Twin LNB - one only seems to work

cdn-home

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Selfsat H21D antenna + Selfsat 2400 receiver + Panasonic TX-L32G10B

PC= Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 ultimate
My Location
Gloucestershire, U.K.
I have a twin LNB on my satelitte antenna. One produces a good strength and quality, the other only registers Signal strength.

I've checked the cables by swapping the leads around on the LNB and the results are consistent, i.e. only the second LNB outlet gets a picture. I suspect a faulty LNB, but before I send it back, does anyone know of a trick I may be missing, please? Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Your analysis and conclusions seem to indicate a faulty lnb as you say. The only thing I can add is ensuring there is sufficient central core protruding from both cables and repeating the test, perhaps the connecter on the first is further away. What I find odd is that you are getting a signal strength

cdn-home

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Selfsat H21D antenna + Selfsat 2400 receiver + Panasonic TX-L32G10B

PC= Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 ultimate
My Location
Gloucestershire, U.K.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did recut the cable end to expose more core. However I had been testing this twin LNB problem by switching cables between same receiver. I now have tried connecting to a second receiver and that actually worked. So I now have both LNB's producing good signal.
I have no idea why that would be, but problem has been resolved.

Thanks again for your response.

Crisbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Currently, Nokia 1800S with satscan, analogue receiver, Nokia 9800S, D box with DVB2000, 90cm solid offset dish, Panasonic tv with inbuilt freesat. Sky + HD (for the wife, mostly!)
My Location
South Coast, Hampshire
As the two halves of the twin LNB operate as two independent LNBs each one receives its own power supply from the receiver that is attached to it.
I am guessing that you were using a twin tuner receiver, in which case the most likely explanation is that the receiver you were using has either a power fault or a tuner fault on the input that was connected to the half of the LNB that wasn't giving results. Did you try swapping the cables round on the receiver, if you did, did the problem move to the other input or did it stay on the same one. If it stayed on the same input then the problem has got to be at the receiver end.