Thoughts on Manhattan Receivers?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I am considering the ST550 Plaza receiver which seems to have everything you could wish for.

After reading many threads i am a bit afraid of buying it, seems very cheap to buy, is the quality the same cheap as the price?

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000IP VIA, Skystar2 PCI c/w ProgDVB 4.85, Pace & Onn Terrestrial PVR's
My Location
North West
Likvid said:
I am considering the ST550 Plaza receiver which seems to have everything you could wish for.

After reading many threads i am a bit afraid of buying it, seems very cheap to buy, is the quality the same cheap as the price?

Must admit, I like Manhattan's receivers- I go back to analogue days with them too (Had one of the first affordable low threshold receivers of theirs), and I've always found them ok-I'm currently on a Starlight 6900 which, apart form the one time return for the fault that seems to have afflicted all of the Starlight range (bot NOT the Plaza range), has been fault free. I like the simple, ordered menu structures and the output quality is as good as anything I've had.

My only complaint is that the entire catalogue of anything outside of the Plaza range is not being supported at all - and considering you can still find some of the Starlite range new on dealers shelves, that's a bit whiffy. Other than that, their support has been ok-on the odd occasion i've had to ask them a question, they've responded with 24 hours, and when the fault occurred they had the receiver back to me with 7 days.

I was considering a switch over to the ST550 myself as the 36v motor, OTA updating and blind search are appealing, as is the PVR function. If there was a USB output on it, it would be just about perfect!!

In short, I think you could do far worse than buying Manhattan product!!

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
I have an ST550, primarily to replace an AD3000 and to use it with a 36V actuator and corotor. In terms of price, it's very good value when you look at all the features. The PVR works well and the blindscan is more flexible than most receivers on the market since the v50 and v60 updates. It's also popular with those who are willing to void their warranty and install the hacked firmware which gives the same amount of channels as a Dragon CAM.

However, it's no replacement for the Echostar IMO. The positioner software is poor, only presenting you with counts as it moves from one sat to another, and no graph showing relative postions. The autosat feature, which calculates the positions of the sats using the east, west and mid sat, is also poor and usually too far east or west by a large number of counts. I also find that the receiver often doesn't come back to the exact position for a sat and you need to continually readjust positions.

The polariser part is also very awkward requiring you to setup a wideband LNB as 4 separate LNBs and even then the blindscan function doesn't work properly with a polariser. The receiver also requires that + skew as V and - as H.

I have also been unable to get the Transponder editing software to work with Satcodx files.

Overall, the ST550 is very good value for the price when you look at the hardware side, but the firmware needs an overhaul before you could consider it as a high-end receiver.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
and its better i think than the topfield which i see you also have.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
the plaza st350 can do just about everything the 550 can do,and is a little cheaper still :-)

TWAG

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
It seems the Echostar AD3600IP is the one for me then.

I had the DVR7000 before and i pretty much liked it but i don't need all these fancy stuff like PVR and WLAN many receiver have these days....

I liked the menus in the Echostar, it was very good, also the remote control was very good and you get a analogue tuner in the Echostar as well.

Problem is that i have to ditch my Moteck motor and buy a Jaeger once again....

inabsentia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3000IP VIA, Skystar2 PCI c/w ProgDVB 4.85, Pace & Onn Terrestrial PVR's
My Location
North West
To give an alternate view, I much prefer the Manhattan to the Echostar 3000. The positioner is at least as accurate, but I really hate the software in the Echostars, extremely cluttered-too many button presses to get to where you want to go-the Manhattans have a very simple, ordered menu structure. Picture quality on my Manhattan is better than anything the Echostar gave me. From the reports and feedback I've had from 3600 drivers, it's even worse on that machine.

If anyone wants an Echostar 3000IPVIA with a brand new PSU in it and in very good condition, just PM me!!

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Bad thing with the old Echostar is that it doesn't have USALS or Diseqc 1.2 which in my case is important as i can't have a 36V motor because it makes too much noise.

Also it seems that the Manhattan ST550 can drive a Ferrite polarizer which means you can set skew per transponder.

With the Echostar you could only set the skew in High or Low band.

M1JWR

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza st550,
1.2m prodelin offset dish,
12in jack/echostar polar mount,
invacom c120 lnb/channel master feedhorn
My Location
The Debatable Lands
The plaza st550 is allright, true the 36v side is a bit strange somtimes, the rest of the box works well enough.
36 volters are a bit thin on the ground these days.
The old analogue manhattans were exellent, the 2500/5500 series were so so and the starlights were very good apart from the dreaded cbs syndrome.
The plaza st's have a simple easy to use menu system, the blind scan works better than most, the best bit is auto pid update,as far as i know they are the only boxes with this feature.
they are as sensitive as anything else.
If only manhattan would release a software update to make the 36v side behave better
Overall very good value for money
Hope this helps