sky Q install is nothing more than swapping the cables and changing the LNB. One of the features of Q is all the streaming services which is probably why they mention the internet connection. For less hassle you could use a second hand Sky+ HD box but would still need to pair your card (and add HD sub for access to HD channels).

wombat57

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
Latvia
Ah, great, thanks. So I could install it here but the streaming services (which I probably wouldn't use anyway) wouldn't work. One reason I'm considering it is that the monthly price they are offering is significantly cheaper than my current package! Might be worth doing, then :-)

Do you know about my other query - whether a bigger dish would let me capture more channels?

Thanks!