Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Good advice about the Static IP ........ I had to do this for my Wireless Printer as the Lappy and Netbook had a nasty habit of failing to find the Scan function every now and again due to the Router defaults being to allocate Dynamic IPs.

Oddly, the Epson Software did have a driver which could detect the Printer itself regardless of IP, but didn't entirely solve the problem as only Print and local Scan using the button on the Printer would work. Couldn't get Laptop initiated Scan to work ....................... all of which is slightly by the by ................. the point is that delving into the Router and altering the settings to Static IP allocation was not at all difficult.

If I can do it, Pete, I'm darned sure you can!

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Mate, I would start with the image first. Seems silly to me to start configuring the stock image when you are going to flash a new one over the top and lose all your settings.

On the IP address give it a static one. That way if the power goes off you won't have to worry about which IP the DHCP server is going to allocate to each device.

BTW to find which IP the Vu has currently you can access your router config and see which dynamic IPs the DHCP server has allocated.

Thanks, I didn't realize that flashing a new image would lose all my settings - silly really as that's what happened with the Vantage when I updated the software. I'll try to download the VIX 2.0 image and put that on as a first step.

You lost me a bit with 'dynamic ip's' and 'DCHP' but I'll get to that later.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
dynamic ip is just an ip address automatically given to your vu+ once the Ethernet cable is connected to your router.

I want one now, will wait to hear your findings on the solo, how good it records to external disc etc before buying one.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Wod, I can already tell that the tuner is considerably more sensitive than the Vantage, pulling in another half a dozen or so channels from Badr6 which the Vantage couldn't find. I find it's an easier box to get up and running, which surprised me being that it's Linux based. I'll know more when I get that other image on and working. I have managed to set it up in my home network and can see the file structure from my laptop but no further as far as streaming from the VU+ or video from the laptop to it's media player.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Wod, I can already tell that the tuner is considerably more sensitive than the Vantage, pulling in another half a dozen or so channels from Badr6 which the Vantage couldn't find. I find it's an easier box to get up and running, which surprised me being that it's Linux based. I'll know more when I get that other image on and working. I have managed to set it up in my home network and can see the file structure from my laptop but no further as far as streaming from the VU+ or video from the laptop to it's media player.
Have you got a USB memory stick? Not all of them are compatible but if not it just won't work, so there's nothing lost.

The Linux thing is only a problem because it makes the box configurable, rather than idiot proof like a Sky box.

Anyway if you get Vix 2.0.3 we'll be using the same image so it will be easy to help you out with config and stuff like that.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Yes, Huevos, actually bought a Verbatim 2Gb one this afternoon to use specifically for the VU+. Really pleased to say the VIX image is up and running (like it already!) and I'm scanning manually again as I really couldn't be bothered to try and save bouquets at the moment. I'll have a play with it over the next few days and if there is a problem I'll be posting, don't worry! It's not as daunting as I thought either.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'm very encouraged by your efforts and success.

Like most things, I suppose the apprehension over getting stuck in turns out more to be related to unfamiliarity with something new than it does to real complexity and challenge.

One day ..................

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Having had last night and this morning to 'play' and ensure that I hadn't made a huge cock up of the installation, I did indeed surprise myself that everything seems to work. I still have issues with getting FTP to talk to the Solo from my laptop but yes, I suppose getting stuck in rather than prevaricating (which has been and always will be a personal failing) worked.

I am totally impressed with the Solo. The VIX image is a really good piece of software, at the moment I'm using the media player to listen to mp3's of Adele and just before it played a HD copy of a movie without any problem (both from a 16GB USB memory stick). I will write a review of the VU+ Solo comparing it to the Vantage shortly. It does seem to have significantly raised the bar though.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
so tempting to just order one but can't at the moment, FTP should work if you've got the correct details on the pc. I use filezilla to connect with my dm 7020 which is easy enough to use.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
wod said:
so tempting to just order one but can't at the moment, FTP should work if you've got the correct details on the pc. I use filezilla to connect with my dm 7020 which is easy enough to use.
Or if it is for bouquets use DBEdit.

