Two Fires Affect Dutch TV & Radio

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Two fires have affected Dutch TV and radio, leaving about 26,000 people without television and 75% of the Netherlands without FM radio. The Lopik FM transmitter at IJsselstein caught fire within days of the fire in the transmitter tower in Hoogersmilde, Drenthe.

The Hoogersmilde transmitter is 300 metres high, and the fire reportedly occurred on the sixth floor of the tower, about 180 metres from the ground. The fire eventually led to the tower's collapse at 15:30 CET. Nos television reports that the tower may have been hit during a lightning storm, and this caused the fire which disrupted KPN services. Digitenne service was disrupted in Drenthe, Friesland, Overijssel, and Flevoland, while mobile service was disrupted around Hoogersmilde.

Tower operator Novec placed a temporary transmitter in Assen, but Digitenne cannot guarantee the service. They announced that they will be installing a second mast this week, which should restore Digitenne. In the meantime, they have sent their customers an email, informing them of the problem and giving them tips for connecting to other antennas.

In response to the need for television, CanalDigitaal, satellite operator, has placed extra technicians in the affected areas, saying they can provide customers with alternative TV within the next 48 hours.

Mayor January Brothers held a press conference on Friday and explained that there is no link between the fires. It's just an unfortunate coincidence. He explained that there were attempts to extinguish the fire from within the building, but when it proved impossible, the building was evacuated immediately.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
[tube]SAaAU4I4kbg[/tube]