Walking Distance Calculator

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Jmal555 said:
if you already have a Nokia phone with a GPS, you can get a free app for it here:

_http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/main/index.do

Great app, used it a lot myself.

Thanks, but as I mentioned in post #1, I was looking for the cheapest solution, without GPS (implied in the post).

Jmal555

NFL dude
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD, TM-3500 D+ USB PVR, CD Total (FI)
My Location
Surrey
HB13DISH said:
Thanks, but as I mentioned in post #1, I was looking for the cheapest solution, without GPS (implied in the post).

and it would be, if you already had a Nokia phone with GPS... (hence me starting the reply "if you already have...") :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
HB13DISH said:
Makes sense to have just one, for this model.
But for the one with USB, the data would not be accurate if two different persons use it over the logged periods.
Haven't ordered one yet. Just waiting for the next weekend to do it.

Sent SWMBO out on a 3km shortie last evening: The Omron estimated it at 3.03km, which seems to be pretty accurate.

Of course, one test doesn't cast my review in concrete, and we'll do a few more on different terrain.

(Last night's was a local walk with no more than about 100m ascent and descent)

But I do think it will do the job perfectly well for us :)

BTW: It doesn't kick in for a few seconds after it detects motion, which cuts out a lot of spurious guff and will scarcely affect the aggregated totals.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Last week I had a meeting in Tel Aviv area near the seaside.
It was a hot and humid day, but being near the sea, it was really nice.
So after gazing at the waves for 15 minutes, I decided to take a long walk.
After about four Km, I felt a pain in my right side, so I decided to stop walking, and took the bus home. I didn't sleep almost all night.
Few days later, I can still feel some pain.
I don't know what happened on that day. Perhaps I over stretched the stomach muscles as I didn't have a long walk for sometime.
Anyway, I will have to take it easy now, at least until this damn month is over.
Was going to order the gadget from Amazon today. Will give it few more days until I feel back to normal and after consulting with my GP who should be back from holiday next week.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hopefully it's just some lazy muscles waking up!

Meanwhile, SWMBO's user trials are now finished: Consistently credible results for the stride length I entered for her.

I've just set it up for me and will give it a whirl in between routing the Australians at Cricket and driving my Punto around Valencia. It's a busy Sporting weekend!

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Just done a trot around the Moor opposite Tivù Towers and you wouldn't know you were wearing this device.

Clips easily to belt or waistband and had a short strap and secondary clip that you can clag onto eg a pocket, in case you dislodge the main clip.

Seems to count accurately on the flat, uphill and downhill.

Whilst not a Precision Instrument as far as Distance Measurement goes, it certainly does everything you'd want for the price :)

Just got to get it up Scafell Pike now ....................... :-nuts

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
HB13DISH said:
Last week I had a meeting in Tel Aviv area near the seaside.
It was a hot and humid day, but being near the sea, it was really nice.
So after gazing at the waves for 15 minutes, I decided to take a long walk.
After about four Km, I felt a pain in my right side, so I decided to stop walking, and took the bus home. I didn't sleep almost all night.
Few days later, I can still feel some pain.
I don't know what happened on that day. Perhaps I over stretched the stomach muscles as I didn't have a long walk for sometime.
Anyway, I will have to take it easy now, at least until this damn month is over.
Was going to order the gadget from Amazon today. Will give it few more days until I feel back to normal and after consulting with my GP who should be back from holiday next week.

Well I hope you are back to normal now.

Just a brief update: Went out earlier today up a few Hills and down a few Dales, including some steep ascents and several km of mixed walking and I really can't fault the gadget.

Just one slight foible I did notice: As our walk was a car journey away from base, I had left the Omron clipped vertically to one of my Hiking Boots (for safekeeping) during the drive to our start point and discovered it had recorded 700 plus "steps" by the time we got to our destination!

For the return car journey, I left it horizontal and it didn't record anything.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Tivù said:
Well I hope you are back to normal now.

Just a brief update: Went out earlier today up a few Hills and down a few Dales, including some steep ascents and several km of mixed walking and I really can't fault the gadget.

Just one slight foible I did notice: As our walk was a car journey away from base, I had left the Omron clipped vertically to one of my Hiking Boots (for safekeeping) during the drive to our start point and discovered it had recorded 700 plus "steps" by the time we got to our destination!

For the return car journey, I left it horizontal and it didn't record anything.

Thanks Tivù for your concern. I am back to normal now, no idea for how long though.

It is interesting about the car drive recording. It looks to me that this is one hell of a clever gadget, as it sensed that clipping it to a hiking boot means walking and therefore it recorded the data. :-rofl2
I think that I will order the USB model soon, just don't seem to have the time.
August is nearly over thanks goodness.:)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Well SWMBO took a day off today and we did a strenuous 18km circuit of one of our lovely North Yorkshire Dales (Rosedale) and Omron has now proved itself as accurate as it could be (given that it is a Step Counter, not a GPS device) and the error over 18km was about 230m: Bearing in mind a slight navigational error on my part (I was eating an Iced Danish Pastry at the time ............... :-rofl2) the error is even less.

Perhaps I should compliment myself on maintaining an even stride length!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
That's great to hear it Tivù. Did you take any photos? Would love to see some.
You sure know how to pick them (I mean the Omron)

I feel a bit uncomfortable for not buying it yet, as I have other priorities to spend money on, for example a good pair of shoes which is going to be damn expensive by the look of it, and I need to do ultrasound checkup for the kidney which could take few more weeks.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
HB13DISH said:
That's great to hear it Tivù. Did you take any photos? Would love to see some.
You sure know how to pick them (I mean the Omron)

I feel a bit uncomfortable for not buying it yet, as I have other priorities to spend money on, for example a good pair of shoes which is going to be damn expensive by the look of it, and I need to do ultrasound checkup for the kidney which could take few more weeks.

No photos today - although we do always take a Camera and Binoculars with us: Sometimes the panorama is too vast to take meaningful shots.

We did look out for Golden Plovers, which abound in that area, but failed - although we did find one unfamiliar bird that we are still scouring our books to identify.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Right.

The time for playing is over - Omron and I (with SWMBO in tow) are off to the Lake District tomorrow for a week's fell walking in what looks like is going to be pretty decent early autumn weather.

Spare battery packed - the Destructions say the battery included is only a "starter" battery (Thankfully not for a Car ........) so I don't know what its life will be. The replacements (Bog standard CR2032 Calculator/PC BIOS Cell) are supposed to last 6 months.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Have a great weekend.:)
This time, don't forget the camera.
If you make good photos, you can put them on sale in one of the photo selling websites like fotolia.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Wow, that week's holiday went fast!

Some great walking and we've just arrived home for a rest.

Done flat walks, steep and varied climbs, ridge walks, you name it: Omron now surgically attached: Pretty good in every relevant respect and proved very useful for gauging time and distance for return journeys from the mountain tops.

Bones ache.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
HB13DISH said:
This time, don't forget the camera.

Here's a typical Lakeland Scene, taken from the relatively low Castle Crag in the middle of Borrowdale: Wainwright reckoned this was the most attractive square mile up there!

Attachments

• Lake District Scene.jpg
    Lake District Scene.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 21

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks Tivù, it is such a beautiful scenery.
Nothing like green to make a man thinks he is already in heaven, or concrete buildings all around to realize he is in hell.