For setting static IP...

Menu -> setup -> system -> network -> adaptor

• Use Interface: yes
  • Use DHCP: no
  • IP address: your chioice, must correspond with gateway IP (192.168.1.20)
  • Netmask: 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: your router IP (192.168.1.1)
  • Primary DNS: your router IP (192.168.1.1)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks for that Heuvos. DBEdit now working and I've dowloaded a channel list, added one or two to a bouquet and deleted some from the main list, then uploaded it back to the VU+........and it all worked!! Well I can see a busy weekend ahead deleting and transferring stuff to a fav list. I'm slowly getting my head round this, mainly due to my determined Scorpio nature!!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, I've subsequently found an unexpected bonus! I entered my Solo 'address' into Firefox and it came up with a very friendly interface ready for streaming tv back to the laptop. Trouble is, when I try to stream it opens Windows Media Player which says it can't play the content. I've an idea VLC Player would work better and has a plug in for Firefox. Any sugestions??

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Try Real Alternative ..................... it comes with Media Player Classic, is light in size and on resources, and will play most anything, even .ts files copied from my Foxsat to USB Stick.

Quick Time Alternative also comes with Media Player Classic and plugs nicely into Firefox.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Well, I've subsequently found an unexpected bonus! I entered my Solo 'address' into Firefox and it came up with a very friendly interface ready for streaming tv back to the laptop. Trouble is, when I try to stream it opens Windows Media Player which says it can't play the content. I've an idea VLC Player would work better and has a plug in for Firefox. Any sugestions??
Use VLC, it's the best media player out there. And if you get bored watching one stream you can always open a few more. :-comp

Attachments

• streaming3.jpg
    streaming3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 55

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, with a clear head and a breakfast under my belt, I downloaded an older version of VLC player, ticked the Mozilla plug in and.......it worked!!

Now watching BBC News and posting this, so it's another step forward. It has problems streaming HD content and I assume you couldn't stream additional channels which are a differing polarisation.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Now watching BBC News and posting this, so it's another step forward. It has problems streaming HD content and I assume you couldn't stream additional channels which are a differing polarisation.
You've only got one tuner so whatever you stream can only be a mix of channels from one transponder and pre-recorded stuff. Streaming to VLC will allow you to watch 4:2:2 feeds.

The HD problem is (most likely) down to the bandwidth of your wireless connection between the laptop and the wireless base unit that the laptop is communicating with. If this is wireless G it is not enough and even wireless N will struggle if the signal is not 100%.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Much as I thought Huevos. For me the only use for a stream to the laptop (apart from a screengrab maybe) would be so I can watch a program whilst having a meal. I think personally it was just a case of proving to myself that I could do it!! (Yes, to stream with more choice, I should have bought a Duo!)

You're probably right about the HD. Although I'm barely 4 metres from the livebox I rarely get 100% signal. I might try upstairs but with half metre thick walls conditions could be better.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Update

Last night, I managed to 'mount' the laptop onto the VU+ and it now has access to my 'public' folder (I'm not entirely sure how I did this). I did stream some video from the laptop to the VU+ but it stuttered at times, so with the wireless constrictions I have right now, it's do-able but not practical. I've yet to try MP3's but I'm guessing they will present less of a problem.

What is giving me grief is Media Player on the VU+! I can watch a movie (loaded on my USB stick) no problem, but if I pause it, I can't seem to get it to resume without it reverting back to the start. I'm sure it's me, however the manual is no help. I'm running VIX 2.0, would changing to VIX 2.0.3 help?

(Edit: MP3's are streaming without a problem)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
What is giving me grief is Media Player on the VU+! I can watch a movie (loaded on my USB stick) no problem, but if I pause it, I can't seem to get it to resume without it reverting back to the start. I'm sure it's me, however the manual is no help. I'm running VIX 2.0, would changing to VIX 2.0.3
I've never used the media player so I can't help you with that.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
I've never used the media player so I can't help you with that.

It's ok, I've largely sorted it by just playing about with the remote.

Bit OT, but is there an easy way to delete skins you've dowloaded, tried and didn't like?